Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Can Vista be traced?

• 30-05-2007 12:43am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭

just wondering if there is any way to trace a copy of vista, a friend of mine had a copy stolen from his bag while at work and would love to catch the little scum bags!!! Can the company i purchased it from trace it once it has been registered on the internet, it was OEM and didnt cost a lot but thats not the point really.

Cheers for any help guys!

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,361 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

Does he know the key?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

There was a thread on here some time back where a PC was stolen, AFAIR. The traced it via the ISP, called the Gardai and it turned out to be a scumbag living a couple of doors away.

In theory, the key is unique and should be traceable, but how could you convince Microsoft to release the information of where it was registered from?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭godskitchen

No he does not know they key............would the vendor not be able to get it?

But yes your right getting Microsoft to release the info would be near impossible..........The guy just wants to know who it was, he is suspecting a few people and says hes getting paranoid about the people he is working with. Not a nice situation to be in.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

As long as the person who stole it didn't get the product key then it's pretty much useless to them.

As long as the person who stole it didn't get the product key then it's pretty much useless to them.

Sorry, it is my friend that does not know the Key, The key was on the DVD case.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Sorry, it is my friend that does not know the Key, The key was on the DVD case.

There is a way he can get his own key back. A program called RockXP can get your cd key. Don't know if that will work with Vista though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

There is a way he can get his own key back. A program called RockXP can get your cd key. Don't know if that will work with Vista though.

it can get your cdkey from a theif? COOL! </sarcasm> :rolleyes: joking :)

I think people are misreading it.. what i just read leads me to believe it was a brand new copy, not installed, was stolen. therefore no program will work because there's no OS to get the cd key from..

OP, he's going to have to get a new copy i guess... ul.

it can get your cdkey from a theif? COOL! </sarcasm> :rolleyes: joking :)

I think people are misreading it.. what i just read leads me to believe it was a brand new copy, not installed, was stolen. therefore no program will work because there's no OS to get the cd key from..

OP, he's going to have to get a new copy i guess... ul.

I see what you are saying. My mistake. I think your mate is buggered so then.

Yes sorry i should have said, it was a new copy..............He is not bothered about the cost, just that someone he works with could do it.

Cheers for your help guys

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

If it was bought on a credit card then it should be covered for theft.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,558 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

#Elites wrote:
    In theory its possible, but i dout MS will release the infomation.
    Not only that, but it would be a legal nightmare to get any Irish ISP to co-operate in any IP tracking operation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,558 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

If it was bought on a credit card then it should be covered for theft.
    AFAIK you are only covered for breakage in transporting goods from the shop to your home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭matt-dublin

No not traceable,

The keys are provided in bulk,
    Say for example their could be 10,000 oem cd keys but 2 million oem copies of vista etc etc so windows would not be traceable by cd key.

For the Laptop theft above.
    The MAC address of the laptop would have been registered with the ISP. They then would be able to see if that MAC Address came up again anywhere on their network as MAC Addresses are individial. Once the mac address is found they would be able to see which node of their network its on and be able to trace it to an address from there.

Also most people don't register thei copies of windows with microsoft as haveing the genuine CD/sticker on base of computer is generally seen as the licence.

Also microsoft "apparently" don't collect any information about your PC as well so they wouldn't be able to track it based on anything specific on your PC

You may find that the same CD key will activate anywhere between 10-100 copies of vista

Also if it was stolen from his work this would pose a general security threat in his workplace that should be looked into. He needs to contact his managers and HR

Advertisement