Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Am I being Funked with?

Options
  • 29-05-2007 11:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20,835 ✭✭✭✭

The story of my van so far:
    Bought it knowing clutch needed to be replaced, replaced for E400, mechanic didn't put starter back properly, starter fell out and was damaged. Had to get another mechanic to tow it, repair starter - E200. Some light started to come on at dash, 3 days later, something happened with clutch, it wouldn't spring back out so I couldn't push it back in to change gear. Gearbox needed new piece, E500 total.

Now the worry... I collect it from Mechanic and pay the cash, drive it home and not more than 10 minutes driving and the clutch goes again, the exact same thing that happened before, the clutch wouldn't come back out. Rang mechanic, he came down, he drove it back up without clutch working, had a look underneath and at the pedal and put a new spring in the pedal. 15 mins later it was working again..

I couldn't help but question "what took 6 hours and cost E500 last time, that only took 15 mins this time" (as it obviously seemed like the exact same problem as far as I could see). His response was "Are you serious???" (how dare I question him tone). I asked him to explain and he showed me the old piece from my gearbox they replaced and said that I was invited to go up and have a look at the gearbox out (but I didn't) and that they did take it out and replaced the part etc.

I'm still curious as to why it was a whole different problem both times for what appeared to be the same issue.:confused:

So I have my van back one day now and after a few hours driving, the light has started coming back on when I press the clutch in. It's a little orange light and only comes on when the clutch is pressed in. The mechanic didn't know what the light was for and hadn't seen it before but said that the thing in the gearbox is why it's coming on he thinks (so why is it coming back on??).

I took a little video of the light coming on and off when I press in/out my foot on the clutch. Link.

So I don't know if I'm being messed around here or not. Something certainly smells fishy though!:mad:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Did you think of the simple problems like the possibility of a bad earth/wire hitting somewhere making the light, light up?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,835 ✭✭✭✭cormie

I wouldn't think it's something simple like that since the light only started to appear, when I would press the clutch down, about 2/3 days before the pedal wouldn't work plus the way it was fine today for about 9 hours and then it came on again:(

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

You need to find what the light means in the first place. Did you try an owners forum?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Oils, fluids need a top up or electrics need a once over. That does sound a bit dodge alright but thats the way things go when you have many different mechanics working on the same job, each with their own diagnoses. :o

P.s. What model is your van?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

If mechanic A hadn't replaced the starter properly then you shouldn't have been paying mechanic B to repair it. Mech A should have fixed it for free himself or paid for the repair by mech B.

The clutch failing shortly after it was replaced is also very suspicious, I assume it was mechanic A you brought it back to? TBH it would have been very hard to convince me that the problem and whatever supposed damage that was done to the gearbox was not his fault and I certainly wouldn't have been handing over another bundle of cash.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

There seem to be a sign on the light?
    What model are your driving?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

If memory serves, this is a Transit right? What year is it? I know Trannies of a certain vintage had a plastic ratchet mechanism as part of the clutch pedal assembly to automatically keep the cable adjusted. Going back 10 or 12 years, where I was working we had a few vans that weren't doing huge mileage but might go through two or three of these ratchets per year. Under warranty I might add.

I was under the impression that Ford realised the problem and either uprated the quality of the part or removed the automatic adjustment altogether.

When they went, it was exactly like you describe, pedal goes down but doesn't come up. Talk to the service manager at your local Ford garage. He may be able to confirm the above and tell you he can fix it for good for €200 parts and labour.

If it's not a Transit, sorry for wasting your time and mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,835 ✭✭✭✭cormie

It's a 99 ford Transit Rear Wheel Drive, the same model as ones which would be 10 years old, I've seen 96 models that look the same as what I have anyway!

I got mechanic B to fix the pedal problem as Mechanic A is about 30 miles away, mechanic b being about 2 and are able to come and tow it.

I also asked mechanic B would this be related to the job A did and they said probably not.

I know Mechanic A should have fixed the starter for free but he wouldn't come and get it and I couldn't get it down to him:mad:

Advertisement