Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MMA/UFC/PRIDE/K-1 discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭steof1984

well if the ufc are looking to put on the biggest events then put on randy vs fedor that would make more than randy/ brock and both fighters would be there cause of what they have done previously in the sport not what they have done in other sports.

not counting "backstage money" Fedors pay for the affliction card was only 300,000 (now i know there is other variables in there also) but if the ufc are now saying that there committed to putting on the fights fans want to see then go and do it

It just seems like brock i giving special treatment because of his name in the wwe. while i do agree brock and randy will be huge and robably smash all ppv records its just fact that brock doesnt deserve a title shot.

fighters with a 1-1 record dont even appear on the main card let alone fight for the title. I just think the ufc has put money before the sport itself

Can anyone say they feels brock deserves a title shot

• Registered Users Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

steof1984 wrote: »
    well if the ufc are looking to put on the biggest events then put on randy vs fedor that would make more than randy/ brock

Do you really believe that? They've been trying to get Fedor anyway, but they're not going to jeopardise their business to do so

Were you a fan of PRIDE?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

well if the ufc are looking to put on the biggest events then put on randy vs fedor that would make more than randy/ brock and both fighters would be there cause of what they have done previously in the sport not what they have done in other sports.

not counting "backstage money" Fedors pay for the affliction card was only 300,000 (now i know there is other variables in there also) but if the ufc are now saying that there committed to putting on the fights fans want to see then go and do it

UFC has wanted Fedor for a long time; it was Fedor's camp who priced himself out of the market. As of last year Fedor didn’t warrant his asking price as few outside of hardcore MMA fans knew who he was. Frankly Fedor brings a very dodgy, nefarious element with him to the extent he is almost more trouble than he is worth. By the way UFC getting Fedor is contractually impossible at this stage as he has two fights left on his Affliction contract. UFC and Fedor will only negotiate when those two fights are over or if Affliction goes out of business.

Id also seriously doubt you belief that the Fedor fight is bigger.
    It just seems like brock i giving special treatment because of his name in the wwe. while i do agree brock and randy will be huge and robably smash all ppv records its just fact that brock doesnt deserve a title shot.

fighters with a 1-1 record dont even appear on the main card let alone fight for the title. I just think the ufc has put money before the sport itself

This is a title tournament, a Final Fout no less, you know right? I haven’t read this anywhere but Americans in tournament use seeds. Normally the winner seed #1 and #4 takes on the winner of seed #2 and #3. Randy is the #1 seed while Brock is number #4. Brock is the lowest ranked fighter in this tournament. Going the by seeding Brock has the toughest road to the title as he has to fight the top ranked fighter in the tournament.

Your own belief of “I just think the ufc has put money before the sport itself” is totally ridiculous in my opinion if you look at UFC’s entire history and the MMA landscape for the past three years. The pure sports model for MMA has been a total failure for every company who tried it as it appeals to very few people. UFC is a MMA promotion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭dunkamania

MMA matchups arent based on seeds

Fedor is not as tied up as you might think, especially if the bout happens outside of America

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Kazooie

While it does seem unfair that's the way the ufc needs to operate to survive. They want exciting fights with exciting fighters, who will bring in the fans.
    Did Randy deserve his title shot against Sylvia? He had retired for about a year. Hadn't even fought a heavyweight match in god knows how long and walks straight into a title shot. No one seemed too bothered about that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭riff-raff

Doesn't matter much we will all end up still watching UFC 91 because we're all hooked on the fight game....

Just realised that this is a title fight. Wow

I cant actually see Couture win this .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

I'm willing to bet right now that Brock won't land a single head shot outside of the clinch or GnP the whole fight. Timmeh could hardly touch Randy and say what you want about Timmeh he can throw hard, accurate and fast shots.

Ask Cabbage.

Randy showed head movement and footwork that was leagues ahead of where he had been before I really don't see Brock landing one of his slow, over telegraphed strikes on Randy.

I do see him trying to smoother Randy up against the cage and i see Randy getting him down from there. Then as already said i see Randy controling him from side, with his back to the Cage and i see Brock eating fists.

Sure Randy is getting on but he takes a beating like his last name is Nog and keeps ticking. I see Brock needing to put Randy in a protracted precarious position to get the win, he needs to keep Randy down and out to close him off. Randy only really needs to get an unexperienced MMA fighter into a brief uncomfortable place for him to make the mistake that Randy shuts him down with.

I see the win going to the more experienced fighter myself.

dunkamania wrote: »
    MMA matchups arent based on seeds

This one pretty much is whether intentional or not, if you think about it basing it on claim to the title and recent fight record.
    Fedor is not as tied up as you might think, especially if the bout happens outside of America

He is as tied as I think as the contact is a legally binding one and Dana yesterday said he does not want to start a precedent of tampering contracts going so far to say he would never do it.
    riff-raff wrote: »
    Doesn't matter much we will all end up still watching UFC 91 because we're all hooked on the fight game....

Agree 100%, I'd lol at a boycott

Randy will weigh 225 for the fight, Brock about 280.

I am thinking Rocky III here

• Advertisement

I pretty much agree with Dragan. I see Randy being miles better than Brock at everything except wrestling. Randys style of wrestling is very different and difficult for anyone to train for. Im goin with the Natural on this one and by Jesus will I be cheerin for him! I really don't like Brock after his last fight!!

COME ON RANDY!!!

I will be cheering hard for Randy to win, but I just dont think he can do it, he is giving up too much. That being said, I learned a while ago not to put money down on Randy to lose

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭Killme00

Randy will weigh 225 for the fight, Brock about 280.

I am thinking Rocky III here

Nah Rocky 2 vs Thunderlips

Rocky: "What do you think he eats"

Mickey "about 225"

I pretty much agree with Dragan. I see Randy being miles better than Brock at everything except wrestling. Randys style of wrestling is very different and difficult for anyone to train for. Im goin with the Natural on this one and by Jesus will I be cheerin for him! I really don't like Brock after his last fight!!

COME ON RANDY!!!

+1000000

If Randy keeps the fight standing up, he should easily outmanouvre and out punch Brock. I would fear for him on the bottom against Brocks power though.

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Charlie3dan

Randy will come in prepared for the specific opponent as we saw with tim. He'll out class him in pretty much everything and he'll attack the wholes in Brocks game.

Sure, if brock catches randy with a haymaker (i doubt it) he could end things quick but apart from that he better hope Randy's age is catching up with him (i hope not).

Brock hasn't actually finished a fight in the UFC yet. He can wrestle but can he really submit randy? He can hit hard but is his striking that good?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

Dana's video blog from yesterday, featuring him and Randy before, during and after the conference call:

Funny bit towards the end, while Brock is giving out about all the questions about Fedor when he might never be in the UFC, Dana turns off the speakerphone and says "he might be my son"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭vasch_ro

Man I am excited about this fight !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Me too.

Its gonna be a one sided beatdown, but I dont know who will win.

I think Dana was right, biggest fight in mma history

• Registered Users Posts: 3,577 ✭✭✭Colm_OReilly

Worst thing is, I don't have a prediction for this one.

• Advertisement

I predict Brock gets frustrated at his inability to overcome technical ability and a solid game plan with brute physicality in Rd 2, making the mistake that gets his trapped and pounded out.

I read it in my tea leaves.

Any ideas on what the rest of the card will look like?

Joe Stevenson vs Kenny Florian
    Wandy ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 759 ✭✭✭gixerfixer

Brock gonna destroy Randy and then the big one againest Fedor is gonna happen. that's the fight everybody wants to see

Rampage is rumoured to return, possibly against Shogun.

And Amir is supposed to make his debut fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭t-ha

Brock can talk as much as he wants about his jitz defense, but even if he gets past Randy I can't see him beating the winner of Mir vs Nog. Nog especially is about the worst match-up possible for Brock, very dangerous off his back and essentially impossible to KO. I'd be worried about Randy though - he usually likes to work from top and grind out victories and I think it's gonna be a huge ask to hold Brock down for that long + he's struggled against larger opponents before. However, given that he's proven everyone wrong so often I hate to count him out so I'm officially on the fence for this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Chimp

Fozzy wrote: »
    Brock vs Couture is official

Holy shit, haven't checked this thread in ages... Nice bit of news to get!

Come on Randy! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Chimp

Worst thing is, I don't have a prediction for this one.

I don't think Randy has ever had an easy fight in his career.

How did they manage to swing the title fight? Did Nog agree to give the title back to Randy?

t-ha wrote: »
    Brock can talk as much as he wants about his jitz defense, but even if he gets past Randy I can't see him beating the winner of Mir vs Nog. Nog especially is about the worst match-up possible for Brock, very dangerous off his back and essentially impossible to KO. I'd be worried about Randy though - he usually likes to work from top and grind out victories and I think it's gonna be a huge ask to hold Brock down for that long + he's struggled against larger opponents before. However, given that he's proven everyone wrong so often I hate to count him out so I'm officially on the fence for this one.

I read a great interview with Randy yesterday where he talked about size issues affecting him in the past. He basically said that as good as his wrestling was he was falling into the trap of relying on his strength, that his technique now is a lot better than it was then and he feels much more comfortable against the bigger opponents.

His best line was "I'm not ready for this fight right now, but i will be in 10 weeks".

I'll try and dig up the link.

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭LeoGilly

Will this be a 5 or 3 rounder?? Interesting to see who'll gas out if it goes to the judges.

Brock hasn't gone more than 3 rounds and its been a while for Randy.

Cant wait for this one!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭Judomad

LeoGilly wrote: »
    Will this be a 5 or 3 rounder?? Interesting to see who'll gas out if it goes to the judges.

Brock hasn't gone more than 3 rounds and its been a while for Randy.

Cant wait for this one!!!

title fight = 5 rounds!!!!!!!!!!!!!:cool:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement