Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dual booting problems

• 29-05-2007 10:43pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭

Hey there,
    I'm running Vista on a new Dell Dimension, and I went to install XP pro from a copy of the dell boot cd.

It came pre partitioned already, Vista on a 310GB partition, and a recovery partition of 10GB. I wiped the ten gig one, and installed XP there. I was presuming that I'd get an option to choose which OS I want to load when I turn it on, but it's just loading XP, and the setup screen ain't giving me an option of which partition to load first, it only lets me choose the drive itself over the dc-rom drive, USB port etc.
    So the question is, how do I get it to let me boot either OS?

Also, I found that it won't connect to the net(NIC drivers I presume), and the audio drivers didn't come with XP, I was under the impression that I didn't need driver cds for XP.

Any advice welcome.
    If it's totallt FUBAR, it's no big deal, as I'm using the laptop now, and I haven't used the desktop at all, so there's not much lost if I have to format stuff.
    Cheers guys,
    WP.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭Diver79

Dont quote me on this but I believe you need to install the oldest OS first. That would mean wiping Vista, installing XP and then installing Vista.

Can anyone confirm this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭wet-paint

My old desktop has Win200 and XP home running on it, and XP was installed later, and it works, which supports your theory, but it might just be coincidence. Also, it was done by someone who knows what he's doing.

Advertisement