Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

A hypothetical insurance question

Options
  • 29-05-2007 11:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭

Say my house was broken into and the thief stole my car keys and took my car, which policy would cover it? "They" say car insurance companies are known to refuse to pay out a theft claim if the thief has the keys, but a home contents policy wouldn't cover the car in your drive. Has anyone had this happen to them? What happened in the end?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,987 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

AFAIK they don't payout if you leave the keys in your car or don't take resonable care to make sure they are secure. If you have your keys left on the hall table then you've no chance, but if they are in a press in the kitchen then I'd say you're OK. I know people say bring your keys into your bedroom with you but if a scumbag wants your car they'll get it and I wouldn't want to wake up with a scumbag in my room looking for my keys.

It's nothing to do with your house insurance as you'd have to specify the car on the policy, since it's high value, and they'd say get car insurance!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,991 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

TychoCaine wrote:
    "They" say car insurance companies are known to refuse to pay out a theft claim if the thief has the keys
    If you leave the keys in the ignition they may not cover. (e.g. going into shop/filling station etc.).

Advertisement