Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Nail in tyre?

Options
  • 29-05-2007 10:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20,049 ✭✭✭✭

was down at the car earlier and noticed one of the rear tyres looked low, turned out it was! just took it off and put on the spare, and sure enough theres a dirty big screw or nail buried in it.

any chance this can be repaired or am i looking at a new tyre?

anyone recommend a decent tyre place to have a look at repairing it in south county dublin? also somewhere that has a proper hunter balancing machine?

cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Any tyre outfit can repair this for you. If the nail is in the side wall or close to it then you may need a new tyre. But most slows due to nails/screws are repairable. Have it repaired from the inside - a plug is not a permanent repair. Ask for the wheel/tyre assembly to be balanced before it is refitted.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

strangely enough this happened to me today as well.

went to advanced pitstop (think it's called it's the yellow one :p) in loughinstown and for €15 the nail was removed and the tyre repaired. it didn't need a new tyre and was done within 10 minutes.

don't know anything about your hunter balancing machine question though :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭vengeance52

Nasty, I had my new car two days and got a nail in the tyre, but i was lucky that it wasnt deep and didnt cause a leak.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,049 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

its right in the centre so not near the wall hopefully can be fixed

rather not goto quickfit or any of them, prefer dirty local places where fellas know there stuff!

Where are you? Don't be afraid of Advance or Kwik Fit - it's a simple job that even they couldn't fcuk up (I hope).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,049 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

you would imagine !

keen on finding a place with a decent balancing machine, e39 beemers are very sensitive to wheels improperly balanced

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Paid a fiver a while back for the local tyre place to extract a nail and repair the puncture with a piece of rubber that looks like a shoe-lace.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I got two tyres checked recently - only one needed puncture repair and all in all it was €7

• Registered Users Posts: 65,350 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

The prices are all over the shop, just like what you pay for a gents dry cut around Dublin :D

For a small puncture repair - last time I paid in punts, it was £3. Since then I've paid €5, €10 and €10 over the years

Advance won't let you away with a repaired puncture for less than a tenner. But they won't plug it - at least by the terms they have given me.

• Advertisement
Advertisement