Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Someday I Will...

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Malteaser! wrote: »
    lolz, I was lifting in Asics today!!

Tbh, it was never something I even noticed before wearing the proper shoes but now I find the difference to be considerable. I suppose it's because I've gotten used to having it so good!! Having said that, Hanley has said he's able to squat in Asics (can't remember up to what weight) without any problems!

I've front squatted 135kg in them.

Thing is tho, it's a relatively light weight for me so I wouldnt really notice the difference. I bet if I was to try 90% back squat weights it'd kill me.

Absolute weight probably isn't as important as relative weight to that end. I wouldn't notice the difference between 140kg and 160kg in those shoes, but you can be sure someone who could only squat 155-160 would notice the difference if they put on ol shoes km?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Malteaser!

Squat
    20kg x 3
    30kg x 3
    40kg x 3
    50kg x 7 x 5 PB for reps

Bench
    20kg x 4
    25kg x 3
    30kg x 3
    35kg x 10 x 2 PB for reps

DB Bench
    10kg 'bells x 10
    12.5kg 'bells x 10
    12.5kg 'bells x 2 x 8

Pulldown Abs
    67.5kg x 2 x 15

Awesome session.

Squats were great, I was without the right shoes again today but the Asics felt better then they did the last day. Overall feeling v. solid and ready for more. I seem to be getting deeper and deeper as the sessions go on, I personally didn't think that was possible. :D

Benching was very strong again. I felt I was able for way more reps so next week when I'm attempting 37.5kg for 10 2s I should be well able for it. (hopefully!!)

I seriously can't believe how well training's going for ya at the moment.

Squat
    20kg x 3
    30kg x 3
    40kg x 3
    52.5kg x 8 x 4 PB for reps

Bench
    20kg x 3
    25kg x 3
    30kg x 6 x 6

Thoughts etc. tomorrow.

Squat
    20kg x 3
    30kg x 3
    40kg x 3
    52.5kg x 8 x 4 PB for reps

Bench
    20kg x 3
    25kg x 3
    30kg x 6 x 6

Thoughts etc. tomorrow.

- I'm obviously very happy with the squatting again. The weight felt very heavy when I unracked for the first time but the actual set was solid as were the remaining 7 sets. I felt after the first two reps of each set, that I was falling forward a bit but Hanley and Kev were watching and they said that it wasn't really noticeable.

- Benching was super strong and v.fast. I seem to have a really quick drop off rate with my bench tho, 30kg now feels like 20kg - light and easy, and I can do it for however many reps I want however I'm still limited with what I can with something like 35kg. If I can manage 35kg x 8 x 4 by the middle of next week then I'll be genuinely happy that my benching really has improved.

• Advertisement

Squat
    20kg x 5
    30kg x 3
    40kg x 3
    50kg x 1
    55kg x 10 x 2 PR for reps

Bench
    20g x 3
    25kg x 3
    30kg x 2
    32.5kg x 7 x 5 PR for reps

Wasn't expecting much coming into this session, diet has been pretty sh!t over the last few days because I have ulcers on my throat and it's making eating really tough so I'm feeling quite run down. Felt strong throughout out and I"m really happy with the squatting!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭cardio,shoot me

congrats on the squats

GMs
    20kg x 8
    30kg x 5 x 10

Bent-Over BB Rows
    20kg x 8
    25kg x 3 x 8

Face Pulls
    4pl x 3 x 10

Bent Over DB Rows

10kg 'bells x 8
    15kg 'bells x 8

Pulldown Abs

67.5kg x 18 PR for reps
    60kg x 20 (PR for reps)

Hypers

3 x 10

• Registered Users Posts: 2,863 ✭✭✭kevpants

GMs
    20kg x 8
    30kg x 5 x 10

Bent-Over BB Rows
    20kg x 8
    25kg x 3 x 8

Face Pulls
    4pl x 3 x 10

Bent Over DB Rows

10kg 'bells x 8
    15kg 'bells x 8

Pulldown Abs

67.5kg x 18 PR for reps
    60kg x 20 (PR for reps)

Hypers

3 x 10

Awww man. I was FULL sure you were gonna test your maxes this week and when I saw you had a new post I thought it was it!

kevpants wrote: »
    Awww man. I was FULL sure you were gonna test your maxes this week and when I saw you had a new post I thought it was it!

hahaha I know, I'm wondering how long I'm gonna be able to milk this cycle for!! At this stage, I really need to just bite the bullet and test already.

I was talking about with Hanley last night tho, I reckon what I'm gonna do for the remainder of this week is continue with the cycle but half the number sets prescribed then test a day or two after the competition. I'll have to test my bench as well next week!!

• Advertisement

GMs
    20kg x 8
    30kg x 5 x 10

Bent-Over BB Rows
    20kg x 8
    25kg x 3 x 8

Face Pulls
    4pl x 3 x 10

Bent Over DB Rows

10kg 'bells x 8
    15kg 'bells x 8

Pulldown Abs

67.5kg x 18 PR for reps
    60kg x 20 (PR for reps)

Hypers

3 x 10

Just some thoughts on this session:

- GMs felt great. I always find them a bit hit and miss, sometimes I do them and I'm really loose and sorta free fall forwards instead of keeping everything tight and controlled. Yesterday I was doing them properly so hopefully I'll be able to up the weight on them soon enough!!

- I was doing the bent over bb rows in front of the mirror and it highlighted just how bad the imbalance is between my right and left side. As I bring the bar up, it looks like my left shoulder/trap etc. is almost shrugging the weight while the right side looks normal. The bar is coming up at the same time on both sides so it's not like I'm just loafing the bar with the left side while the right does nothing. There's just more muscle mass on the left then the right, which I knew about, it's just worse than I thought.

- PR for reps on the pulldown abs. When I use a heavier weight I get lifted off the ground as I pull down so I'm just gonna use higher reps for a while.

From the moment I walked into the gym tonight everything pointed to the session ending in a big massive fail, thankfully I managed to save it and hit what I went in to do.

Squat
    20kg x 3
    30kg x 3
    40kg x 2
    50kg x 3 x 6

Bench

20kg x 3
    25kg x 3
    30kg x 3
    35kg x 8 x 4

I was such a muppet today - forgot to bring socks, a fresh t-shirt and my i-pod with me. :mad:

Normally when I have a few sets of squats to do I take them in blocks of two, first two I'll do without music and chalk, second two I'll stick on the i-pod, third block of two I'll use chalk and so on. It seems to break the sets down, I can fly thru them and it keeps me focused. I was totally lacking in concentration today tho so I was lucky that I was only doing 3 sets and didn't need it broken down. Usually when that happens I can stick on some music and that gets me focused but without it today I was totally not bothered doing anything. If I'd had to do 6 sets I honestly don't know how I would have done it.

Went to change shoes to bench and I find the i-pod inside the shoe (I did say I was a complete muppet today) and that seemed to brighten my mood (probably shoulda been mad at myself, but it was just so typical) and I got thru all my benching. PR for reps on the btw.

First few sets were a wee bit worrying. I wasn't breathing right at all. I was taking a breath and holding it for the whole set, which is fine, keeps everything tight but I wasn't taking it in deep enough, right down to my diaphragm like. I guess my concentration levels were still quite low and I wasn't thinking about everything I needed to do but I got it right for the last number of sets which were super solid.

Squat
    20kg x 3
    30kg x 3
    40kg x 3
    50kg x 1
    55kg x 3 x 5

Bench
    20k x 3
    30kg x 3
    35kg x 1
    37.5kg x 10 x 2

GMs
    20kg x 8
    30kg x 2 x 6

- Two more squat sessions and it's time to test. I got a little impatient with the weights I'm supposed to be doing atm tho. I was meant to do 52.5kg x 3 x 5 but did it 55kg instead, it means that by the end of the week, all going to plan, I'll be squatting 60kg for reps. All the sets I did today were ridiculously strong, totally solid and form has really improved.

- DELIGHTED with the benching. 35kg felt heavy, though this is more than likely because I had my feet on the bench for it. After 35kg, I started to doubt myself, I didn't think I was going to be able to do 37.5kg for even one set (even though I've done it for more than that before - that's just the weird mental relationship I share with the bench - doubt seeps in and my strength disappears) so had Hanley stand behind me just in case but there was no need and I managed ALL the sets. The next time I bench it'll be to test! I have a number in my head that I"m hoping to reach, after today I deffo think it's there.

- Just did a few GMs at the end while I waited for Hanley.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 991 ✭✭✭aye

Squat
    20kg x 3
    30kg x 3
    40kg x 3
    50kg x 1
    55kg x 3 x 5

Bench
    20k x 3
    30kg x 3
    35kg x 1
    37.5kg x 10 x 2

GMs
    20kg x 8
    30kg x 2 x 6

- Two more squat sessions and it's time to test. I got a little impatient with the weights I'm supposed to be doing atm tho. I was meant to do 52.5kg x 3 x 5 but did it 55kg instead, it means that by the end of the week, all going to plan, I'll be squatting 60kg for reps. All the sets I did today were ridiculously strong, totally solid and form has really improved.

- DELIGHTED with the benching. 35kg felt heavy, though this is more than likely because I had my feet on the bench for it. After 35kg, I started to doubt myself, I didn't think I was going to be able to do 37.5kg for even one set (even though I've done it for more than that before - that's just the weird mental relationship I share with the bench - doubt seeps in and my strength disappears) so had Hanley stand behind me just in case but there was no need and I managed ALL the sets. The next time I bench it'll be to test! I have a number in my head that I"m hoping to reach, after today I deffo think it's there.

- Just did a few GMs at the end while I waited for Hanley.

every time i read this log it gets more impressive!!!!!!!

aye wrote: »
    every time i read this log it gets more impressive!!!!!!!

Thanks a million!! :)

Last night:

I must be insane, squatting heavy two nights in a row.

Squat
    20kg x 3
    30kg x 3
    40kg x 3
    50kg x 1
    57.5kg x 3 x 4

Face Pulls

30kg x 12
    37.5kg x 10
    30kg x 12

Pulldown Abs
    60kg x 20

- Squatting probably would have been stronger if I'd have waited a day or two to recover from the previous session but c'est la vie. Overall it was definitely challenging but still solid. Gonna test my bench between now and when I squat agiain.

Squatting probably would have been stronger if I'd have waited a day or two to recover from the previous session

Ya reckon???
    but c'est la vie.

Stop stealing my excuse!!

P.S you forgot your 20 rep pulldown abs.... (which must not have been that hard if you're not feeling them today :p)

Hanley wrote: »
    Ya reckon???

You don't?!?! :eek: :mad: :eek::D

P.S you forgot your 20 rep pulldown abs.... (which must not have been that hard if you're not feeling them today :p)

Ooops, you're dead right, I'll edit them in now...

Tested my bench today. I may as well say from the start that the number I had in my head before going in was 45kg.

Bench
    20kg x 2
    30kg x 1
    35kg x 1
    40kg x 1 (old PB)
    42kg x 1
    45kg x 0 (fail :()
    45kg x 1 (new PB :):))

40kg, my old PB absolutely flew up. Easy. Same story with 42.5kg. Totally solid. Then I tried 45kg, lowered it too slowly down and couldn't get it back up. Only went about two inches. Lay on the bench for a couple of minutes, pissed off. I had two choices, call it a day and try to be happy with my 2.5kg pb or try it again. Went with the latter, dropped the bar faster this time and managed to get it back up. I can't even remember if it was hard or a struggle or anything, I just rememeber thinking when I got thru the point where I had failed on the previous one, that there was no way I could fail now.

Absolutely delighted, I got exactly what I wanted out of the program. Hanley and Kev reckon I would have been good for 47.5kg had I not failed the first time I tried 45kg, it just took way to much out if me. Anyways, now I have a new max to work with on my new program. Next up...squats!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭podge57

great job on coming back and nailing that 45kg!

Tested my bench today. I may as well say from the start that the number I had in my head before going in was 45kg.

Bench
    20kg x 2
    30kg x 1
    35kg x 1
    40kg x 1 (old PB)
    42kg x 1

40kg, my old PB absolutely flew up. Easy. Same story with 42.5kg. Totally solid. Then I tried 45kg, lowered it too slowly down and couldn't get it back up. Only went about two inches. Lay on the bench for a couple of minutes, pissed off. I had two choices, call it a day and try to be happy with my 2.5kg pb or try it again. Went with the latter, dropped the bar faster this time and managed to get it back up. I can't even remember if it was hard or a struggle or anything, I just rememeber thinking when I got thru the point where I had failed on the previous one, that there was no way I could fail now.

Absolutely delighted, I got exactly what I wanted out of the program. Hanley and Kev reckon I would have been good for 47.5kg had I not failed the first time I tried 45kg, it just took way to much out if me. Anyways, now I have a new max to work with on my new program. Next up...squats!! :D

Well ya already know how proud I am, but I'll say it again, WELL DONE!!!! :D:D:D

I knew as soon as I saw where you missed that first one you could get it. Ya NEVER miss benches that high, so the strength was obviously there, you just needed to get thru the sticking point a bit faster. First rep musta taken 3-4 seconds to get to your chest, no wonder it didn't go!!

With a better warm up, and getting the bar down a bit faster and under control I see more PR's in the near future!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭Killme00

Congrats on the bench. Are you any closer on the pullups?

podge57 wrote: »
    great job on coming back and nailing that 45kg!

Hey, thanks a million!! After I failed it the first time, I seriously thought that was it for the day. Usually when I fail on the bench, that's it, I'm totally wiped. But Hanley was trying to convince me that the strength was there, I just lowered it too slowly. So I tried again and he was right! :D
    Hanley wrote: »
    Well ya already know how proud I am, but I'll say it again, WELL DONE!!!! :D:D:D

I knew as soon as I saw where you missed that first one you could get it. Ya NEVER miss benches that high, so the strength was obviously there, you just needed to get thru the sticking point a bit faster. First rep musta taken 3-4 seconds to get to your chest, no wonder it didn't go!!

With a better warm up, and getting the bar down a bit faster and under control I see more PR's in the near future!!

Here's hoping!! :) Thanks for your help yesterday tho you could use some tips on how to spot!! ;):D
    Killme00 wrote: »
    Congrats on the bench. Are you any closer on the pullups?

Thanks a mil. Tbh I'm not. Smolov Jnr takes so much out of you, you end up only doing the assistance stuff that's really important so I dropped them for a while. I'm starting a new program next week, it's the one Kev has been doing for a while and the one that Ham has just started so hopefully I"ll be able for more each session!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,510 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

Bench
    20kg x 2
    30kg x 1
    35kg x 1
    40kg x 1 (old PB)
    42kg x 1

Well done on a new bench pb! You are benching more than a lot of guys in my gym :D

You must be good for more if you managed 45kg the second time around.

What is your bodyweight these days?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Nice work on the bench, always feels good to be able to go back and make a lift. And the pulldown abs too, you're lifting twice what I use for them, a sign that I need to concentrate on them even more. You're doing 5/3/1 now as well? Interesting, Kev told me about it and having looked at the percentages it seems like the right programme for me to use while still protecting my back.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Skull

5kg pb on the bench is the stuff dreams are made of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,333 ✭✭✭✭itsallaboutheL

BossArky wrote: »

a gard wouldn't ask her that!!:P

seriously strong lifting very impressive..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,863 ✭✭✭kevpants

Well done girl that's serious bench progress. The 45kg miss took LOADS out of you I'm aure of it, a really slow descent and you struggled at the sticking point for ages too. To get the 45kg after that just shows you have so much more in reserve.

BossArky wrote: »
    Well done on a new bench pb! You are benching more than a lot of guys in my gym :D

You must be good for more if you managed 45kg the second time around.

Thanks :) Tbh, I'm not sure. I weigh about 63kg on my home scales but when Hanley compared my scales to the calibrated one in Hercs, it turns out that mine was weighing more than a kilo over. So probably around 62kg or just under it.
    Nice work on the bench, always feels good to be able to go back and make a lift. And the pulldown abs too, you're lifting twice what I use for them, a sign that I need to concentrate on them even more. You're doing 5/3/1 now as well? Interesting, Kev told me about it and having looked at the percentages it seems like the right programme for me to use while still protecting my back.

I dunno about you but I found when I was doing them with a lighter weight I was falling forward and actually needed the heavier weight to stabilize myself. With the lighter weights there was little or no control and it turned into a bit of a free-fall forward.

As for 5-3-1, well I've read the book and it seems just like the straight forward, no nonsense kind of program that I like. Plus, it's worked wonders on Kev's total so that can only be a bonus!! :)
    Skull wrote:
    5kg pb on the bench is the stuff dreams are made of.

Thanks a mil. Hopefully there will be more improvements like it this year and then you never know, I might be joining you's on the platform at the nats next year!! ;)
    a gard wouldn't ask her that!!:P

seriously strong lifting very impressive..

hahaha, people don't seem to give a second thought when asking me that anymore. The amount of times I get asked by people in the gym is unreal, I think it's funnier when they try to guess themselves though!!!
    kevpants wrote: »
    Well done girl that's serious bench progress. The 45kg miss took LOADS out of you I'm aure of it, a really slow descent and you struggled at the sticking point for ages too. To get the 45kg after that just shows you have so much more in reserve.

Muchas gracias.

Tbh, I'm still shocked I got it. I've never been able to come back after missing a bench. When I was lying on the bench after the fail, I was just thinking to myself, 'you haven't just gone thru this whole program to get a 2.5kg PR, you came in today for 5' and that's all I could think about when I was setting up for the second time!!

Squat
    20kg x 3
    30kg x 2
    40kg x 2
    50kg x 2
    55kg x 1
    60kg x 2 x 2 (PR for reps)

Thoughts and videos later...

• Advertisement

Advertisement