Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

should I have given Honours maths some consideration?

Options
  • 29-05-2007 8:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭

I always wondered should I have done Honours Maths, as I got a B in pass in the JC(an A for certain if i managed my bloody time right and actually attempted a question I didnt even start:mad:), that and knowing I got a high B from looking at the two papers afterwards.

I have done pass all the way through School, and my Maths/Physics teacher asked me why I didnt do honours even considering the huge difference.
    The Maths standard in Physics is a joke btw, as I initially thought I wasnt "able" for it LOL.
    People are amazed when I tell them my favorite subject is Maths due to finding it somewhat interesting, not "its eazy and I will kill If they dont give me the A1 no matter what.

My mocks went sorta bad but this was due to crappy marking and not practicing enough but I have done a bit of work since then, would I be able to go up and actually maintain the B2 I got in the Christmas mocks?
    Do the mock results accurately predict real results? I am doubtful as I reckon I could fare worse in some subjects come june:eek:

Anyone care to enlighten me:)?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 asdfghjkl!

um.. maybe you should have done honours but only if you really really really like maths!!! and you were willing to work hard.

i loved maths for the jc.. got an a at higher level..
    now doing higher for leaving too but OH MY GOD it's so hard! plus if you have a bad teacher like me.. it's just impossible :(

I think that you should be able to maintain your mock grade or even improve on it. You said it yourself that you didn't practice much so if you put in the work..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Smellyirishman

If you don't need it for your course of choice then it's not worth it IMO.

I was higher level for 5th year and the start of 6th, but wasn't up for the effort that was needed to get good marks. I got an easy A1 in pass and I doubt I would have gone higher than a C3 without some serious work in higher level. If you don't NEED higher level, then stick with pass especially if you're not scoring A's in mocks this late in the game.

It's a big lstep from pass to higher, particularly if you have never done higher.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Haven't a Clue

Higher level maths for the leaving's an absolute nightmare. Unless you've got a real love of maths, I wouldn't recommend anyone to go near it. It's not worth the risk of failing the whole leaving over either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

Thanks so far:)
    I dont need it at all for my courses(everything computer/IT Science related)
    I always wondered would I be at a disadvantage in such a course as would a person doing honours have better prospects than say a person who just scraped the matriculation requirments?

Maybe this is just the case for Engineering or even physics where excellent maths skills is required to simply survive, and which again the respective LC courses in my opinion give a false representation of College level standard.
    Well for Physics HL I find people find it difficult generally not because of maths problems, the course is fair in not littering the course with HL maths questions. This isnt good for aspiring Physicists though LOL.

*going a bit off the point there:)*

• Registered Users Posts: 14,469 ✭✭✭✭cson

Neither here nor there tbh at this stage.....

• Advertisement

Higher level maths for the leaving's an absolute nightmare. Unless you've got a real love of maths, I wouldn't recommend anyone to go near it. It's not worth the risk of failing the whole leaving over either.

True enough I reckon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Smellyirishman

I do CA in DCU, a well respected course, and I got in on pass maths. I think Trinity was the only course that I looked at which needed Higher Level. I know guys in my course that are still there and got C's or B's in pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,726 ✭✭✭ec18

I'm doin a degree in physics...and its a not a requirement for the course i dropped back to pass on the day for the leaving and didn't notice a whole diff at first....but i think th emain thing about honours maths requirements is to show how competent and comfortable you are with maths and dealing with problems not for the actual subject matter. Most courses do a quick revision anyway.....if you think there's serious maths on you chosen course, then it would prob be better if you had done it but don't worry if you really like maths then you'll prob get on grand throught the refresher course most colleges give during the first term

Yeah DCU is not my first choice as it would be a nightmare to commute to for 4 years.
    DIT Computer Science looks like my prospective first choice as its nearby where I live and looks better than the courses in other colleges at the mo.
    Not to say the other courses arent good either, DCU is probably held in higher regard but does the Individual not count moreso over the College:D?
    Again thanks for the opinions and advice people.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭OctavarIan

I got an E in the mocks in HL maths, and because of my foolish pride refused to drop to OL :rolleyes: I worked harder though and came out with a C3 :D

[edit]Although OP if you've been doing OL up till now I'd advise you stay in OL since HL is a massive jump up. If you don't need HL then it's really not worth the work you'd have to put in plus the risk at the end.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭cocoa

in most cases, if you meet the matriculation requirements, you will be able to get by in the course. The only difference between you and someone who far surpassed the matriculation requirements is that they can afford to doss more than you can.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Nehpets

Why did you do pass for the JC? :s

Probably should have given honours a go. There's another thread were a lot of people agree that honours maths is way overhyped. Too late now, obviously

I was sort of "pigeon holed" into pass following the entrance exam for secondary where I say I done quite badly considering I was really nervous and couldn't concentrate on the day of the "maths exam".
    I was moved into another "better" maths class in fifth year but as it has been said before it was too late to switch to honors as the teachers mentioned afterwards. *shrug*

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

Well if you really had to slave at it you get a C3 in the Leaving, then it would have taken away time from your other subjects..

Pass is grand :)

Advertisement