Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Travelling through South America

• 29-05-2007 10:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭

Hi,
    Myself and my girlfriend planning to travel through
    South America early next year and we're just trying to
    get an idea of the best way to do it, Should we go with
    a bus tour company or should we go it alone on trains and
    buses?
    The countries on our list at the moment are Argentina,
    Bolivia, Chile, Peru, Brazil and Uruguay, these counties aren't
    definite as we are in the very early stage of planning it..
    Any ideas would be great,

Thanks,

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

Sajan wrote:
    Hi,
    Myself and my girlfriend planning to travel through
    South America early next year and we're just trying to
    get an idea of the best way to do it, Should we go with
    a bus tour company or should we go it alone on trains and
    buses?
    The countries on our list at the moment are Argentina,
    Bolivia, Chile, Peru, Brazil and Uruguay, these counties aren't
    definite as we are in the very early stage of planning it..
    Any ideas would be great,

Thanks,

Trains are pretty much non existent in SA. There's a few in Bolivia but they're not very reliable apparently. Tour companies are expensive but take a lot of the hassle out of it. You can get buses around for cheap enough and it Arg/Chile they are supposed to be very very nice buses.
    This is all based on my research btw, won't have first hand experience for 2 weeks!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭Sajan

thanks very much,
    I'll bookmark your blog now...
    tnks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭PunyHuman

Thousands of miles of overgrown railways all over South America, and beautiful ornate train stations bricked up or derelict, all dating from the huge silver boom in the early 1900s.

I travelled around Chile, Argentina, Uruguay and Paraguay a couple of years back. Internal flights are cheap (averaged $100 for me), and the coaches are very comfortable, but the journeys in them are endless - 18 hours from Cordoba to Buenos Aires, for instance. Make sure you get a coach over the Andes if you can - the most amazing bus journey I've ever taken.

As regards booking them, even if your Spanglish is almost non-existent (like mine) it's very easy to just turn up at the bus station on spec and book a coach seat. For the journey, bring some grub and make sure you have an iPod or something.

So my advice is to forget about tour companies and do it yourself.

Advertisement