Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Someday I Will...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Malteaser!

Hey Malteaser, sorry for taking so long to reply, I had a google and can find SFA in regards to sports stretching, Hal Higdon's page has a few good leg stretches but none of them really show you how to stretch out your mid section. I always stretch out my mid section, lower back and shoulders, as I get cramps otherwise.
    Deadlifts espically tighten up my lower back and give me serious cramps, but the more you run \ stretch the looser you'll get and the less you'll cramp.

Hey, thanks a million for that! I'll deffo try stretching out beforehand.
    Hope the link helps - some great progress here, I've given up trying to keep pace with bossArky so I'm gonna have to try to keep up with you instead :D

Haha, would ya go away out of that. I've been reading your log, I seem to be the one falling behind everyone!! Hopefully not for too much longer though!! :D:D

Hanley wrote: »
    The dips are getting a lot better. It's amazing to see the progress every time you do em.

I know, I can't believe it either. I never thought I'd be able to get over my fear of doing them but I'm getting close!! ;)

Soooo, deadlifting last night. I brought the camera along with me to see how I was doing - bad idea. I started to notice little mistakes everywhere and I ended up getting annoyed. But looking at it today, they really are only little mistakes and if I can just get them sorted my deadlift should fly up.

So this video is 80kg x 3:

So problems I see:

-I'm starting in a pretty shiteous position
    -Some rounding in my back
    -Shoulders too far forward

Tbh it doesn't look as bad as it did when I was looking back over it in the gym last night. The biggest plus is that it looked and felt easy which is a great sign for when I sort out those little niggly bits, I reckon I'll look good for a lot more then.

I then dropped back to 60kg to fix those small mistakes:

They look a lot better I think. My starting position is much better and it's allowing me to get the bar off the floor better. My back looks a lot straighter too imo.

- By the time I got around to my RDLs I was in a pretty bad mood. The first set felt like a cross between a SLDL and an RDL. I was just getting so confused becasue I was overthinking every tiny, little detail. Anyway, they sort of improved after that first set and I felt a bit better by the time I had finished.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Don't be too hard on yourself, both vids looks pretty solid. I think you have pretty long legs which can sometimes make it awkward trying to set up a deadlift correctly? Looked strong though, good work.

Don't be too hard on yourself, both vids looks pretty solid.

Thanks, tbh I feel a bit silly after making such a big deal about it last night!! :o
    I think you have pretty long legs which can sometimes make it awkward trying to set up a deadlift correctly? Looked strong though, good work.

It's funny that you mention it, myself, Hanley and Kev were only talking about that last night. I had a big problem when I first started squatting and deadlifting with my leg length, I was finding it very hard to get into position but I thought I was over it. Though I suppose I did have a break from all things gym related over Christmas so I probably need some time to get back into the groove again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,863 ✭✭✭kevpants

Malteaser! wrote: »
    Thanks, tbh I feel a bit silly after making such a big deal about it last night!! :o

The two of you were in full self-critic mode. Hanley was giving out about his textbook benching too!

• Advertisement

kevpants wrote: »
    The two of you were in full self-critic mode. Hanley was giving out about his textbook benching too!

haha, that is very true. I don't think there was one thing that I did last night that I was happy with!! :rolleyes: I'm blaming the fact that I hadn't had any dinner before I got there, the lack of food just made me cranky!! :D

So that deadlift session last night will more than likely be the last one I do for at least three weeks. I started a new program today, a three week squat cycle to be precise. It basically consists of a truckload of squatting four times a week with weights between 70% and 85% of my max. It seems to be a little harder than Sheiko but easier than Smolov, it's actually Smolov's little sister - Smolov Junior.

This is how the cycle is laid out:

Week 1 (SETSxREPSxWEIGHT)
    Mon - 6x6x70%
    Wed - 7x5x75%
    Fri - 8x4x80%
    Sat - 10x3x85%
    Week 2
    Mon - 6x6x70%+10-20 lbs
    Wed - 7x5x75%+10-20 lbs
    Fri - 8x4x80%+10-20 lbs
    Sat - 10x3x85%+10-20 lbs
    Week 3
    Mon - 6x6x70%+15-25 lbs
    Wed - 7x5x75%+15-25 lbs
    Fri - 8x4x80%+15-25 lbs
    Sat - 10x3x85%+15-25 lbs

There's no accessory work included and deadlifts aren't recommended. Apparantly breaks of around 5 minutes are expected between sets. I wasn't taking anything near that long today though as I really didn't need it.

So without further ado, here's how today looked:

Pulldown Abs
    52.5kg x 10
    60kg x 10
    67.5kg x 8

Squat
    20kg x 3
    30kg x 3
    42.5kg x 6 x 6

Front Squat
    20kg x 3 x 5

OH Squat
    15kg x 3 x 4

So obviously everything that's not a normal squat was added in by me, Hanley said it should be fine to add in some light accessory work for now, just not to go mad on it. Below is a video of the 3rd set of 6 with 42.5kg:

It's funny, the sets after this video were actually better coz I realised I didn't have my head held high enough thus wasn't leading with my chest.

Next video is just one set of overhead squats. The angle is quite bad but you get the idea. I'm really delighted with how much these have improved. If anyone was reading my log a few weeks ago they'd know the trouble I was going through trying to improve my flexibility so I could bring my arms back far enough so they weren't coming forward, throwing me off balance but I'm definitely getting there now. When I first started them I couldn't even get one without falling back!!

Bench
    20kg x 6
    25kg x 5
    32.5kg x 3
    32.5kg x 3 x 6

I then went over to help Ham with something and my bar and bench got promptly stolen by four guys so I had to wait for it to become free again.

Standing DB Shoulder Press
    8kg x 2 x 8

Close Grip Bench
    20kg x 6
    25kg x 6
    27.5kg x 3 x 6

Paused Bench
    20kg x 3 x 8

Flies

8kg x 3 x 8

Military Press
    15kg x 3 x 6

Skull Crushers
    15kg x 3 x 8

Dips
    2 partials - the best I've done so far
    3 x 5 assisted

Pull Ups
    1 partial - unbelievably close!! :)

Smolov Jnr, Day 2

Squat
    42.5kg x 7 x 5

Smolov Jnr, Day 3

Squat
    20kg x 5
    30kg x 3
    40kg x 1
    45kg x 8 x 4

Pulldown Abs
    60kg x 10
    67kg x 8

Dips
    An assortment of me trying to do them on my own and assisted. I dunno if I'm getting worse or better at these, I was just so tired by this stage I had no energy left for anything.

- Happy with the squats, they were definitely a challenge but I'm glad I was up for it. I'm really, really not used to that many sets but I just had to take much longer breaks than I normally would in between them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭Killme00

Malteaser! wrote: »
    Pull Ups
    1 partial - unbelievably close!! :)

I nearly have 1 rep too :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

The feeling of your chin resting on the bar is worth it.
    You get the same feeling again when you reach two, then three etc.

Smolov Jnr Day 4 from Tuesday

Squat

47.5kg x 10 x 3

Smolov Jnr, day 5

Squat
    20kg x 3
    30kg x 3
    42.5kg x 6 x 6

Pulldown Abs
    60kg x 10
    67kg x 10
    75kg x 4

OH Squats
    15kg x 2 x 5

Dips
    Assisted 2 x 6

The start of this week was a lot easier then the start of last. I seem to be more stable and I'm not tiring out as quickly as I was after sets. As a result I didn't need nearly as much rest time last night as I had before.

Last week I was suffering from a pretty bad pain in my left shoulder everytime I tried to squat, like the one I get every time I do lateral raises. That seems to have almost disappeared now though, I'm putting it down to the fact that I've been trying to get my elbows tucked much further then I used to and it needed some getting used to.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

El squato's are definitely looking better hun.... It'll be interesting to see where you're at in a few weeks!!

Hanley wrote: »
    El squato's are definitely looking better hun.... It'll be interesting to see where you're at in a few weeks!!

True story,the difference between this week and last is just unreal. I'm actually quite surprised.

I have a feeling I'll be eating my words later on in the week though after saying how easy I think it's gotten!!! :D

Smolov Jnr, Day 6

Squat
    20kg x 3
    30kg x 3
    40kg x 2
    45kg x 7 x 5

Deadlifts
    60kg x 3 x 4

GMs

20kg x 3 x 8

Hypers
    3 x 8

Pulldown Abs

60kg x 10
    67.5kg x 5

Second session of the day from yesterday:

Bench
    20kg x 6
    25kg x 6 x 6

Close Grip

20kg x 6 x 6

Paused

20kg x 6 x 6

Military Press
    15kg x 6 x 6

Pulldown Abs
    60kg x 8
    67.5kg (x 2) x 8 (I can't remember if I did this twice or not!!)

Dips
    A couple of assisted ones. When I'm doing dips I seem to have this inability to lean forward and end up just going straight down while scrunching my shoulders up. Kev noticed why I'm doing this last night - what I'm actually doing is allowing my shoulders to roll forward instead of keeping them pulled back, as a result my elbows flare out and the only places I can go is down. If I can keep the shoulders pinned back I should be able to push forward more allowing me to get into the right position. Fingers crossed anyways!!

Smolov Jnr Day 7

Squat
    20kg x 3
    30kg x 3
    40kg x 3
    47.5kg x 8 x 4

OH Squat
    17kg x 6
    17kg x 3
    17kg x 6

Face Pulls
    32.5kg x 3 (4?!?) x 10

Pulldown Abs

60kg x 2 x 8

Dip Machine

37.5kg x 3 x 8

- Squats are getting more and more solid as the sessions go on. I'm still incredibly tired by the time I get thru all the sets though and my hips are starting to feel a bit battered at this stage as well. Only five more days to go until this program is over, planning on testing a week or so after I'm finished.

Smolov Jnr Day 8

Squat
    20kg x 3
    30kg x 3
    40kg x 2
    50kg x 10 x 3

-Hardest day so far. The weight felt fine on my back but my hips and legs just felt like they were on fire from the warm up the whole way thru. I'm so glad I have a day off today becasue there's no way in hell I'd be able for more squats. I'm at the stage now where I can see that Hanley was right in saying not to do much accessory work for the legs and I can't see myself doing any at all next week. It's just too uncomfortable and I'm far too tired.

• Advertisement

Smolov Jnr Day 9

Squat
    20kg x 3
    30kg x 3
    40kg x 2
    45kg x 6 x 6

Pulldown Abs
    60kg x 10
    67.5kg x 5

Then a ton more ab work.

- Squats felt super strong, they were the best ones I"ve done in a very long time. I'm staying way more upright than I had been so it seems that all that extra core work is paying off.

- Didn't do any more leg work after the squats. I felt like I could but I knew that if I did I wouldn't be able to finish the week coz I'd just be too tired. Only 3 more days left on this program! :) I'm debating with myself as to whether I should continue it on for another week...

Smolov Jnr Day 10

Squat
    20kg x 3
    30kg x 3
    40kg x 2
    47.5kg x 7 x 5

Pulldown Abs
    60kg x 8
    67.5kg x 2 x 8

Face pulls
    3 x 12

Assisted dips

- Very happy with yesterdays squatting again. I was quite tired going into the gym but I perked up a bit as the session went on. I didn't have that 'omgz I'm never gonna be able to finish all of these sets' feeling that I had during the last two weeks so I'm definitaly getting used to the increased volume.

Smolov Jnr, day 11

Squat
    20kg x 3
    30kg x 3
    40kg x 3
    50kg x 8 x 4

Face Pulls
    4 x 10

Pulldown Abs
    60kg x 5
    67.5kg x 2 x 10

Hypers
    3 x 10

Assisted dips
    3 x 8

Abs

- Second last day of this program. I reckon I'm in a good position to extend it for another week and see how I get on. Squatting was good. Broke down a bit of a mental barrier using the bigger plates for reps again so happy days. I'm officially back where I was about a year ago!!! :pac:

Smolov Jnr, day 12

Squat
    20kg x 3
    30kg x 3
    40kg x 3
    52.5kg x 10 x 2

Bench
    20kg x 5
    27kg x 6 x 6

Pulldown Abs
    67.5kg x 8
    75kg x 2 x 6

Face Pulls
    4 x 10

- So that was the end of the Smolov Jnr program but like I said yesterday, I'm going to continue using the format for another week or so. Tbh, I've no idea what I'm going to do when I'm completely finished. I dread the thought of having to deadlift again on a regular basis, mainly becasue it's been going nowhere and it feels like wasted effort. At least with the other two, I'm improving on the number of reps/the weight each session.

- PR on the pulldown abs, these were quite funny because 75kg is about 15kg over my bodyweight and everytime I bent down towards my knees my feet would come up slightly off the ground. :D:D

- I can't remember the weight I was using for the facepulls but for the last two sets I went up a plate so PR there too!

Bench
    20kg x 5
    25kg x 3
    30kg x 7 x 5

DB Bench
    8kg 'bells x 2 x 10
    10kg 'bells x 4 x 10

Incline Bench
    20kg x 8
    20kg x 2 x 10

Bent Over Rows
    15kg x 12
    20kg x 12
    23kg x 12 and then 10

Pulldown Abs
    67.5kg x 5
    75kg x 5

- I flew thru the benching coz Kev, Hanley and myself were all using the same bench and i hate having to take all the plates off after each of their sets. Anyways, it was mad easy. I have a number in my head that I hope to reach in a few weeks but I'm not saying it yet!! :pac:

- First time doing DB benching in a long time. At first they felt a bit unstable and I thought I was going all over the place. Part of the reason was that 8kg was too light so I upped to 10kg and they felt much better.

- Ditto with the incline bench - not used to it at all. Only managed 8 for the first set but they improved as well.

Squat
    20kg x 4
    30kg x 3
    40kg x 3
    47kg x 2 x 6
    47kg x 4

Srsly bad. I was meant to do 47kg x 6 x 6 but the second I started squatting I knew that wasn't going to happen. I was close to blacking out each time I sunk down into the hole, i was taking a good while at the top to recover and just generally felt like crap. On the plus side, the squats that I did get done were super solid. The squats were clearly taking too much out of me so I decided to bench instead.

Bench
    20kg x 5
    25kg x 3
    32.5kg x 2 x 4

Lolz, this was meant to be 8 x 4. Noticing a pattern here?? At this stage I had been lifting a good while yet I was still freezing cold and had a splitting headache so I called it a day, sat in the corner chatting to Hanley in between sets until he was finished

What a difference a day makes.

Squat

20kg x 3
    30kg x 3
    40kg x 1
    47.5kg x 6 x 6 PBcore for reps

Normally I squat in proper weightlifting shoes but I didn't have them today so I was stuck in normal runners. As a result I didn't feel as solid in my position and I think there was a bit of leaning forward becasue of it. I'm used to the really hard sole and feeling totally solid. Stil delighted tho when you consider yesterdays shiteous performance.

Bench
    20kg x 5
    25kg x 3
    30kg x 3
    32.5kg x 8 x 4 PBcore for reps

Happy days here. Much, much stronger than yesterday. Plenty more in the tank too.

DB Bench
    9kg x 10
    12.5kg 'bells x 2 x 8
    12.5kg 'bells x 10

Incline Bench
    20kg x 8
    22.5kg x 8
    22.5kg x 7
    22.5kg x 8

Pulldowns
    67.5kg x 2 x 8

Face Pulls
    30kg x 3 x 10
    37kg x 6

Military Presses

17kg x 3 x 5

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭cardio,shoot me

thank u god!, i was wondering why i was falling forward squatting the last day!, darn my asics.... thank u!

thank u god!, i was wondering why i was falling forward squatting the last day!, darn my asics.... thank u!

lolz, I was lifting in Asics today!!

Tbh, it was never something I even noticed before wearing the proper shoes but now I find the difference to be considerable. I suppose it's because I've gotten used to having it so good!! Having said that, Hanley has said he's able to squat in Asics (can't remember up to what weight) without any problems!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭cardio,shoot me

i was up last week and squatting the weight handy enough, but then the last day when i was up with my brother i forgot to remove the shoes, i kept popping forward on the way up, scary, on the 3rd rep of my first set i fell forward into the cage :D, still managed to stay upright but scared the sh!t out of me :D

Advertisement