Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Someday I Will...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Malteaser!

Yeah I know, I'm definitely not complaining though!

I can't decide whether I should work my new bench program with 35kg being my max or maybe 37.5kg??

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

37.5kg. They're pretty conservative cycles intensity wise so it's better to use a true max imo.

I'mma leave college now in 5 mins. I'll call ya soon x

I knew you were going to say that!!!! Grrrrrrrr

Deadlift

60kg x 4

70kg x 4

75kg x 3

80kg x 3

85kg x 3 x 3

Assisted Pull Ups

2 x 5

Good deadlifting. On the second set of 85kg the bar slipped in my hand so I was literally clinging onto it with my fingertips for the last two reps - not fun.

My back is still rounding out on the last rep of each set, it was getting better as I went on but still something I need to work on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭gabgab

Fair play Malteaser,

This is very consistent and dedicated stuff, not that I get alot of it, in terms of cycling etc but the work ethic is very impressive,

• Advertisement

Hey, thanks a million!! :)

I've been looking at your pictures and reading your journal and I reckon you're pretty dedicated yourself! It takes a lot to make a transformation like you did!!

I was just thinking about the rounding today... It wasnt' as bad when you were doing hypers was it? Might be an idea to add them back in for a while...

Hanley wrote: »
    I was just thinking about the rounding today... It wasnt' as bad when you were doing hypers was it? Might be an idea to add them back in for a while...

I'm waaaay ahead of you boy. :rolleyes:

Look at some of my last few sessions!! ;)

I know... but I meant pushing them really hard. Treating them as a proper assitance movement km?

(I tend to just do them for some reps to get a bit of extra work on my back, I never really push them hard). But that being said I dunno how hard/easy they are for you at the mo since I haven't seen you train them recently!!

haha, good save.

I'll give it a go though...The other days I did them were after pretty intense sessions so I coudn't really give it my all.

How many reps are we talking? I generally die after 8. I'm guessing 10-12 though!

• Advertisement

I'm trying something a bit different with my bench. I'm basically robbing the bench template from Sheiko and gonna use it on it's own. Tbh, I have no idea if it'll have any effect on my bench numbers but my number one problem with the bench atm is that I'm not consistant enough with it, mainly because I'm constantly pushing close to my max and won't do that without a spotter so when Hanley isn't in the gym with me, I just don't bench. With Sheiko I know I won't be pushing any where near max efforts throughout so I can follow it on my own and not have to worry about being stapled.

I started last night:

Bench:

20kg x 4

22.5kg x 4

27.5kg x 2 x 3

30kg x 5 x 3

Military Press

20kg x 8; 5; 6

Bench

20kg x 5

22.5kg x 5

27.5kg x 4 x 4

Lateral Raises

4kg x 8

5kg x 2 x 8

Flies

5kg 'bells x 8

6kg 'bells x 2 x 8

Assisted Pull Ups

3 x 5

I'll do up some general thoughts in a while, I'm just on my way out teh door now!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,737 ✭✭✭Naos

Excellent work Malt, keep it up. Those dead lifts are impressive :eek:

Naos wrote: »
    Excellent work Malt, keep it up. Those dead lifts are impressive :eek:

Thanks B. :)

I know I said I'd come to my last bench workout but I've been so busy I just haven't had the time and now that I do I can't remember!! :rolleyes:

Emmm, 30's were strong as hell!! Stronger than they're been ever, I think!!

It's been a while since I benched twice in one session, I was pretty exhausted after my first round but surprisingly the second lot were equally as easy as the first!!

I'm doing the assisted pull-ups coz I can't do proper ones - well I haven't tried but I'm guessing I can't. I just keep moving up a plate each session and hopefully before I know it I'll be doing them without any assistance!!

I don't think there was any other stand out bits from it, heading back up tonight! Trying to decide what I'm gonna do!!

I'm trying to not be weak. And I'm leaving college in about 5 mins!!

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭ballroom blitz

Malteaser! wrote: »

I'm doing the assisted pull-ups coz I can't do proper ones - well I haven't tried but I'm guessing I can't. I just keep moving up a plate each session and hopefully before I know it I'll be doing them without any assistance!!

Hey Malteaser,

I've been following your log its very impressive!! I've just started dead lifting and hope to begin squats soon enough doubt I'll reach anything like you lift for ages though!!

A tip for the assisted pull-ups that I found really helped me is to do negatives rather than the machine. Basically if you jump up so you begin the chin up at the top of the bar and slowly lower yourself down repeatedly you will progress really quickly. I found I went from doing negatives to doing 1/2full chin ups in about three weeks.
    Hope this helps and keep up the good work!!

Malteaser! wrote: »
    haha, good save.

I'll give it a go though...The other days I did them were after pretty intense sessions so I coudn't really give it my all.

How many reps are we talking? I generally die after 8. I'm guessing 10-12 though!

I so missed this.

I dunno tbh, you've been doing them for high reps, so maybe do some low reps now.

I've started working good mornings recently and they seem to be hitting my back pretty hard. Maybe another thing to consider?

Hey Malteaser,

I've been following your log its very impressive!! I've just started dead lifting and hope to begin squats soon enough doubt I'll reach anything like you lift for ages though!!

A tip for the assisted pull-ups that I found really helped me is to do negatives rather than the machine. Basically if you jump up so you begin the chin up at the top of the bar and slowly lower yourself down repeatedly you will progress really quickly. I found I went from doing negatives to doing 1/2full chin ups in about three weeks.
    Hope this helps and keep up the good work!!

Hey, thanks for the kind words! :)

I've actually read that about the pull-ups before! I must give it a go, cheers for the tip!! :)

I so missed this.

I dunno tbh, you've been doing them for high reps, so maybe do some low reps now.

I've started working good mornings recently and they seem to be hitting my back pretty hard. Maybe another thing to consider?

Yeah, all these things to consider seem to be building up!! :rolleyes:

I might give em a go next time I'm up with you, I've always been afraid of falling forward with them but sure we'll see!!

Bench

20kg x 5

22.5kg x 5

27.5kg x 2 x 4

30kg x 2 x 3

32.5kg x 2 x 2

30kg x 2 x 3

27.5kg x 4

22.5kg x 5

20kg x 6

Flies

5kg x 8

6kg x 8

5kg x 8

Lying Dumbbell Extenstions

5kg x 8

6kg x 6

5kg x 8

Lots of benching in this session. I actually really like the high volume, the only thing about it is, is that my DOMs seem to be getting worse with each session.

I think I'm going to continue benching twice a week for the moment, it's the one lift that could really do with some extra help!!

I can't wait to see how this little experiment works out.... I think bumping up the percentages slighty was a good idea!!

• Advertisement

Squat

20kg x 4

30kg x 4

40kg x 3

50kg x 2

55kg x 3 x 3

Then a pile of core work.

Today wasn't really very productive. 55kg x 3 x 3 is a new PR but I did shag all else and it took ages coz I was talking to loads of different people who were coming into the weights room.

The manager of the gym was wondering if I had any qualifications coz she'd take me on in a second coz she thinks I'd make a great instructor/trainer. Only problem is I don't have any. Bad buzz altogether, I'd have loved to work there for the summer :mad: It's cool that she asked though, means I'm doing something right!

Was talking to one of the other instructors, who's an acrobat and dancer among other things. He was showing me some new more exciting core work that I can do. I was running out of time today but I'm gonna get him to show me properly the next day that I'm in!!

I can't wait to see how this little experiment works out....

Lol, me neither!!

I'm really glad that you're squatting is starting to come good. You'll be repping bodyweight in a few weeks. Nothing to stop you breaking 1.5x bodyweight sometime during or before the autumn I'd nearly say.

Yesterday:

Deadlifts

60kg x 4

70kg x 4

80kg x 2

87.5kg x 3 x 3

Then absolutely loads of core work with that instructor I was talking about!

Deadlifts were awesome. The rounding in my back from last week seems to have almost disappeared, maybe i was focusing more or else last week was a once off either way I'm happy.

New PR there btw. Next week I'm planning 90kg x 3 x 3. I'm actually nervous about it already!! :o

For the first time ever I have DOMs in my abs today. Seriously bad ones. I think they could actually be the worst type. With leg DOMs you can kinda sit still or stretch them out etc - with your abs, every single breath in agony.

It was super fun learning new things yesterday, including work on a bozu board. I didn't even realize we had one in the gym. Anyways, I was able to balance perfectly on it straight away, I could balance on it with one leg, hands by my sides and to top it off I was able to squat on it. - I was told that this usually takes people loads of practice so I was delighted that I could do it from the off.

Anyways, I have a new core program that I'm gonna work on for the next little while. Hopefully it'll help with my squats and deads!!

So I had two sessions yesterday, first up was core. I left the sheet in the gym so I can't remember everything I did but I'll try...

Hypers on a Ball

4 x 20

Planks

4 x not sure of the time but definitely more than 20 seconds each

Sit Ups on a Ball

4 x 20

And now my mind is blank. I know I did more stuff in between here but I just can't remember!!

Treadmill

5 minutes - 1 minute running, 1 minute walking etc...

Bosu Board for 5 minutes - getting pretty good at this, can manage a good 2 sets of 10 squats. I reckon it's a bit of a gimmick but it's a lot of fun so I'm gonna keep using it!!

Not feeling the DOMs today which I have to say I'm glad about!!

The high reps are a killer, I'm used to sets of 5 of 8 at the most!!!

Planks are my new favourite thing to do, I remember trying them when I first started in the gym but could only last for a couple of seconds but now I'm able for 30 - 40 seconds, even if I am shaking like a leaf during them!!

Just gonna look for my sheet with my bench numbers on it and I'll update that now too...

Second session from two days ago:

Bench

20kg x 5

22.5kg x 4

27.5kg x 2 x 3

32.5kg x 5 x 2

Close Grip Bench Press

20kg x 4

22.5kg x 4

27.5kg x 4 x 3

Military Press

20kg x 2

- That horrible horrible shoulder pain came back on the first military press, pushed on the second but it would have been stupid to keep going!! I'm trying to figure out whether it's an injury or whethers it's a 'leave it alone for a week and it'll fix itself' type pf thing. I think I'll leave it for the moment - don't do anymore over head pressing a while and hopefully it'll improve.

- Benching was strong as hell!

Bench

20kg x 5

22.5k x 4

27.5kg x 2 x 3

30kg x 3 x 2

Treadmill

20 minutes

Bench

25kg x 5

27.5kg x 4

30kg x 5 x 3

Kept it nice and easy so as not to aggrevate the shoulder any more!!

First of two sessions:

Deadlift

60kg x 4

70kg x 4

80kg x 3

85kg x 2

90kg x 2 x 3

Pull Downs

30kg x 8

37.5kg x 8

30kg x 8

Hypers on a Ball

4 x 20

Planks

4 sets

Few other bits that I don't know the name of.

Good deadlifting. Very strong anyway. Decided not to go for a third set of 90kg even though I knew it was there - My back was starting to round out on the last two reps of the second set so backed off. I'll take another run at it in a week or two.

I had the second session all typed out with thoughts done out but then I somehow went and deleted it.

Bent Over Rows

12.5kg 'bells x 8 per side

17.5kg x 8

Squat

20kg x 4

30kg x 4

40kg x 3

50kg x 2

57.5kg x 3

I'll prolly redo the thoughts later.

• Advertisement

I was amazed how much better your squats have gotten. I hadn't seen you pushing the heavy weights for quite a while. MASSIVE improvement.

Advertisement