Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chipped teeth from tongue piercing?

Options
  • 29-05-2007 11:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭

I've been debating for ages whether or not to get my tongue done and think I will. The only thing I'm worried about is that I have a cap on one of my teeth and a couple of people have said it can be wrecked by the piercing. They're pretty expensive so I don't want to have to get a new cap...can't afford it and would pretty weird walkin round with a front tooth missing! Can your teeth (capped or your own!) get seriously damaged??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭amazingemmet

If your worried about it change the balls on the piercing to acrylics ones and then you'll be safe as they'll break before your teeth do if you bite them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭caridee2

thanks a mill! one more question...a mate of mine said you can't kiss anyone for four weeks?? is that true?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭amazingemmet

You can you just need to wash your mouth out after, though its best to avoid for the first ten or so days

10 days i can manage :) have you got it done yourself? i have 9 other piercings which i got done no bother and have sat gettin a tattoo for an hour but for some reason, getting a tongue one is freakin me out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 holy----crap

i have had my tongue done for 5 years and it has never ever given me a problem.
    ive chewed on it a couple of times while im eating but thats pretty much it.
    my teeth are still the same not a single chip.
    it all just depends on how much you play around with it in your mouth.
    hmmm.

• Advertisement

yeh the guy in snakebite said some people end up chipping teeth in their sleep, not realising they're playing round with it. decisions decisions!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭bounty_hunter

I chipped my teeth very badly on mine, which was the reason I took it out in the end. However, I am a particularly bad fiddler, so as long as you change the ball to an acrylic one as amazingemmet mentioned and keep the fiddling to a minimum, you should be ok. I couldn't tolerate the acrylic balls either because I just chewed them too and then they scratched the roof of my mouth :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭Attol

Get a good quality one. I changed from metal pretty quickly as I found they came undone way too easily while eating and it hurt like hell when I swallowed a bar once. The ones I have are from Celestial Ring and have lasted me so long. I've had my tongue done 3 and a half years and since I switched to the plastic ones from there I've had no bother. Had the same one for 2 years now and it's in perfect condition and I've found it doesn't come undone like metal ones tend to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Beliky

Ive had my tongue pierced for about 12 years now.....teeth are all fine and I still have the metal bar and ball.

I found I fiddled about with it more at the start......now I dont even realise its there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Macca07

have tongue done 2 years now, wouldn't even notice it. if i took it out i would notice a big difference. never had any problems with teeth. and suck on lots of ice after u get it done. eating could be a problem for 1st couple of days but after that its grand

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Q_Ball

sorry to go OT but can you get acrylic bars for a bottom lip piercing? I'm afraid of ruining my front teeth

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Gauge

Acrylic bars won't stop gum erosion or damage if the jewellry is rubbing off your teeth or gums. It'll break before a tooth will if it gets bitten, but anything that rubs against your gums for a long time will erode them no matter what it is made of.

Edit: I've heard that acrylic will crack when it comes into contact with alcohol. Has anyone actually had this happen to them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Whatitis

Gauge wrote:
    Edit: I've heard that acrylic will crack when it comes into contact with alcohol. Has anyone actually had this happen to them?

I have had my tongue for 3 years now with a metal bar and acrylic balls and while I have broken a few acrylic balls it was caused by fiddling and occasionally biting them...I enjoy my alcohol and have never had any issues with my tongue piercing when it came to consuming it.

Eventually your acrylics will crack, but don't count on that happening very often. Believe me alcohol has nothing to do with it...if it did I would just as well take out the piercing cause I'd be replacing the balls all the time.

Advertisement