Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Someday I Will...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Malteaser!

Squats

20kg x 4

30kg x 3

40kg x 3

50kg x 2

57.5kg x 3 x 3

I brought my camera today only to realise that the battery was gone in it!! Ah well hopefully I'll remember it next week!

The plan is to squat 60kg x 3 x 3...Then I'm kinda lost! I'll have to think of a new plan...maybe drop back and try for 3 sets of five again all the way back up to 60...

I've gotten very lazy recently, if there's someone in that I know, I'll stand around talking instead of getting my work done. I've been telling myself it's coz I'm wrecked as a result of pushing the big 3 so hard every session but in reality I always leave the gym with loads of energy. I'm certainly capable of a lot more than I've been doing...that's for sure!! Maybe I need to start writing out definite programs for each session.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Malteaser! wrote: »
    Squats

20kg x 4

30kg x 3

40kg x 3

50kg x 2

57.5kg x 3 x 3

I brought my camera today only to realise that the battery was gone in it!! Ah well hopefully I'll remember it next week!

The plan is to squat 60kg x 3 x 3...Then I'm kinda lost! I'll have to think of a new plan...maybe drop back and try for 3 sets of five again all the way back up to 60...

I've gotten very lazy recently, if there's someone in that I know, I'll stand around talking instead of getting my work done. I've been telling myself it's coz I'm wrecked as a result of pushing the big 3 so hard every session but in reality I always leave the gym with loads of energy. I'm certainly capable of a lot more than I've been doing...that's for sure!! Maybe I need to start writing out definite programs for each session.

Not always a bad thing..

Tbh if your lifts weren't going up at the rate they're going up I'd be giving out, but they are, so I'm not!!! I don't think you could realisticly have expected to made he gains you've been making any faster, so to that end, you've definitely been making the right choices when it comes to training.

Basically what I'm saying is don't sweat it!! You've been putting in the work and getting results, so just keeping doing that until the results stop coming. Then we can work something else out!!

Last night:

Bench

20kg x 4

25kg x 3

30kg x 5 x 3

32.5kg x 3

20kg x 20

Think I did something else here but can't remember...Hanley??

Bicep Curls

6kg x 3 x 10 per side

Push Downs

22.5kg x 3 x 8 (I think that's the weight...could be wrong though!)

Bosu Ball

squats x 10

That's not the benching I was supposed to do. Elite was down yesterday for the first time in forever so I couldn't check on what I was meant to do so I made it up!! :pac:

Savage pump after the 20kg x 20

Tried a lateral raise with a measly 4kg and that pain was still there in my shoulder. It's so weird, I only get it military pressing or doing lateral raises. It's really starting to p!ss me off at this stage!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭celestial

Last night:

Bench

20kg x 4

25kg x 3

30kg x 5 x 3

32.5kg x 3

20kg x 20

Think I did something else here but can't remember...Hanley??

Bicep Curls

6kg x 3 x 10 per side

Push Downs

22.5kg x 3 x 8 (I think that's the weight...could be wrong though!)

Bosu Ball

squats x 10

That's not the benching I was supposed to do. Elite was down yesterday for the first time in forever so I couldn't check on what I was meant to do so I made it up!! :pac:

Savage pump after the 20kg x 20

Tried a lateral raise with a measly 4kg and that pain was still there in my shoulder. It's so weird, I only get it military pressing or doing lateral raises. It's really starting to p!ss me off at this stage!!

you should prob go physio...?

celestial wrote: »
    you should prob go physio...?

Don't say that!! :(

I'm afraid I'm probably going to have to, it's not sore doing anything else and I don't even remember hurting it in the first place.

I remember ages ago I had a really bad pain in my groin, so bad I could barely BW squat with it but I just left it alone and it's fine now. I was really really hoping that this shoulder thing would turn out to be something similar.

I'm gonna give it another week of rest and if it's still bad, I'll go and get it seen to!!

• Advertisement

Deadlift

60kg x 4

70kg x 3

80kg x 2

90kg x 1

Hypers on a Ball

4 x 15

Planks

4 x 30seconds +

Situps on a Ball

4 x 15

Bent Over DB Rows

12.5kg x 8

17.5kg x 8

15kg x 8

Pull Downs

30kg x 8

37kg x 2 x 8

Bosu Ball

Squats x 10

Core

Hypers on a ball

4 x 15

side bends

10kg x 4 x 15

Oblique Planks

4 x + 25 seconds

Oblique Sit Ups

2 x 15

Bosu Boards

3 x 10 squats

standing on one leg etc

Rower x 5 minutes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭the drifter

hypers on a ball are great... balance is fun though...

I seem to have just disappeared recently, I've still been doing bits and pieces but just haven't been logging them. My exams are starting on Friday so I've been studying at home for them, luckily I have the gym at the end of my garden so I can still do some things! Mainly just core exercises, the cross trainer and some benching. It's not really structured or anything, just enough to keep me ticking over.

Exams are finished on Monday so I'll have the whole summer to do nothing but train!!! :p Ok not really, but I'll have more time!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭mack1

Best of luck the exams, if you study half as hard as you train you should do ok!

• Advertisement

mack1 wrote: »
    Best of luck the exams, if you study half as hard as you train you should do ok!

:) I wish. When it comes to exams I find it very hard to get myself motivated enough to do much study in advance, they're usually half hearted attempts in the weeks coming up to them and then the week before, the pressure is really on. It's a terrible way to be but it's so hard to break the habit of a life time!!

First one down now anyway, only two more to go. I'm in at 9 tomorrow which is really crap, I love when it's an afternoon exam and you get a chance to look over everything properly one more time. Today's one went well. Comparative European Politics - not the nicest subject in the world but my topics came up so it was all good. European Union Law tomorrow which would be fine if it weren't for all the bloody cases, the majority of which are from the Netherlands so most of them are impossible remember, it'd be a handy number. Ah well, I only need 16% to pass that module and that'll be a doddle unless of course, I leave my brain at home! :D Anyways, I need to get back to my cramming reading! ;) (I'm really excited about Monday btw, I have huge plans for the summer!! :):))

(I'm really excited about Monday btw, I have huge plans for the summer!! :):))

You and me both!! I can't wait for you to be finished....

Great work today hun. Keep rocking those exams xxx

• Registered Users Posts: 2,411 ✭✭✭SUNGOD

not sure if your exams are over over but if not best of luck with them , i have been reading your and hanleys log a good while now and while its quite foreign to me as all i do is run its very interesting/inspiring weight training is def something i want to get in to eventually but just concentreating on the running at the moment

anyway great log , best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 4,737 ✭✭✭Naos

Better late than never! Best of luck with the (rest of) exams L ;)

SUNGOD wrote: »
    not sure if your exams are over over but if not best of luck with them , i have been reading your and hanleys log a good while now and while its quite foreign to me as all i do is run its very interesting/inspiring weight training is def something i want to get in to eventually but just concentreating on the running at the moment

anyway great log , best of luck

Aye, finished up on Monday morning :)

haha, yeah, I know what you mean about other logs being foreign to you. I read all the running logs as well (I love reading about how people approach training differently) but the times and distances don't mean much to me coz I've never done it. Still an interesting read though!!
    Naos wrote: »
    Better late than never! Best of luck with the (rest of) exams L ;)

Thanks B ;). Delighted to be done. I haven't been as stressed out about any set of exams since my leaving! Can't properly relax till I find out the results now though!!!

So I got to go training yesterday, only problem was I was feeling really sick. I went out on Monday night to celebrate the end of my exams and did something which I rarely rarely do...get absolutely hammered. Anyways, needless to say yesterday morning - I wasn't feeling too hot. Had to get up early and go to work with my mum, standing for hours behind a counter is not the best hangover cure let me tel ya that!! But eventually I left and headed up the gym. I kind of didn't want to go coz I knew that my strength would be right down because I'd been away for like a week and a half coupled with the fact that I felt like projectile vomiting at any minute (nice image I know). SoI just took it really easy to ease myself back in. Decided I'm not going to go too heavy this week at all coz its unrealistic for me to think that I can jump back in where I took off. Anyway, enough of my ramblings....

Bench

20kg x 5 x 5

22.5kg x 5 x 5

25kg x 5 x 5

Pull Downs

20kg x 14

25kg x 2 x 14

Seated Row Machine??

37.5kg x 3 x 8

So the weights weren't heavy but the volume was a bit mad. Nice little session to get back into it!!

Another ligh and easy day...

Deadlifts

60kg x 5 x 5

70kg x 1

80kg x 1

90kg x 1

Pulldowns

30kg x 8

37kg x 8

Squats on the Bosu Ball

Planks

3 sets of over 30 seconds each

Think that's it. Such a mix matched session. I'm gonna sort out a proper routine for myself after this weekend, when I have a bit more free time!!

The fact you're pulling 90kg so consistently and acting like it's nothing is very encouraging!!

DSCF0621-1-1.jpg

It was my sisters Communion at the weekend and as a result of all the last minute preparations and me trying to find an outfit to wear right up to the day before, I had no time to go to the gym. I don't mind though coz the day was a complete success and she was fantastic!! :)

Back in today. Another light(ish) sessions.

Squat:

20kg x 5

30kg x 5

40kg x 5

50kg x 3 x 3

Leg Curls

25kg x 10

30somethingkg x 8

25kg x 8

Assisted Pull Ups

2 x 5

Planks

+ 30 seconds x 3

Hypers on a Ball

3 x 10

Sit ups on the ball

3 x 10

LIke I said before, I haven't had a chance to put together a new program but I have a load of ideas floating in my head so I'll hopefully get to put them down tonight and get cracking on it straight away!!

DSCF0621-1-1.jpg

What a cute picture... It was a great weekend!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,510 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

Jesus Hanley :eek: I know you are cutting weight a bit... but you seem to be loosing some serious mass if that pic is anything to go by.

BossArky wrote: »
    Jesus Hanley :eek: I know you are cutting weight a bit... but you seem to be loosing some serious mass if that pic is anything to go by.

Hahahahahaha I know. I barely make it past Lucy's waist. I guess it's a sign I should increase my calories. It can't be a good think if I'm shrinking and getting less muscular.....

So I spent aaggesss last night working on a new program for the gym. Like I said, I have a ton of ideas in my mind about what I want to do with my training this summer but when I went to write them all out, one plan just kept jumping out at me. Something that I'd done before, that nearly killed me the last time. Sheiko. For those that don't know what Sheiko is all about, it's basically practicing the big three lifts very frequently without much assistance work. The idea behind it is that by training the big three very often (up to 8 times a week), your body will adapt to the work load and allow for even more volume in each workout. Since you're working around 80-85% most of the time you don't get burned out, but you do get a lot of practice with moderately heavy weights and as you go through the program your work capacity absolutely goes through the roof. The first few days might be brutal, but the last week or two suddenly become VERY manageable. And that is where the beauty of the program lies. You have to push so hard so often that the increased volume leads to great conditioning and decent strength gains in the prep. period and then once you move into the comp cycle it's all pulled together to peak you.

Very simply, greater volume tolerance = better work capacity = more training, with more weight = more strength

I reckon it will especially help my bench which has really been suffering - with Sheiko, the CNS gets very efficient at the muscle firing patterns and the groove required for benching. These workouts are done mostly in the range of 50-85% of 1RM, using waves of volume and intensity. On paper it looks so, so easy but it's brutal in real life.

I'm really excited about trying it again - I know that it's exactly the kind of structure I need right now, I have loads of free time to spend in the gym and recover afterwards and I know it works. On the other hand, I'm nervous. It's like looking back at something horrible in the past but somehow always managing to convince yourself that it wasn't as bad as you remember. I'm thinking back to when I ran it before and saying to myself that it couldn't possibly be as hard as I remember, that I must have been exaggerating it. But I know I wasn't, it's a really really tough program to run.

I spent hours last night working out all the percentages so I have it all laid out and ready to go which means that my training is sorted for the next little while.

There was actually another program that I thinking of running - a deadlift program. It was 8 weeks long and I know that at the end of it I would have had my double bodyweight deadlift. It was a really tough decision to make but I decided to go with Sheiko again. I'll do the deadlift one afterwards. It means that I prolly won't have done 2x bw within a year of joining the gym but I'll only have to wait a few weeks over it to get it!!! :)

Next problem is my diet. I know I've said it before but when I get stressed out my diet just turns to shit. In the last few weeks with my exams and then the prep for my sisters Communion, my diet has reverted back to my pre-lifting days. Not so much that I've been eating a ton of junk food more, that I've been chronically under-eating. I'm embarrassed to put up my diet but I promise that I'll fix it. I'll especially need to if I'm even thinking about finishing Sheiko.

So that's it. Going to the gym in a little while to start on day number one. I'll report back later with how I got on!! :)

God I still remember the first time you did this. I definately think it was one of the biggest factors in hardening up your mind set when it came to pushing thru sessions and hitting weights you didn't think you could do.

I can't wait to see how this turns out.

Hanley wrote: »
    God I still remember the first time you did this. I definately think it was one of the biggest factors in hardening up your mind set when it came to pushing thru sessions and hitting weights you didn't think you could do.

If there's one thing that Sheiko does, it's that!!

Today was haaarrrdd! Just as hard as I remembered it to be actually!!

Bench:

20kg x 5

22.5kg x 2 x 4

25kg x 2 x 3

27.5kg x 5 x 3

Squat

20kg x 5

32.5kg x 5

40kg x 2 x 5

45kg x 5 x 5

Bench

20kg x 5

22.5kg x 5

25kg x 4 x 4

Flies

5kg x 5 x 10

Good Mornings

20kg x 5 x 5

So like I said earlier, this program looks very easy on paper but when you're in the middle of it, it's brutal.

First set of benches were grand. Not a bother at all. I thought maybe I was exaggerating how tough this is but then I started on the squats and boy did they kill me. I don't know if it's because I squatted only yesterday but those sets of 45s were one of the hardest things I've ever done!!

By the time the second round of benching came around I was absolutely wrecked. I really didn't feel I had it in me to go through them all but I managed. It's funny coz the weight is relatively light for everything but the volume is what kills me every time.

It was my first time trying good mornings, I was always afraid of them for some reason but they're actually fine, I had fun doing them.

This is gonna be a looonnggg four weeks!!

Sheiko - Week 1, Day 2.

Deadlift to knees

50kg x 5

60kg x 3

70kg x 2 x 3

75kg x 4 x 2

Bench

20kg x 6

22.5kg x 2 x 6

25kg x 4 x 6

Flies

5kg x 5 x 10

Rack Pulls (Stood on a step so the bar was starting about 3 - 4 inches below my knee)

55kg x 4

65kg x 4

75kg x 2 x 4

80kg x 4 x 4

Lunges

5 x 5

edit:

Load Volume: 5050kg

Number of lifts: 171 lifts /edit.

Day two down. Overall it wasn't too bad.

Deadlifts to the knees were no bother at all.

Benching was good and strong. The second set of 22.5kg was actually a bit slow, I think this could have been due to the fact that I wasn't really paying attention to that set over anything else because the 4 set of 25kg were absolutely hunky dorey!!

Deadlifts from the rack were a bit of a bitch. The fact that the bar is a bit lower then it would be for a normal rack pull made much harder. I was getting tired at this stage and just wanted to go home.

Two weird things in the gym today:

(1.) I was up there at about 12 and the place was really really busy, unusual for that time of the day but it just seemed to be filled with the biggest load of saps ever. There's some individuals in the gym who make a shit load of noise when they're lifting, throw the weights around really hard and just act like a general pain in the arse but today it was like they all these individuals joined together for a big group session. The novelty wore off them ROARING their way through every set after about 5 minutes and became plain irritating. It was soooo hard to concentrate on doing anything. People who act like that really p!ss me off, you know, we get it you're strong. Even if you don't shout people will still know that you're strong. The weights room is not that big, everyone else does not need you to announce that you're about to start a set by roaring at the top of your lungs like a freakin' lion. Gawwdd, they made me so mad!!! /rant.

(2.) On a completely different, much grosser topic. In the middle of my rack pulls, I went over to the water fountain right beside the rack and just as I was bending down I noticed some creep crawlies in behind the rack. i went over to look a bit closer and it was infested with what looked like ants and flies. Only they weren't flies because they couldn't fly. They were crawling all in the space behind the rack but they were about the size of a common house fly. DISGUSTING is not even the word. When I was leaving, they were just calling pest control to come and get rid of them, so to anybody who was up in TF after that and coudn't use that rack, my apologies but it had to be done!!!

Sheiko - Week 1, Day 2.

Deadlift to knees

50kg x 5

60kg x 3

70kg x 2 x 3

75kg x 4 x 2

Bench

20kg x 6

22.5kg x 2 x 6

25kg x 4 x 6

Flies

5kg x 5 x 10

Rack Pulls (Stood on a step so the bar was starting about 3 - 4 inches below my knee)

55kg x 4

65kg x 4

75kg x 2 x 4

80kg x 4 x 4

Lunges

5 x 5

edit:

Load Volume: 5050kg

Number of lifts: 171 lifts /edit.

Day two down. Overall it wasn't too bad.

Deadlifts to the knees were no bother at all.

Benching was good and strong. The second set of 22.5kg was actually a bit slow, I think this could have been due to the fact that I wasn't really paying attention to that set over anything else because the 4 set of 25kg were absolutely hunky dorey!!

Deadlifts from the rack were a bit of a bitch. The fact that the bar is a bit lower then it would be for a normal rack pull made much harder. I was getting tired at this stage and just wanted to go home.

Rather you than me tbh. You're doing great so far!!

(1.) I was up there at about 12 and the place was really really busy, unusual for that time of the day but it just seemed to be filled with the biggest load of saps ever. There's some individuals in the gym who make a shit load of noise when they're lifting, throw the weights around really hard and just act like a general pain in the arse but today it was like they all these individuals joined together for a big group session. The novelty wore off them ROARING their way through every set after about 5 minutes and became plain irritating. It was soooo hard to concentrate on doing anything. People who act like that really p!ss me off, you know, we get it you're strong. Even if you don't shout people will still know that you're strong. The weights room is not that big, everyone else does not need you to announce that you're about to start a set by roaring at the top of your lungs like a freakin' lion. Gawwdd, they made me so mad!!! /rant.

It's REALLY annoying isn't it....? If there's one thing that annoys me in the gym it's guys screaming and throwing weights around so people will look at them and think they're bad asses. There is NO WAY you're staying tight and giving everything to a set if you're screaming all the way thru every rep.

I suppose they don't need to pay that much attention tho... the spotters were lifting as much as the guys actually doing the lift from what I could see. In fact I'm not sure which one was grunting with exertion half the time... :s

So I have my training sorted, next up is my diet. The only problem is, I really don't want to change it. See, the last time I had an over haul of my diet I lost loads of weight but after a while I started to get a little bit more relaxed about my whole approach to eating and all the bad stuff started to slip back into my diet again. At the same time, I took up weight training. So what was, and still is happening, is that I can afford to eat more food without putting on weight because of the extra calorie expenditure I get through my training. That would be fine, if the food that I was eating was in any way decent but it's not. My diet is crap. I eat far too many processed, carb laden, saturated fat loaded foods. I eat barely enough protein for a normal person, let alone someone who likes to lift some heavy-ass weights a few days a week. I eat barely any vegetables, no good fats, skip breakfast more often than not. Basically, for someone who's as intent as I am on my weightlifting goals, I'm simply not eating the right way to achieve them. How dumb does that sound?? After describing how awful my diet is, I still say that I don't really want to change it. The reason is, I actually enjoy what I'm eating. I like having a pizza 2 or 3 times a week, I like fizzy drinks, I like all of these things that are so bad for me.

Up until now, I haven't really seen a problem with the way I eat because I've stayed so slim. When I cleaned up my diet before it was because I wanted to loose weight. Now, I want to clean up my diet again, and has nothing to do weight, it's to do with eating the right way to get the most out of my training but how do you measure that?? With weight, I was able to measure myself, take photos, weight myself etc and when I saw results, it was motivation to keep going, but how does one measure the effect changing your diet has on your performance?? I'm getting stronger as it is, if I were to change my diet and then manage an extra set of deadlifts next week, how do I know that that was as a result of the diet?? It doesn't act as enough of an incentive for me.

I work my arse off in the gym, every new PB, every missed rep, everybody else in the gym, everybody else's training logs, the world records to be broken - all motivate me to work that little bit harder each time I walk into that weights room. Yet, I can't get my arse in gear to sort out my diet.

I'm not sure what the point of this mini rant was, maybe by awknowledging that something needs to be done about it in public will act as a bit of an incentive for me to work harder on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭celestial

So I have my training sorted, next up is my diet. The only problem is, I really don't want to change it. See, the last time I had an over haul of my diet I lost loads of weight but after a while I started to get a little bit more relaxed about my whole approach to eating and all the bad stuff started to slip back into my diet again. At the same time, I took up weight training. So what was, and still is happening, is that I can afford to eat more food without putting on weight because of the extra calorie expenditure I get through my training. That would be fine, if the food that I was eating was in any way decent but it's not. My diet is crap. I eat far too many processed, carb laden, saturated fat loaded foods. I eat barely enough protein for a normal person, let alone someone who likes to lift some heavy-ass weights a few days a week. I eat barely any vegetables, no good fats, skip breakfast more often than not. Basically, for someone who's as intent as I am on my weightlifting goals, I'm simply not eating the right way to achieve them. How dumb does that sound?? After describing how awful my diet is, I still say that I don't really want to change it. The reason is, I actually enjoy what I'm eating. I like having a pizza 2 or 3 times a week, I like fizzy drinks, I like all of these things that are so bad for me.

Up until now, I haven't really seen a problem with the way I eat because I've stayed so slim. When I cleaned up my diet before it was because I wanted to loose weight. Now, I want to clean up my diet again, and has nothing to do weight, it's to do with eating the right way to get the most out of my training but how do you measure that?? With weight, I was able to measure myself, take photos, weight myself etc and when I saw results, it was motivation to keep going, but how does one measure the effect changing your diet has on your performance?? I'm getting stronger as it is, if I were to change my diet and then manage an extra set of deadlifts next week, how do I know that that was as a result of the diet?? It doesn't act as enough of an incentive for me.

I work my arse off in the gym, every new PB, every missed rep, everybody else in the gym, everybody else's training logs, the world records to be broken - all motivate me to work that little bit harder each time I walk into that weights room. Yet, I can't get my arse in gear to sort out my diet.

I'm not sure what the point of this mini rant was, maybe by awknowledging that something needs to be done about it in public will act as a bit of an incentive for me to work harder on it.

How about a little incentive called your health?;) I know what you are saying. What I'd suggest is changing things up diet wise for 3-4 weeks and just see how you feel....will your eyes and skin be clearer? Will you have that bit more energy...? You'll certainly be investing in your health long term - we all get older:)

Only one way to find out!

• Advertisement

celestial wrote: »
    How about a little incentive called your health?;) I know what you are saying. What I'd suggest is changing things up diet wise for 3-4 weeks and just see how you feel....will your eyes and skin be clearer? Will you have that bit more energy...? You'll certainly be investing in your health long term - we all get older:)

Only one way to find out!

Thanks for not completely slating me over how bad my diet is!!

Those reasons you just listed are all part of the reason why I want to improve my diet. See I know the benefits of healthy eating but because I can't measure the effect it's having on body, like I would if I was eating to loose weight for example, means that I'm more likely to fall into the trap of 'ah sure what harm is this one pizza', or 'one bottle of coke is hardly going to kill me' and on and on it goes until my diet is back up in disaster-land again. :o

The way I was thinking of doing it is, instead of waking up tomorrow and trying to implement a brand new diet plan, is to do in stages. I think it'll be more manageable that way. So for example, I could start by eating breakfast every day for a week, then the next week make another change, like cutting out the fizzy drinks, then the following week cut out the pizza.

I think small manageable steps may be the key in me making this change a successful one??

Advertisement