Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rent/Lease a Farm...???

• 29-05-2007 7:18pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,733 ✭✭✭

Can anyone tell me how difficult it would be to find somewhere to rent or lease long term... a 100 year lease sort of thing :confused:

Is it at all possible?

Is it done?

I'd be thinking of a small farmhouse or cottage with around 2, 3, 4 acres... more of a small holding really.

Any advice greatly appreciated! :)

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

It would be highly irregular, particularly in an Irish context.
    For historical reasons, land leases have a terrible reputation (the various reforms of the late 19th century aside- Windham and Balfour for example).

You would most probably have to approach a landowner privately with a proposal and then sort out the legalities and paperwork.

Longterm leases, particularly of apartments, have recently started to become popular- so there are sample leases available which could be modified to purpose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,733 ✭✭✭sudzs

Thought as much!

Thanks for the reply though. :)

Would it be more commonplace in the UK do you know? Or what about Northern Ireland?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

This site details the situation, current and historic, as it pertains to Northern Ireland. I am not sure about the situation in the UK- but would imagine that it is similar to the NI situation.

Note: there have recently been a spate of Statutory Instruments and Acts, relating to leases and ground rent (both farming and domestic) in the UK (from 1997 onwards there were over 10 different pieces of new legislation brought in) so it may not be as clearcut as you would imagine to determine the current lie-of-the-land, as it were.

Shane

Advertisement