Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bipolar meds

• 29-05-2007 11:18pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Bit of a long shot I guess but does anyone have any information about controlling bipolar psychosis without resorting to meds? Possibly dietary supplements etc.
    I feel that my own medication "slows" my mind down so it takes longer for me to get anything done. I'm temporarily off them (by my own reasoning because my doctor is very dismissive about how I feel about them) for the leaving cert because I just can't study with them. But I've hit a depressive phase and now I'm thinking about going back on them (even medicated I work faster then in this state).
    I also really hate the sensation that when I'm taking them I'm no longer me.

So, anyone got any ideas?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭ronbyrne2005

Go back to your doctor and explain your concerns to him/her. If he wont listen to you then maybe consider moving doctor or getting a second opinion. Dont stay off the medication as you could become severlly manic/depressed and end up in trouble. Omega 3 oils are supposedly good for mood stabilisation in bipolar people, you can buy flax seed oil in health stores and will do you no harm but ensure you are still under medical supervision.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Staying on your medication is fairly important for people with bipolar. Maybe talk to your doctor about the "slowness" feeling and he might try a different drug to you or something like that. I definitely wouldn't go off them without talking to him/her about it though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 452 ✭✭Murtinho

Fish oils, omega 3 are not scientifically proven but some patients claim to get a good affect from them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Murtinho wrote:
    Fish oils, omega 3 are not scientifically proven but some patients claim to get a good affect from them.

Ditto with smoking. :p

Safer to stay on the meds if you can though imho.

Advertisement