Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Someday I Will...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,621 ✭✭✭yomchi

Hey good luck with that training!
    Looking at all them squats me thinks all that stuff was for you today :)
    Pretending it was for H, yeh yeh.... :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Jon wrote:
    Hey good luck with that training!
    Looking at all them squats me thinks all that stuff was for you today :)
    Pretending it was for H, yeh yeh.... :D

Haha legend.

As I've said already, seriously ****ign good work today.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Malteaser!

So this morning was my first time back in the gym since last week!! :eek:

I ate some dodgy chicken on Wednesday and spent the whole next day vomitting it all back up, I had crippling pains in my stomach and a ferocious temperature, I literally didn't have the energy to even get dressed or get myself water, needless to say the idea of going to the gym flew out the window!!

When i got better, I still felt weak and extremely tired so I've been putting off going back until i felt right again...

Surprised I did so well after being so ill all last week and weekend!!

Deadlift:

20kg x 10

40kg x 5

50kg x 5

60kg x 2 x 3

70 x 3

50 x 5

Sumos

20kg x 10

30kg x 6

40kg x 6

45kg x 6

Pulldowns

3p x 10

4p x 2 x 8

5p x 8

One arm Dummbell Rows:

10kg x 10

12.5kg x 8

Reverse Barbell Curls:

10kg x 10

15kg x 5

Was getting really tired by the end of it so i didn't do as many reps as i would have liked on a few bits, either way, it was a nice session to get back into it!!

Quite possibly going back later for some benching fun, haven't decided yet though, I'll see how I'm feeling!!

Sucker for pain that I am, I went back to the gym for my second session of the day!! Was flipping wrecked by the end of it, not surprising really!!

Bench:

20kg x 2 x 6

25kg x 6

27.5kg x 2 x 6

Incline Bench:

20kg x 6

25kg x 6*

*then somebody stole my bench and i was in no mood to go arguing to get it back!!

Seated Dumbbell presses:

5 kg x 10

6kg x 6

7kg x 5; 6; 5

Lateral Raises:

4kg x 3 x 10

5kg x 9

Skull Crushers:

10kg x 10

12 kg x 2 x 10

Pull Downs:

7.5kg x 2 x 10

So yesterday was one of those days when i really didn't have the time to go to they gym, I was minding my brothers and sisters all day before i had to go to work at 6.30, anyway's I was kinda P!ssed, coz i didn't want to go until Saturday or Sunday without going!!

Anyway's my mum arrived home half an hour early so I flew up to the gym, literally had 20 minutes in the place to my thing...Didn't get much done but i'm still delighted to have goten something done...

Squats

20kg x 10

30kg x 2 x 5

40kg x 2 x 5

Leg Curls

3p x 12

4p x 2 x 12

5p x x 10

The leg curls were done with no rest, i changed the plate without moving and just kept going...My legs were in bits when i finished them but I really wanted to go home and feel like I had done something...If Hanley is in the gym tonight I might just make the last half an hour and get some help with the SDLD's!!!

• Advertisement

Went into the gym this morning, had no particular plan, which is unusual for me...I just went in looked around and picked out random things that I felt like doing today!!

Anyways, here's how it went....

Leg Press:*

30kg x 12

50kg x 12

60kg x 2 x 12

70kg x 2 x 12

75kg x 12

80kg x 12

85kg x 12

90kg x 12

95kg x 12

100kg x 12

Bicep Curls:

4kg x 12 (per arm)

5kg x 12

6kg x 12

7.5kg x 10

Assisted Pullups:** x 5

Seated Calf Raise

15kg x 12

Standing Calf Raises:

15kg x 12

22.5kg x 12

30kg x 12

37.5kg x 12

45kg x 12

Standing Rope Crunches:

15kg x 10

* My last pb on the leg press was 60kg, that was the weight that a month ago threatened to crush me, today I beat that by 40kg and not only did i beat it i fcuking repped it for 12....frickin delighted after that!! I;d put on 5kg and when i finished a set, Hanley would go 'so you're throwing another 5kg on yea???' As a result I did exactly 144reps.... :o

** The assisted pull ups nearly killed me, when i firts grabbed onto the bar, i felt like i was just hanging there, I literally couldn't move myself even a little bit, but I was not giving up, I scrunched up every muscle i could(my face looked really funny!!!) and did it...the noises i was making were hella funny, but I just kept going...They were the singe most difficult thing i did today and the thing that I'm most proud of!! :)

***Only did one set on the seated calf raises coz after a through inspection of the machine by hanley, it was declared 'a peice of sh!t'...

Overall, incredibly happy :D ...gotta go to work now though so :mad:

Malteaser! wrote:
    Leg Press:*

30kg x 12

50kg x 12

60kg x 2 x 12

70kg x 2 x 12

75kg x 12

80kg x 12

85kg x 12

90kg x 12

95kg x 12

100kg x 12

Beast
    * My last pb on the leg press was 60kg, that was the weight that a month ago threatened to crush me, today I beat that by 40kg and not only did i beat it i fcuking repped it for 12....frickin delighted after that!! I;d put on 5kg and when i finished a set, Hanley would go 'so you're throwing another 5kg on yea???' As a result I did exactly 144reps.... :o

See, I'm not totally useless!
    ** The assisted pull ups nearly killed me, when i firts grabbed onto the bar, i felt like i was just hanging there, I literally couldn't move myself even a little bit, but I was not giving up, I scrunched up every muscle i could(my face looked really funny!!!) and did it...the noises i was making were hella funny, but I just kept going...They were the singe most difficult thing i did today and the thing that I'm most proud of!! :)

Yeah, that was VERY impressive!!

***Only did one set on the seated calf raises coz after a through inspection of the machine by hanley, it was declared 'a peice of sh!t'...

I pwnd it.

Got to train with Hanley today....Good session overall! I had Ham to video some of my sets so I'll try to get them up later when Youtube finally uploads them!!

Deadlifts:

30kg x 10

50kg x 4

60kg x 4

65kg x 4

70kg x 2 x 3

60kg x 5

Sumos:

30kg x 6

40kg x 6

45kg x 4

50kg x 6

55kg x 3

Pulldowns:

22.5kg x 8

30kg x 10

37.5kg x 10; 5

30kg x 10

Bent Over Rows

10kg x 10

12.5kg x 10

REverse Barbell curls:

10kg x 10

15kg x 5

Assisted Pullups:

2 x 5

My new favourite thing to do is to spent ages and ages researching things that are gonna help me in teh gym, I've read article after article and watched countless videos of the good, the bad and the ugly lifts so today when we were in the gym and i was looking back on my videos I could pinpoint exactly what i was doing wrong in every one!

My main problem with the deadlift is that I can't seem to lower my hips enough! When i first started my hips were waaayyyy too low and now they're way too high so I gotta find a happy medium!

I can't seem to keep my shoulders back and as a result, the bar is kind of pulling me forward at times.

If i could just manage to keep my shoulders back, my hips should automatically lower and the bar isnt gonna get pullled forward!

Obviously these things are only small and aren't gonna injure me or anything but I don't want to be held back at a future date from lifting heavier coz my hips are too high!!

Same with the sumos, my hips just seemed too high!!

I'll update here with videos when they're loaded!!

In other news, according to my scales at home I'm -.25kg....so eh, it seems that it might kinda be broken!!! ;)

In the mirror and photos i seem to be leaner again though!! I'll post them up maybe later with the videos or tomorrow if I'm feeling not lazy!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J5LQ0AnTkHo First set of 3 by 70kg

Hips rising before i pull, making my shoulders come forward...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ryvgirgX-I0 Second set of 3 by 70kg

Again, hips rising before i begin the pull, shoulders come forward, dragging the weight out...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XoXD_x8okzE 60kg x 5...drop back set

The usual problems..gotta address them next week!!

Uber short session today, never the less i was determined to make it count!

Squats:

20kg x 8

30kg x 5

40kg x 3

45kg x 3 x 3*

47.5kg x 3

50kg x 3**

Leg Press

50kg x 12

60kg x 12

80kg x 12

90kg x 12

110kg x 12***

*40kg was my previous best on the Squat, 45kg felt good, I was planning on stopping after my third set coz i was really pushed for time but i said f*ck it and went 47.5kg!! :)

**That is a pb by 10 whole kilos!! I'm only about 10kg away from bodyweight now so next week better watch out!! ;)

***Really really didn't have the time to be taking baby steps like i did last week, my legs were feeling strong so again, I said f*uck it and just went for it. Another Pb by 10kgs!! There was definately more there but at this stage my brothers and sister were already waiting to be collected from summer camp so i had to run!!

One of my best friends is joining teh gym tonight so I'm gonna be going back up with her later on. Hopefully I'll get the other stuff that I planned on doing done!! And now, I have another gym buddy thats free during the day thats not afraid of the free weights!!!! YAY :)

• Advertisement

Malteaser! wrote:
    Uber short session today, never the less i was determined to make it count!

Squats:

20kg x 8

30kg x 5

40kg x 3

45kg x 3 x 3*

47.5kg x 3

50kg x 3**

Leg Press

50kg x 12

60kg x 12

80kg x 12

90kg x 12

110kg x 12***

*40kg was my previous best on the Squat, 45kg felt good, I was planning on stopping after my third set coz i was really pushed for time but i said f*ck it and went 47.5kg!! :)

**That is a pb by 10 whole kilos!! I'm only about 10kg away from bodyweight now so next week better watch out!! ;)

***Really really didn't have the time to be taking baby steps like i did last week, my legs were feeling strong so again, I said f*uck it and just went for it. Another Pb by 10kgs!! There was definately more there but at this stage my brothers and sister were already waiting to be collected from summer camp so i had to run!!

One of my best friends is joining teh gym tonight so I'm gonna be going back up with her later on. Hopefully I'll get the other stuff that I planned on doing done!! And now, I have another gym buddy thats free during the day thats not afraid of the free weights!!!! YAY :)

What does one say to a session like that?

haven't been on the net all weekend, so couldn't log saturdays session!!

I went up on friday evening with my friend but we didn't do a whole lot coz i was just showing her where everything is, then I went back up on Saturday morning with her and got her doing squats and other leg bits like that, i wanted to bench but I didn't feel comfortable doing it by myself so I dropped her into work and came back to the gym with Hanley, as result I did so many random bits and bobs over the course of the day but |I'll just log what i did with Hanley coz i can't remember the morning session!!

Bench

20kg x 8

25kg x 5

27.5kg x 3 x 5

30kg x 5; 3

22.5kg x 10

Incline Bench

20kg x 6

25kg x 3

20kg x 10; 8

Seated Dumbell Press:

6kg x 6

7kg x 6

8kg x 5

Lateral Raises:

3kg x 8

4kg x 8

5kg x 8

Skull Crushers:

10kg x 10

12kg x 10

15kg x 10

Assisted pull ups x 5

I also did an unassisted pull up but i refuse to believe i did it properly...meh, I'll keep trying untiil i feel happy with it!!

30kg is a PB on the bench so happy with that! A bit frustrated it won't go up faster but at the end of the day I am only 20kgs away from my target so I can afford to take baby steps!!

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭comewatmay

fair play to ya,very impressed.My girlfriend wants to get involved in this power lifting etc.She attends the gym reg but just does stupid things with little benefit.I read this whole forum and am going to show it to her, shel prob copy what you are doing ha ha.keep it up

comewatmay wrote:
    fair play to ya,very impressed.My girlfriend wants to get involved in this power lifting etc.She attends the gym reg but just does stupid things with little benefit.I read this whole forum and am going to show it to her, shel prob copy what you are doing ha ha.keep it up

Thanks a million, tbh i was similar, I was a member of a gym for three years but they were so wasted, I never researched what i was doing, just did what the instructer said and i ended up making no progress!! You should deffo get her to read through here, once she gets properly started there'll be no stopping her!!!

Testing my 1RM today on the Deadlift, it was one of those days where i was seriously pushed for time but i had to do it today!! I'm going to France on Sunday so i need to test the three lifts so i have something to work from, with the new program when i get back!!!

Here's how it went:

40kg x 3

50kg x 1

60kg x 1

70kg x 1

75kg x 1

80kg x 1

85kg x 1

90kg x 1

At this stage I had to leave, I'm kinda pissed coz i would have liked to see if there was even another 5 kgs there but I really had to go!!

Still really happy, only 30kg away from my target and i seem to making really fast progress!!

That 90kg is a pb by 20kg so delighted!! :)

Squatting later in the week...looking forward to it!!!

Malteaser! wrote:
    Thanks a million, tbh i was similar, I was a member of a gym for three years but they were so wasted, I never researched what i was doing, just did what the instructer said and i ended up making no progress!! You should deffo get her to read through here, once she gets properly started there'll be no stopping her!!!

I might print off some of your sessions get her started, she needs a helping hand although by the sounds of things im no hanley.Im going to start a log from tommorrow on.Wish me luck.Starting collage in dublin in sept so will have loads of time for weights cause i wont have to to football training yeah!sorry about my spelling

Malteaser! wrote:

I might print off some of your sessions get her started, she needs a helping hand although by the sounds of things im no hanley.Im going to start a log from tommorrow on.Wish me luck.Starting collage in dublin in sept so will have loads of time for weights cause i wont have to to football training yeah!sorry about my spelling

Tbh when I heard you pulled 90kg I was just like :o Nahhh... she couldn't have pulled that much already.

Bloody 1.5x bodyweight after a couple of months of lifting. Freaky.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭tribulus

Indeed, great work!

^^^Thanks guys!!

Squatting today, feel kinda meh about it, dunno why coz I'm now squatting over my bodyweight but i would have liked to have somone with me checking my depth and making sure i didn't get crushed under the weight!!

Here's how it went:

20kg x 3

30kg x 3

40kg x 1

45kg x 1

50kg x 1

55kg x 1

60kg x 1

65kg x 1

An increase of 15kg there so i guess i did ok, I really didn't feel like going any further coz of lack of said spotter!!

5kg over bw so happy days on that i guess!!

• Advertisement

My friend was havin her induction today so I said I'd give her a lift up and hang around so she didn't have to walk down the incredibly dangerous road by herself!!

While i was waiting for her I just did a few light bits and bobs to keep me ticking over till Saturday!! No plan or structure to it, just random things I thought of on the spur of the moment!!

Seated Dumbell Press:

7kg x 2 x 7

8kg x 6 x 5

Lateral Raises:

4kg x 8

5kg x 2 x 8

Bicep Curl: 6kg x 10

Skull Crushers:

10kg x 10

12.5kg x 10

15kg x 10

Bicep Curls

7kg x 10

8kg x 5

At this stage I got distracted by my friend and started to follow her and the instructer around the gym doing loads of different things that I'd never tried before...It was a bit of fun! I'm not even gonna try and name them now coz I can't remember but I can deffo feel some of the effects of it!!

Am I reading the dumbbell presses right???

Hanley wrote:
    Am I reading the dumbbell presses right???

lol...nooooooooo :p

It's meant to say 8kg x 6; 5!!

Jesus, I'm not that strong...yet!!

Meant to say, I weighed myself in the gym today...i was hovering around the 60kg mark so yay for that!! (it was 60 point something but I'm just gonna go ahead and pretend there was nothing after the point!! ;) )

Some photos taken last week:

DSCF0107.jpg

DSCF0110.jpg

I seem to have grown some shoulders for the first time in my life as well even if they are still itty bitty!!! :)

I'm now pretty much exactly where i want to be weightwise, If I could just maintain the weight as it is I'd be friggin delighted!!!

What I still don't get is how a core that teeny can support weights while you're squatting!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Hanley wrote:
    What I still don't get is how a core that teeny can support weights while you're squatting!!

That's for sure

animal for your weight and would put most men, myself included, to shame

very motivating log, keep it up

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,723 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Well done on your log, your seriously motivated, any chance of bottling it for the rest of us. ;)

What I cannot figure is how in the name of god someone so thin can lift so much, It would be really intimidating to come across you in the gym, and I mean that in a good way!!

Best of luck with it, any points on good sites to see how the different lifts are done. I now have serious doubts on whether I am lifting right or not! @home so no one to tell me, even morons!! :)

I presume when you say "Form" that you mean how you lift a weight.

All the best and well done

Just a quick note to let y'all know Malteaser's currently away in France atm. I'm sure she'll respond as soon as she returns!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,510 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

Does Malteaser use supplements?

• Advertisement

BossArky wrote:
    Does Malteaser use supplements?

AFAIK she takes a multi vit perday and will SOMETIMES use RAM postworkout (but only when I'm there and force it on her...)

Advertisement