Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

macbeth?what will the question be?

Options
  • 29-05-2007 7:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭

seriously terrified i'm ging to be confronted with an essay i have not prepared on the day!besides kingship and appearance versus reality/deception etc what are the other major possibilties that your english teachers are predicting?
    i'm hoping something really obscure doesn't come up....imagery could be a toughie.

Any ideas?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭colm-ccfc84

I hope the character question is on either Macbeth or Lady Macbeth. Highly unlikely it won't be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭óbriain1988

macbeth on his own and with lady macbeth have come up most recently... L macbeth on her own hasn't i don't think, at least not for a while. not too certain though... but ya can't see either of them or together not coming up. alright col!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 280 ✭✭SamHamilton

terrified i'm ging to be confronted with an essay i have not prepared on the day!

If you have essays done already on Kingship and deception etc. already prepared you'll be able to tackle any question. Almost every question will be answerable with the information you have in the other questions. When you see the question just take 4 or 5 minutes to plan your question. It'll help you calm your nerves and you'll realise you'll have all the information you'll need. :) Chill out and everything will be fine!

&#243 wrote: »
    macbeth on his own and with lady macbeth have come up most recently... L macbeth on her own hasn't i don't think, at least not for a while. not too certain though... but ya can't see either of them or together not coming up. alright col!
    I would prefer Macbeth on his own ,but if it was Lady Macbeth, I wouldn't mind that either.

I would prefer Macbeth on his own ,but if it was Lady Macbeth, I wouldn't mind that either.

the same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭spudington16

Where did this kingship rumour surface from, precisely? Our tracher covered it purely because people are so spooked by its "likelihood", but who came up with this story???

Where did this kingship rumour surface from, precisely? Our tracher covered it purely because people are so spooked by its "likelihood", but who came up with this story???

kingship hasn't come up EVER i don't think...... i'd be like a pig in ****e if it did though, hopefully!

I'll be happy with anything as long as it's not a question on a scene. It's not difficult to do but I just hate it. You only get to use a handful of the quotes you've learned into the answer and have to concentrate on four or five pages from the book.:mad: I'd feel betrayed!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 asdfghjkl!

do you think there's any point in learning characters of banquo and macduff?

do you think there's any point in learning characters of banquo and macduff?

Yes. Banquo and Macduff can be used in a question on Macbeth. They can be contrasted with him to show the extent of his evil and to show how it was Macbeth's over-riding ambition that drove him to do what he did.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

I think a dramatic scene question is in the offing..

Along with the all hoped for, Kingship Question... but remember that will be marked alot more difficult ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 159 ✭✭adamcp

Well from what I've heard from everyone kingship and then good vs evil/deception are the only themes they can really ask you on then as far as charcaters go Lady Macbeth and Macbeth are the obvious choice but contrasting them against Macduff,Duncan etc might be an idea. Another maybe is comparing and contrasting Banquo with Macbeth i.e. are they really total opposties, Banquo says nothing about his suspicions of Macbeth b/c he and his children will profit in the long run

• Closed Accounts Posts: 159 ✭✭adamcp

I think a dramatic scene question is in the offing..

What does everyone think is the best dramatic scene to take?
    I want to take the sleepwaking scene but I'm told it's not dramatic enough

What does everyone think is the best dramatic scene to take?

The long scene with Malcolm and Macduff. So much happens in that scene that is integral to the text as a whole. Plus, even though scenes like the murder scene may seem dramatic at first glance, when you think about it, not very much happens.
    In the Malcolm and Macduff Scene:
    We see just how evil Macbeth has come through their descriptions of him.
    We see the state of Scotland under Macbeth.
    We see that Malcolm won't be as gullible as Duncan.
    The fate of Scotland lies in Macduff being able to convince Malcolm to get an army together.
    There is promise for action in the next scenes.
    etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭yurmothrintites

Okay if you want to know what will come up either:

Lady Macbeth and Macbeth
    *Macduff and Macbeth: differences
    Kingship

Macduff has not come up since the 70s seriously watch out for him, its an easy question to answer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭Tomlowe

SamHamilton, the English court scene could scarcely be less dramatic: yes it's integral, but any analysis of it will always be purely plot-driven; ie, not looking at it as drama at all.

I'd do banquet or LMB's suicide

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Mackleton

Plus, I was listening to that countdown to 606 on 2fm and the English boffin said that when you see something like discuss a dramatic scene, the first scene that pops into your head will be the same first thought in everyones head so avoid doing the overdone, so to speak.

I reckon the banquet or the second meeting with the witches could be good to do. On that note anyone heard the rumour about the witches as the character study?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,878 ✭✭✭Rozabeez

I think the murder of Macduff's family is a very dramatic one too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭cocoa

I think it's unlikely that analysis of a specific scene will come up on higher level...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,878 ✭✭✭Rozabeez

I think I agree with you there...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 35 sully88

anybody heard the plays relevence in the 21st centuary could be up as well?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭Deadevil129

Analysis of a specific theme has already come up it was something along the lines of "there are many scenes of compelling drama in Macbeth" Analysise one scene you found to be compellinga and why you thought it to be so. Maybe it was in '03 or '04. Kingship I thought has already come up before too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 pilchard

we were told to look out for:
    ladyMacbeth
    witches
    to a lesser extent Releence to the 21st century
    kingship was also mentioned

in class we focussed mainly on the Witches.. and Kingship.

but with macbeth i'm stuffed apart from the limited topics we did in class..... so i'm praying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭dan719

I don't think anyone should be worried about Macbeth, the same material is used over and over again. Talk about imagery-no bothers

-Macbeth's poetic language, an insight into his charecter- reinforces the moral degredation and hopes of 'what could have been'

- the imagery of social disorder- 'some say the earth was feverous and did shake'- reinforces the theme of kingship- the king as head of society 'the lord's anointed temple'

-the use of religeous imagery- reinforces the theme of evil and by contrast good. consider the role of Edward the Confessor, held up a moral pillar- he derives his healing touch from god. Macbeth instead mingles with demons and witches. There is no name in hell so cursed.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

Kingship/Deception/Evil/Macbeth Complexity/Sympathy for Lady McB

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Jayne

my teacher hasnt really focused on themes mostly characters! whenever iv written questions on these i seem to nearly tell the story even if i think i havnt my teachers comments that i have!:mad: has anyone any tips on how to stop doin this ;) x

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 chas_88

characters: macduff, banquo (or both as complementary characters), macduff and malcolm's opposition to macbeth, ross & lennox. a question specifically about macbeth and lady macbeth would be repeating the last few years of macbeth questions, so they're hardly going to ask a similar question this year.

themes: kingship, deception or imagery.
    modern relevance and a dramatic scene could possible as well.

an answer on imagery should cover 6 main areas: clothing, reverberation of sound, light & darkness, the idea of sin being a disease, blood imagery, and animal imagery.

I am just doing characters, Macbeth and Lady Macbeth. I can't understand why people are doing such abstract themes. Each to their own.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭Evd-Burner

Im gonna learn kingship, reality vs appearance and then the characters macbeth and lady macbeth and learn off one scene

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,375 ✭✭✭fonpokno

all i keep hearing is kingship and lady macbeth. it'll be HILARIOUS if neither of them come up cos just about everyone i know is crammin kingship stuff! for the dramatic scene thing i always use the banquet scene. turning point in the play, role reversal of macbeth and lady macbeth from here on in, last time we see lady macbeth as the strength in the relationship blah blah blah...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement