Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MMA/UFC/PRIDE/K-1 discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,045 ✭✭✭Vince135792003

Yea this is really really good. UFC charge nearly 50 bucks a PPV in America, the fans hate it especially since

Obviously they don't hate it that much if there bottom number this year for a ppv is 300000 buys which is great, great business. They are grabbing more and more casual fans to the sport which is how you make money. You satisfy and supply the masses. Not the 25,000 US hardcores who would buy a Pride show in Japan in 2006.

Also it's 40 bucks for a ppv for normal tv viewing and 50 for high defintion. And if you want to look at the ppv market in 2007 in the US, I don't see any other sport or organization giving people consistently more bang for their buck than the UFC is. Certainly not boxing or any pro-wrestling organization.

And I think you have to be fair on UFC in terms of goodwill too. They've given some big live fights free on tv this year (Jackson/Henderson, CroCop/Gonzaga, Penn/Pulver).

You've got to balance goodwill with good business decisions and I think they've done a decent job of it this year.

I wish ECX all the best too though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭dunkamania

Most notable shout heard at by UK fan at UFC 75 was from a drunken woman who shouted,

KNOCK HIS FOOKING HEARING AID OUT!!!!!!

Good times :)

Chuck wants shogun,could be a good fight, a chance for redemption for both fighters, and a solid win could setup a title shot in 2008.

Given that no reputable sources are reporting Shogun's supposed cerebral haemotoma,its looking a really sick joke :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

Wandy has expressed an interest in fighting Griffin, which could be very interesting.

dunkamania wrote:
    Chuck wants shogun,could be a good fight, a chance for redemption for both fighters, and a solid win could setup a title shot in 2008.

Given that no reputable sources are reporting Shogun's supposed cerebral haemotoma,its looking a really sick joke :mad:
    He's fine. Mmaweekly reported on it this morning. He's flying back to Brazil today.

I read that Chuck is considering retirement..........

• Advertisement

I read that Chuck is considering retirement..........

Chuck doesn't need to retire, he just needs to remember that he used to wrestle, and can do more than stand up. Why the hell was he fighting the way he did against Jardine?

Because he has knocked people out. When it became obvious that wasn't gonna work ( Jardine was throwing leg kicks with his chin tucked away better than a grannies bank book ) he should have just taken him down.

Stupid Chuck.....and my respect for Hackleman begins to diminish....you corner guys to win the fight thats happening, not the fight that you imagined would happen.

Dragan wrote:
    Chuck doesn't need to retire, he just needs to remember that he used to wrestle, and can do more than stand up. Why the hell was he fighting the way he did against Jardine?

Because he has knocked people out. When it became obvious that wasn't gonna work ( Jardine was throwing leg kicks with his chin tucked away better than a grannies bank book ) he should have just taken him down.

Stupid Chuck.....and my respect for Hackleman begins to diminish....you corner guys to win the fight thats happening, not the fight that you imagined would happen.
    Hackleman is a joker, he told Chuck NOT to check the leg kicks!! If either of them fought like that against Silva they'd get annihalated. Was it just me or were u willing Jardine to get knocked out not only so we can see Silva vs Chuck but also cos he's just so frickin awkward and ungraceful to watch!!

Chuck is one dimensional. He'll never evolve at this stage, he's a puncher who sprawls and scrambles. his only offence anymore are his 2 fists. He doesnt use his kicks, nobody fears his subs and he only ground and pounds when his opponent falls down... I like Chuck, he's a cool guy and good at what he does but the days of the one trick pony are over.

Hackleman is a joker, he told Chuck NOT to check the leg kicks!!

http://media.crossfit.com/cf-video/CrossPit_LegChecks.wmv

Hackleman on leg checking. I can see his point, but Chuck wasn't firing off on the leg kicks, if anything he was eating lets after them.

Clay Guida vs Roger Huerta likely to headline TUF 6 finale.

This could be an awesome match. Huerta finally steps into the cage against some solid opposition and Guida fights are always entertaining.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

dunkamania wrote:
    Clay Guida vs Roger Huerta likely to headline TUF 6 finale.

That'll be something to watch. One of my "dream matches" in UFC right now

• Advertisement

No failed roid tests out of UFC 76, though Nakamura failed for weed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,045 ✭✭✭Vince135792003

Dragan wrote:
    No failed roid tests out of UFC 76, though Nakamura failed for weed.

By the way he was acting at the weigh in, I'm not surprised.

By the way he was acting at the weigh in, I'm not surprised.
    LOL yeah I was gonna post that myself!!

Fozzy wrote:
    That'll be something to watch. One of my "dream matches" in UFC right now
    Yea it'll be fun, a good test to see where Huerta is really at......

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

So I was in Chicago over the weekend enjoying a pizza, when in walks former world heavyweight champ, Mr. Andrei Arlovski. No chance for a photo unfortunately but he did say that he hopes to fight in December

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Dan133269

hardCopy wrote:
    So I was in Chicago over the weekend enjoying a pizza, when in walks former world heavyweight champ, Mr. Andrei Arlovski. No chance for a photo unfortunately but he did say that he hopes to fight in December

What did he eat? A meat supreme I'd say was it? :)

Was he with his playmate model chick? What did he eat? What was he wearing? Tell all!!!!

Hahaha!!

Bisbing vs Rashad signed for UFC 78 in November. i guess they were runnin short on time and decided on the "TUF Winner vs TUF Winner" angle. Good since theyre both (controversially) still undefeated.

On the same card is the return od David Terrell vs Ed Herman, terrell has potential to be great if he applies himself and stays injury free, frankly at this stage the amount of injuries he's had has been laughable.

This cards a bit of a sleeper actually with Houston Alexander vs Thiago Silva, Karo vs Hector Lombard, Spencer Fisher vs Frankie Edgar and Ryon Chonan to debut on it too. Should prove better than it looks on paper.

BJ has been pushed back to December and will fight either Sherk or Joe stevenson for the LW title.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

Was he with his playmate model chick? What did he eat? What was he wearing? Tell all!!!!

Hahaha!!

Bisbing vs Rashad signed for UFC 78 in November. i guess they were runnin short on time and decided on the "TUF Winner vs TUF Winner" angle. Good since theyre both (controversially) still undefeated.

On the same card is the return od David Terrell vs Ed Herman, terrell has potential to be great if he applies himself and stays injury free, frankly at this stage the amount of injuries he's had has been laughable.

This cards a bit of a sleeper actually with Houston Alexander vs Thiago Silva, Karo vs Hector Lombard, Spencer Fisher vs Frankie Edgar and Ryon Chonan to debut on it too. Should prove better than it looks on paper.

BJ has been pushed back to December and will fight either Sherk or Joe stevenson for the LW title.

Some brunette, I think I've seen photos of her on sherdog. Couldn't tell what he was eating, his booth was the other side of the restaurant, I met him at the door. Didn't get a photo because he didn't seem interested in chatting and I felt it best to leave him alone, he's a big man up close

• Registered Users Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭Valmont

Frankie Edgar had a great fight against Tyson Griffin and won a clear-cut decision. The UFC however, seem to want to forget that. The increasingly annoying Joe Rogan when commentating Griffin vs. Tavares only mentioned a 'tough fight' that showed how much of a warrior Griffin is. He alluded to it a few times but never mentioned he lost. If I hadn't seen the fight I would have thought Griffin won the fight by the way Joe Rogan talked about it. Now that's off my chest, I'm really looking forward to Edgar vs Fisher. The lightweight fights are becoming reliably brilliant.

Karo could be in trouble with this fight. Lombard is a world class judoka, I'm not sure if there's anyone better to combat Karo's strengths. Should be exciting though

In other news, UFC officially closed PRIDE's Japanese office today and fired all the staff

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Nothingcompares

I wouldn't be too worried about Lombard's world class judo, it's not a judo match. Presumably what separates a very very good international judo player from a *******n is a very finely tuned high level judo. Without the gi it's completely different game.

Hector Lombard won't be fighting at UFC 78 now because he can't get a visa to work in the US. He said that as he only has a Cuban passport, they won't let him into the country

TBH I'm happy, I want to see Karo and Josh Koscheck or jon fitch. Give Karo a fight against a top 10 UFC WW. Diego beat him, but it was close. Give him the chance to prove he's a genuine contender rather than an also-ran.

Karo is not on the card at all now afaik

Nuts, that weakens the card considerably, and it was never THAT strong to begin with.

dunkamania wrote:
    Karo is not on the card at all now afaik

of course it would be impossible to get another name at this stage.

Its unfortunate,as Karo makes fights exciting.
    78 is looking like a very weak card for a ppv,compared with recent offerings

An update from yesterday on WrestlingObserver.com says:
    Regarding rumors of the 11/17 Newark, NJ UFC match with Karo Parisyan vs. Hector Lombard, at this point the match is still on. There is a snag with Lombard's Visa so the match isn't 100%, but it's not canceled and according to a UFC official, they are "pretty sure" it will be cleared up.

I'd like to see the match anyway, hope it's sorted out

Randy Couture has relinquished the UFC Heavyweight Title and resigned from the UFC organisation with immediate effect.

He cited their failure to sign Fedor, the fact that other fighters get paid better than him and the fact that he feels like, without fedor there he has nothing left to prove in MMA as his reasons for leaving.

I love Randy and I hope his taking a stand against the tight arsed UFC management who keep their wage bill at such a tiny proportion of their turnover (good business but bad for the longevity of the fighters and the sport) helps the fighters move forward towards being paid what they deserve.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Evil_Clown

Thats really bad news, but I suppose randy has a good point
    He will always be a legend
    Maybe he will join that M1 organisation and fight Fedor :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement