Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car - Legal Question?

Options
  • 29-05-2007 9:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,201 ✭✭✭

Ok, long story (ill try shorten it) but here goes.

I bought a car (lets call it car A). Then car A was having a few problems with it. he garage took back car A and gave me a courtesy car (car B). I crashed a car B. Garage towed it away to a nearby garage for a quote for the damage. Four and a half months on and despite several phone calls the owner garage hasnt picked up the car.

My question: how long does it have to be there before the quoting garage can claim legal right to that car? (any rules e.g. squatters in an abandoned house).
    thanks for the help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Are your insurance company footing the bill for the repair?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

As Colm says.

If you are insured then it's not your problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,201 ✭✭✭wba88

No, i was going to but they keep ignoring my calls because if they wait till my warranty is up they dont have to fix my car and then can get the money for the repair off me. Any help appreciated!

Edit: I didnt want to claim as there was noone else involved in the accident and i am 18 and could do without my insurance going higher.

Once you have reported the fault inside the warranty period then the repairs should be covered. But that's nothing to do with the damaged replacement car. The replacement car should be covered by your policy, assuming that the insurance was substituted to the replacement. Contact your insurer and let them look after it.

It was substituted but i do not want to claim

• Advertisement

OK - if you don't want to claim, but you should still notify your insurer. What if the garage try to claim for loss of use of the car? (at €30 per day :eek: ) TBH, someone is acting the goose here and you need to get the ball rolling. Your insurance company are well kitted out to do this - it's what you pay them for. If the garage won't return your calls then what other option do you have?

True. But they took the car back and now the garage called us because they wont pick it up could they really screw me for the loss of use. Will the insurance company use this against me in the future e.g. higher premium??

• Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

We have Garage C and Garage D. C owning the replacement car.

If it was C's instruction to drop B at D, (see what I did there), then they've taken control (=possession) and it's their problem from thereon.

It's taken too long to sort out already. You need to bring this to a conclusion - quickly.

Thanx uberwolf thats what i was trying to say. So back to the original question; how long b4 garage D can claim car B as thier own because garage C wont collect it?

• Advertisement

Anyone? ^^^ I feel i need to bump this because there is a mass of new threads in the last 24hours!

Advertisement