Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Someday I Will...

Options
  • 30-05-2007 1:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭

someday-sm-1.jpg

Someday I will prepare with everything that I have. Someday I will perform to my best ability. Someday I will Prevail.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Malteaser!

New Journal

My basic aim is to get as strong as I possibly can. For the moment, my target lifts are:

Squat: 105kgs
    Deadlift: 120kgs
    Bench: 50kgs

Truth be told i haven't been lifting long at all, but hey, everyone needs to start somewhere, right? I am incredibly lucky though to have one of Irelands top junior powerlifters as a teacher, over the two years or so I have learned so much about lifting from him, without ever lifting a weight, all of that changed recently when somehow, he convinced me to try!!

First some stats:

Weight:133lbs
    Height: 5'10"
    Arm: 10in
    Bust: 32in
    Waist: 25in
    Hips: 32in
    Thigh: 15in
    Calf: 12.5in

A quick note on them: Since April 10th, my weight has gone up 6lbs, though every other measurement has gone down(with the exception of my bust). As of April 10th these were my measurements:

Weight:127lbs
    Arm: 12.5in
    Bust: 32in
    Waist: 26in
    Hips: 33in
    Thigh: 15.5in
    Calf: 14in

Now i'm not foolish enough to believe that I've put on 6lbs in muscle, but due to the fact that my measurements and clothes size have gone down, it's clear that some of it is increased muscle. As for wherever the other lbs are hiding, I'm not too bothered, the fact is my body is looking and feeling the best it has in, well, forever. The message here is, the scales lie, actual measurements are where it's at!!

The last two weeks have been quite frankly, sh!te, I haven't been able to train once as I've been stuck firmly in exam mode. That ended last Thursday so on Friday i started back at it again.

Todays Training:

Squats:

10kg x 5
    20kg x 5
    27.5kg x 5
    30kg x 7
    20kg x 5

Press-ups: 3 x 12

Floor Press:
    15kg x 2 x 8
    17.5 x 8
    20kg x 5

Seated Dumbbell Press: 5kg x 3 x 10

Reverse Barbell Curls: 10kg x 3 x 12

One Arm Extentions: 5kg x 3 x 10

A few things about this:

1. Due to my crappy exams, I didn't get to join the gym as planned, that should change on Thursday...Payday! So all of these were done at home!

2. The person behind this whole making me strong buzz is none other then fellow Boardsie, Hanley. For those who don't already know, this guy really know's his stuff when it comes to making people strong so like i said I'm really lucky to have him helping me!! Unfortunately he wasn't with me today, which resulted in some rather unusual methods of getting the weight on my back without a rack and also meant that i couldn't get any heavier without the risk of seriously injuring myself!!

As far as diet goes, I have no plans to reduce my weight again. I've been fairly rigid with regards healthy eating since January(with the exception of a short period where i totally fell off the wagon) buti came back at it with a vengence and i like it this way. My whole nutrition plan now need a bit of rejigging, due to the re-addition of the weights. I'm not sure of the exact amount of cals I should eating now so I won't even make a guess at it though i was eating 1,700 at 127lbs and no weights, needless to say it's going to increase considerably. I'll add my nutrition plan tomorrow when I'm not so tired and have had a proper chance to sort it all out.

And that's basically it...let the fun begin...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

You already know how immensly proud I am of you for everything you've done already.

I think it's also important to note that April 10th wasn't even the starting point and that you came down from a high of 150lbs! Which makes it even more impressive!

Lunges 5kg 3 x 12

Deadlifts

10kg x 10

30kg x 3 x 6

50kg x 3 x 6

Split Squats

7.5kg x 3 x 10

Dumbbell rows

10kg x 10

12.5 x 2 x 10

Dumbbell Curls 7.5kg 3 x 10

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭Marathon Man

Wish you the best of luck. Its a good idea to keep a note of your progress so in a few months time you can look back and say 'I've come so far'. Sometimes one doesn't notice the improvement until one sits down and looks at previous capacities.

Lunges:

5kg x 12

7.5kg x 2 x 12

Deadlifts

20kg x 3 x 6

30kg x 3 x 6

50kg x 3 x 6

Split Squats

10kg x 3 x 10

Dumbbell rows

10kg x 10

12.5 x 2 x 10

Dumbbell Curls 10kg x 10

Reverse Barbell Curls: 10kg x 3 x 12

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,237 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

I've just made that photo my laptop's background. :)

Keep it up Malteaser, looking forward to hearing about you winning that 100k deadlift bet!

It was also Hanleys background before i stole it!!

Muchos Grazias, it's 120kg though ;)

Story with y'all stealing off me???

• Registered Users Posts: 24,237 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

It's too cool not to poach!

I could actually see your child's nursery looking something like that pic Hanley! :p

05-06-07

Floor Press:
    15kg x 3 x6
    20 x 3 x 6
    25kg x 3

08-06-07

Floor Press:
    15kg x 3 x6
    20 x 3 x 6
    25kg x 6

Reverse Barbell Curls:

15kg x 10

10kg x 2 x 10

One Arm Extentions: 5kg x 3 x 10

• Advertisement

Malteaser! wrote:
    Floor Press:
    25kg x 6

Reverse Barbell Curls:[/B]

15kg x 10

Woah.

Nice.

Squats:

10kg x 5

20kg x 5

30kg 2 x 5, 1 x 8

Dumbbell Front Squats:

5kg dumbbells x 10

7.5kg dumbbells 2 x 8

Stiff Leg Deadlifts

20kg 3 x 8

Seated Calf Raises

20kg x 12, 2 x 13

13-06-07

Lunges:

7.5kg x 12

10kg x 2 x 12

Deadlifts

20kg x 3 x 6

30kg x 3 x 6

50kg x 3 x 6

Split Squats

10kg x 3 x 10

Dumbbell rows

10kg x 10

12.5 x 2 x 10

Floor Press:
    20kg x6
    25kg x 6
    27.5kg x 2 x 6

Seated Dumbbell Press: 7.5kg x 3 x 6

Reverse Barbell Curls:

15kg x 10

10kg x 2 x 12

One Arm Extentions:
    5kg x 7

Been in Greece for the last while so this was my first chance to lift since i got back on Friday!!

Nothing too hard...just getting back into it slowly!!

Floor Press:
    20kg x6
    25kg x 6
    27.5kg x 6
    30kg x 6

Reverse Barbell Curls:

15kg x 10

10kg x 2 x 12

One Arm Extentions:
    5kg x 10

Addition to yesterday:

30 minutes on the threadmill.

total calorie intake for the day: 1203

I'm totally undereating again which sucks major ass, probably gonna start using Fitday again to keep on top of it, don't wanna be getting sick again though I'm taking a rake of multivitamins this time so thats helping!!

Today:

Total Calorie intake: 1685

Way better than yesterday, still not enough but i'm getting there!

Joined the gym today so going up on Friday with Ham for some DL's, then my induction on Saturday which should be lots of fun!!

Press ups:

3 x 12

Dumbbell Front Squats:

5kg dumbbells x 10; 8; 10

Seated Calf Raises

20kg x 12

25kg x 12

30kg x 12

Stiff Legged Deadlifts

20kg x 8

25kg x 10

Reverse Barbell Curl

10 kg x 2 x 10

Dumbbell Rows

10kg x 10

15kg x 10

Bench:

20kg x 6

25kg x 6

30kg x 3

25 x 2 x 6

Incline Bench:

20kg x 3 x 6

Seated shoulder Press:

4kg x 2 x 6

6 kg x 6

Lateral Raises:

1kg x 10

2.5kg x 10

4kg x 3 x 8

Tate Presses:

5kg x 3 x 8

Skull Crushers:

12.5kg x 3 x 8

Wednesday was my first day in a proper gym, I hadn't even planned on going and thats why i ended up doing two sessions in one day, one at home and the other with Hanley later on!

It was a lot of fun, tbh i was kinda scared going in because I knew i'd be the only girl in the free weights section but i needn't have worried, most of the lads were too absorbed in flexing in the mirror to even notice!!

Anyways, going back there tonight for deadlifts, gonna be class having more than 50kgs to work with it!!

Diet wise:

Wednesday: Total calorie intake: 1654

Thursday: 1364

So I'm Still doing really really badly, today feels like a bettter day already though, I'll post up my total intake after Dl's!!

Deadlifts:

40kg x 3

50kg x 3

60kg x 2x 3

70kg x 2

60kg x 4 x 3

Pulldowns:

2p x 10

3p x 3 x 10

4p x 10

One Arm Dumbbell Rows:

9kg x 10

10kg x 10

12.5kg x 8

Reverse barbell Curls

12.5kg x 2 x 10

15kg x 5

Thoughts later...Rest now...

• Advertisement

So I've concluded that trying to train after a three course meal probably isn'tthe best idea! I was incredably relaxed going in and kinda sleepy so I was just doing what hanley told me and not really thinking about anything, anyhow i'm still happy with how it went down!

Proof that i wasn't thinking; With the rows, i didn't even look at the weight on the dumbbell, i just picked up the one at theo bottom of the tree coz i presumed it was 10kg, it was only 9..oops!!

Had my induction today, it was pretty much everything that i expected it to be! Lots of resistance machines, bicep curls, and cardio but by the end of it the guy who was doing it said 'it seems you know what you're doing yourself' and said if i ever wated help in the free weights section to give him a shout coz he knows how intimidating it can be! I thought that was nice!! and i lol'd when he slagged off the lads who look like they're 15 flexing in the mirrors!!

Yesterdays totally calorie intake was: 1763

Much better than the last few days!! :)

Squats tomorrow..fun times!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭ali.c

Malteaser! wrote:
    Deadlifts:

40kg x 3

50kg x 3

60kg x 2x 3

70kg x 2

60kg x 4 x 3

Nice deadlifting!

Thanks hun, I was happy enough with it!! I'm just gonna take baby steps with the Dl and tbh its actually the lift I like the least!!

Anyways, back in the gym today:

Squats:

20kg x 2 x 5

25kg x 2 x 5

27.5kg x 2 x 5

30 kg x 5

Leg Press:

30kg x 4 x 10

Stiff legged Deadlifts:

20kg x 2x 10

30kg x 2 x 10

Leg Curls:

2p x 3 x 12

I'll do up thoughts and total calorie intake for today later...

And it's important to note that 30kg x5 squat was p!ss easy.

I did it 2 x 5 and for 8 like two weeks ago so no wonder it was easy!!!

Tuesday:

Deadlifts:

20kg x 2 x 10

40kg x 3

62.5kg x 4 x 3

Sumos:

20kg x 5 x 10

Pulldowns:

3p x 10

4p x 2 x 10

One Arm Dumbbell Rows:

10kg x 10

12.5kg x 2 x 10

Reverse barbell Curls

10kg x 10

15kg x 10; 5

When we went in last night it was the most packed i had ever seen the free weights room, there was a few lads that i kinda knew and i was being in one of my stupid moods thinking people were looking at me the whole time!! It just seemed before i even started i was in a really really bad f*cking mood, it was so hot in there and my hand kept slipping on the bar with the deadlifts, then just as i was about to start my 5th set some moran came up and asked was I training for a powerlifting competeition and when i told him I wasn't he went on for a good 5 minutes about how what i was doing was hurting my back and listing off more suitable things for me to do, i was absolutely fuming, i know he meant well but with me already in a p!sser and it really wasn't cool, after that i just couldn't concentrate!!

After that everything just seemed rushed, like I didn't have enough time to get everything i wanted done, as a result I ended up leaving out bicep curls which i had intended to do and then to make everything worse, the instructors wanted to get out of there early so they said the free weights room was closing 20 minutes early!!

I basically walked out of the room feeling the whole session was a failure!

Ugh, first bad gym day...hopefully there won't be many more of them!!

Malteaser! wrote:

then just as i was about to start my 5th set some moran came up and asked was I training for a powerlifting competeition and when i told him I wasn't he went on for a good 5 minutes about how what i was doing was hurting my back and listing off more suitable things for me to do, i was absolutely fuming, i know he meant well but with me already in a p!sser and it really wasn't cool, after that i just couldn't concentrate!!

See that really wrecks my head when people do that, i always think that if you were a guy in a free weights area he wouldnt of said anything to you. Such bloody double standards!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭hunnymonster

The only thing you can do in these situations is be more informed than the guy trying to give you advice. Just say "actually, if you had read Smyth et al in the Journal of how not to be a gym dick you would know that what I'm doing is excellent training to kick guys butts"
    I'm new enough to this lark to welcome people coming over to help me in the gym. There are one or two super people in the TCD gym who I readily take advice from. I've never felt it was because I am a woman. Then again g'em probably had them all well trained before I ever arrived :D

I couldn't even tell him to piss off cos I was in the middle of a set of squats.

It was nice of him to take a break from hte one arm machine curls to give deadlift pointers tho.

• Advertisement

The only thing you can do in these situations is be more informed than the guy trying to give you advice. Just say "actually, if you had read Smyth et al in the Journal of how not to be a gym dick you would know that what I'm doing is excellent training to kick guys butts"
    ROFL
    I'm new enough to this lark to welcome people coming over to help me in the gym. There are one or two super people in the TCD gym who I readily take advice from. I've never felt it was because I am a woman.

yeah helpful people are great, its a lot easier for someone else to see what your doing wrong than yourself, but it sounded from mal's post that he was just down right condenscing.
    Then again g'em probably had them all well trained before I ever arrived :D
    hehe i'd imagine so alright

Next time you see him hun though, you could always slate his rountine for fun and giggles? :D

Dont worry about the paronaid feeling of everyone looking at you, I used to get that a good bit in crunch but you do get used to it.

Advertisement