Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Someday I Will...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Malteaser!

Deadlift

60kg x 3

70kg x 3

75kg x 1

80kg x 3 x 3

RDLs

60kg x 3 x 5

Stiff Legged Deadlifts

50kg x 3 x 8

Pull Downs

25kg x 8

32.5kg x 3 x 8

Hypers

3 x 8

Hanging Leg Raises

3 x 5

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭oq4v3ht0u76kf2

Solid deadlifting there Malt, what's your 1RM at now?

Thanks Rob, tbh I dunno what it is...

I'm thinking of running that deadlift program I was talking about way back before Sheiko and hopefully by the end I'll see an increase on the 1RM.

(Last time I tested it was 100kg on the button)

So yesterday, deadlifting again...

Deadlift:

60kg x 3

70kg x 3

75kg x 1

82.5 kg x 2

Speed deadlift: (90 sec rest b/w sets)

65kg x 8 x 3

3 circuits of:(rest 90sec between exercises, 2-3 minutes between circuits)

Stiff-leg deadlift: 40kg x 8 reps
    Bent over row: 20kg x 8 reps
    Underhand (reverse) grip lat pulldown: 30kg x 8 reps
    Arched back good morning: 25kg x 8 reps

So basically I'm starting the Coan/Phillipi 10 week deadlift routine.

In a nutshell, the sessions looks hard, very hard. They seem to be both physically and mentally challenging. Supposedly the assistance work is very important.

The above session took a lot out of me but at the same time was one of the most enjoyable one's I've had in a while. I'm loving the circuit, I've never incorporated anything like that in my training before so it's a bit of a novelty for me. I'm in bits today - literally sore all over.

Hanley is trying to get me to go back to the gym tonight - I really, really don't feel like it!! :o

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Malteaser! wrote: »
    Hanley is trying to get me to go back to the gym tonight - I really, really don't feel like it!! :o

G'wan..... You'll get to see me going for max reps on the squat with 170kg and 130kg at the end of my workout. I'm hoping for 8 and 20.... Imagine how awesome that would be to watch.

• Advertisement

Squat

20kg x 3

30kg x 3

40kg x 2

45kg x 1

52.5kg x 2

57.5kg x 2

Speed Squat (Turned out not being very speedy)

45kg x 3 x 8

3 circuits of:
    (rest 90sec between exercises, 2-3 minutes between circuits)
    Stiff-leg deadlift: 40kg x 8 reps
    Leg Curl: 25kg x 8 reps
    Front Squat: 35kg x 8 reps
    Leg Extension: 20kg x 8 reps

Don't even ask what I'm thinking, I have no idea. The vague plan in my head could all fall flat in the next few weeks so only time will tell if my crazy idea actually works.

My legs are still wobbly from that session and it was 7 hours ago!! :o I'm cringing at the thought of the DOMs I'll be suffering from tomorrow!!

You're nuts. Proper nuts. But sure you knew I thought that anyway :p

weightlifter.gif <
    This was me last night, properly destroying my old PB!! :D

Bench

20kg x 2

25kg x 2

30kg x 2

35kg x 1

40kg x 1, 1, 1 (I finally got to use the big(ger) plates!! :))

Close Grip

20kg x 3

25kg x 3

30kg x 3 x 3

Paused Bench

20kg x 3

25kg x 3

30kg x 3 x 3

HOO-YEAH!!

40kg for 3 singles!! :) Delighted with that, seriously very happy.

I seem to be getting stronger and stronger on the bench from week to week and I'm getting so, so close to my ultimate target of 50kg.

I did fail on my first try of the last rep but it wasn't a strength issue. I dropped the weight way too fast and too low onto my chest so I just retook it a few minutes later and got it! :)

It'd be a lie if I said it was easy, they were actually quite tough. The second rep was probably my best rep of the evening. On the very last rep, the weight simply stopped about half way up (it was at this point that I had failed on the previous rep) but I managed to grind it out in the end. (I had made such a huge deal to both Hanley and Degsy before I took it about how I wasn't leaving until I got the third rep that I woulda had a face similar to this one -> :o if I had of failed!)

Soooo next week, I think I'm going to drop back to 35kg and do it for 3 x 5 (hopefully) and work my way back up again.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

weightlifter.gif <
    This was me last night, properly destroying my old PB!! :D

Bench

20kg x 2

25kg x 2

30kg x 2

35kg x 1

40kg x 1, 1, 1 (I finally got to use the big(ger) plates!! :))

Close Grip

20kg x 3

25kg x 3

30kg x 3 x 3

Paused Bench

20kg x 3

25kg x 3

30kg x 3 x 3

HOO-YEAH!!

40kg for 3 singles!! :) Delighted with that, seriously very happy.

I seem to be getting stronger and stronger on the bench from week to week and I'm getting so, so close to my ultimate target of 50kg.

I did fail on my first try of the last rep but it wasn't a strength issue. I dropped the weight way too fast and too low onto my chest so I just retook it a few minutes later and got it! :)

It'd be a lie if I said it was easy, they were actually quite tough. The second rep was probably my best rep of the evening. On the very last rep, the weight simply stopped about half way up (it was at this point that I had failed on the previous rep) but I managed to grind it out in the end. (I had made such a huge deal to both Hanley and Degsy before I took it about how I wasn't leaving until I got the third rep that I woulda had a face similar to this one -> :o if I had of failed!)

Soooo next week, I think I'm going to drop back to 35kg and do it for 3 x 5 (hopefully) and work my way back up again.

You done good,girl!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,510 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

Nice bench!

• Advertisement

Degsy wrote: »
    You done good,girl!

+1

Especially hitting 3 singles with it!! I reckon there's another 2.5-5kg there for a max single anyway. Give yourself 4-6 weeks and you'll be repping 40kg!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,863 ✭✭✭kevpants

Savage work. 40 is a big milestone.

I dunno why getting to add bigger plates matters but it really does doesn't it!?

Hey folks, just to let you all know that I'm still around, under a lot of pressure from college at the moment, I seem to have a new assignment due in every second day but I'm still training where I can. Highlights included benching 35 x 2 x 5; 3 and then 35 x 5 x 3. Squatting and deadlifting seem to have taken a back seat though. The end of next week marks the end of pretty much all my assignments for this term so I should have a wee bit more time and I'll be able to get a bit of structure back into the gym.

Deadlift

60kg x 3

70kg x 3 x 3

Stiff Legged Deadlifts

50kg x 3 x 10

Pull Downs

25kg x 3 x 10

Bent Over DB Rows

15kg x 3 x 8

Nothing special, still feeling bunched though!

Bench

20kg x 5

25kg x 5

30kg x 3 x 6

Close Grip Bench Press

20kg x 5

25kg x 3 x 5

Paused Bench

20kg x 3

22.5kg x 3 x 3

Military Presses

20kg x 3 x 5

Hanging leg Raises

The old reliable bench cycle's being busted out again. Good stuff!

Ha yeah, well it hasn't failed me yet!! :):)

From before Christmas...

Deadlift

60kg x 3

70kg x 3 x 3

Stiff Legged Deadlifts

Been so long since this session, I can't remember.

Pull Downs

Been so long...
    Bent-Over DB Rows

Another from before Christmas...

Hypers on a ball

3 x 15

Sit ups on a ball

3 x 15

Planks

3 sets of about 15 seconds

Crosstrainer

15 minutes - I can't remember the speed or distance, I do remember it being pretty torturous though!!

Today:

Shoulder Press

8kg x 3 x 8

Flies

5kg x 3 x 8

Lateral Raises

5kg x 3 x 5

Skull Crushers

10kg x 3 x 10

Bicep Curls

10kg x 3 x 8

All the weights were a bit on the light side but it was such a pain in the arse to change the weight of the dumbells once I started, as I was using a crappy home set, so I just didn't bother. I'll know for the next time.

• Advertisement

Bench

20kg x 3

25kg x 3

30kg x 3 x 3

Close Grip Bench Press

20kg x 3

25kg x 3

27.5kg x 3 x 3

Paused Bench Press

20kg x 3

25kg x 3

27.5kg x 3 x 3

Hanging Leg Raises

3 x 5

Military Presses

20kg x 5; 4; 3

Tired and DOMed from yesterday, nice little session to keep me going!!

Happy New Year Everyone!! :):)

Deadlift

60kg x 5

65kg x 3

70kg x 3

75kg x 2

80kg x 2 x 1

Lat Pull Downs

30kg x 8

37.5kg x 8

30kg x 2 x 8

Seated Cable Row

20kg x 8

25kg x 3 x 8

Hypers

+10kg x 2 x 8

Bent-Over Barbell Rows

20kg x 3 x 6

I was meant to be squatting today but when I got there both racks were being used so I decided to Dl instead. Not a bad day, 80kg wasn't nearly as hard as the last time I tried it. In fact, I was feeling quite strong overall even if the numbers don't quite reflect it, but don't forget, it's been quite a while since I deadlifted.

I meant to say at the end of my last post that I did a whooping 6 minutes on the crosstrainer as well at the end of that session!! :D

I also just want to say kudos to Degsy who got 2 PBs today training!! :):)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

I also just want to say kudos to Degsy who got 2 PBs today training!! :):)

Three actually :)
    Flat bench,decline and incline..the incline being a 10 kilo PB!
    It goes to show that the 5x5 routine pays off.

Degsy wrote: »
    Three actually :)
    Flat bench,decline and incline..the incline being a 10 kilo PB!
    It goes to show that the 5x5 routine pays off.

Oops :o Well go you anyway! :)

It definitely looked like you had more in you for the decline bench!!

Squat

20kg x 5

25kg x 3

30kg x 3

37kg x 3 x 3

Front Squat

20kg x 3

25kg x 3

32kg x 3 x 3

Leg Press

30kg x 8

40kg x 8

50kg x 8

60kg x 8

Then I attempted some over-head squats - they were a disaster, I'll explain below.

Leg Extensions

25kg x 8

30kg x 2 x 8

Hanging Leg Raises

3 x 5

And that's it. Another light enough session, I'm going to have to work hard to regain all the strength losses from the last few weeks. Not too worried about it though.

So the story with the over-head squats...when I'm standing up I can lift my arms into position but when I squat down, even a little, my flexibility is so bad that I can't hold it. Hanley tried to pull my arms back when I was in the bottom position but I ended up falling on my ass each time. :o So if I ever want to do over-head squats properly I'm gonna have to work on that.

It was good to see you back squatting again.... I was amazed how rock solid your form looked.

Just practice what we were talking about and the OH squats will come ;)

Shoulder Press

8kg x 3 x 8

Flies

6kg x 8

7kg x 2 x 8

Skull Crushers

15kg x 3 x 8

Lateral Raises

5kg x 3 x 8

I'm sure I've spoken about this before but it seems every time I do these I get an almighty pain in upper left arm, that then sticks around for every bloody lift I decide to do after but disappears pretty quickly. Well I thought I may have been over it because I did them last week without any soreness but I was obviously wrong so the rest of my workout just sucked!! :mad:

Military Presses

20kg x 2 x 5 = pain

Bicep Curls

10kg bar x 2 = pain

Hanging Leg Raises

3 x 5

I've also been doing shoulder dislocates with a towel for sets of ten a couple of times a day to try and help my flexibility with holding the bar over my head since my last leg day.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,510 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

Maybe that pain in your upper left arm is due to the shoulder dislocates. Something similar happened to me before xmas. I reckon I just overstretched / strained something. It was painful when squatting or pressing.

I was thinking that but tbh I don't think that that's the problem. The pain seems to happen almost every time I do lateral raises, right back to when I started lifting and I only started doing the shoulder dislocates a couple of days ago. There's no pain there whatsoever atm so I reckon I just need to leave the raises out of my routine from now on.

• Advertisement

Pretty shiteous session last night.

Deadlift

50kg x 5

All the 20kg plates were being used so I had to start with 15s, this meant further ROM which is crap when you've long legs and already pretty much doubled over yourself trying to set up the lift when using normal sized plates.

70kg x 3 - way too big a jump to make when you haven't been dling consistantly for a while.

75kg x 3

80kg x 1

85kg x 0

Yup, I failed with 85kg. Not gonna lie and say I'm not pissed off. I should be able to do that no problem. I know what the problem was and it's not that the strength isn't there. My shoulders were totally rolled forward, my elbows weren't locked before I started, in fact my whole body wasn't locked into position, I shot my legs up before I'd even started to pull so I was practically trying to stuff leg it. Anyway, major fail on my part. I need to just forget it now and move on.

60kg x 8; 6; 6 - I had to use a 15 and a 5 on each side because the 20s were still being used.

Pull Downs

30kg x 3 x 8

Then I did some exercises to try and strengthen some pretty serious imbalances in my back though I don't know the name of them!! :o That was it anyway.

Advertisement