Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Someday I Will...

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Malteaser!

Thanks y'all for the lovely comments!!

I arrived home yesterday on the boat from France after two weeks of travelling on the back of a bike!!The trip itself was pretty awesome, looked a little something like this:

First day travelled from Cherbourg to Chateauroux for an overnight stop before driving on down to Carcassone the next day. Carcassone was such an amazing place, for anyone who hasn't heard of it its this medevil village, comletely closed in, paved with cobblestones, tons of gargoyles on all the buildings, really traditional shops, actually I could never do it just justice by trying to describe it! (silly billy that I am I left my camera with Hanley yesterday but google has a few ok pictures!)
    Carcassonne.jpg

So we spent one night there before moving down through Montpellier and Toulouse to a town just outside Monaco. Unfortunately disaster struck...we got a puncture on the motorway on the way down! Apparantly the insurance people can't send tow trucks to the motorway coz they're not allowed to stop on it so we ended up having to ring the French police who sent out a tow truck to us. In the meantime, another Goldwing passed us and pulled over, the guy had no English whatsoever so he rang his sister who could and she translated everything for us. That guy was an actual godsend, he was in a rush to get to work but he made sure we were ok, talked to the police for us, wrote out a note to give to the driver, explaining that we could only be left at a Honda garage etc..We spent 2 hours at the side of the road but eventually the guy arrived and brought us to a garage, the whole tire had to be replaced, the puncture was so bad that you could actually see the canvas on the inside!! :eek: so its just as well we insisted on going to a proper garage!

It was some job getting the bike onto the truck and back off again..
    DSC09044.jpg

DSC09045.jpg

We finally got there in the end, I spent 3 days in the South, getting a savage tan and taking in all the sites. During those three days we took trips along the coast to Cannes and St. Tropez. Cannes was probably my favourite place out of the parts of the south that i saw...When i get my camera back I'll throw a few pics up!!

After there we had an overnight stop in a place called Macon, not a whole lot happneing there, it really was just an overnight stop.

Next day onto Paris, again three days there! Without a shadow of a doubt Paris was the best place we went to! i Fell in love with the city, I'm already making plans to go back there i the spring! The whole metro thing was, erm, interesing to say the least but i figured it out in the end!! Did all the usual things there, Eifel Tower, Louvre, Arc de Triomphe, Notre Dame, ate some buffalo etc etc etc

Last stop was a place called Caen before travelling back up to Cherbourg along the coast to get in some of the war beaches!!

Overall it was an incredibly memorable triploads of funny and weird happenins that I can't actually remeber now coz i'm so wrecked!!

When I got back home yesterday, i literally had to go straight to wrok! I work at Shelbourne Park and the Derby was on last night so they needed anyone they could get to work it...Didnt stop serving till 2 and then didn;t get home till about 4am, as you can imagine I'm incredibly tired now! I had to get up at 9 this morning to bring my sister dancing, it was the strangest thing ever though getting back into my car and actually driving after 2 weeks of being on the bike!! a good strange though, I missed it!

So I'm back, feeling refreshed and ready to attack the gym! I decided to do a beginners Sheiko programme and being the big legend that he is, Jimbob did out my whole program for me so its all typed out waiting to be done!!

Back into the gym on Monday, i need another day to recover from last night!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭tribulus

Malteaser! wrote:
    I decided to do a beginners Sheiko programme and being the big legend that he is, Jimbob did out my whole program for me so its all typed out waiting to be done!!

Back into the gym on Monday, i need another day to recover from last night!! :D

Oh god he roped you into one as well! J/k they're tough but rewarding.
    The holiday sounds deadly.

yop wrote:
    Well done on your log, your seriously motivated, any chance of bottling it for the rest of us. ;)

What I cannot figure is how in the name of god someone so thin can lift so much, It would be really intimidating to come across you in the gym, and I mean that in a good way!!

Best of luck with it, any points on good sites to see how the different lifts are done. I now have serious doubts on whether I am lifting right or not! @home so no one to tell me, even morons!! :)

I presume when you say "Form" that you mean how you lift a weight.

All the best and well done

Thank you :o

Tbh, I learnt how to lift by sitting at powerlifting competitions. when Hanley is competeing I'd sit in the audience all day watching all the lifts, when a person missed a lift I'd always be watching to see what they had done wrong, you know, not squatting deep enough, hitching the bar up when deadlifting, I learnt all the little bitty things about the three main lifts there.

As for everything else, that just took Hanley standing over me making sure i did them right. It really is invaluable to have someone there with you for the first few sessions pointing out where you're making mistakes. You can look at all the videos you want but unfortunatley when you're lifting in the beginning its hard to concentrate on making sure your form is perfect while actually performing the lift and even if you feel like you're doing them right, it really does help to have somone else there, even taping you so you can look back and improve. Especially with something like squats, often people feel like they've hit parelell when in fact they're only doing 1/4 squats.

Actuallly if you're training at home you should take a few videos, throw them up here and there's tons of people who'll look them over and give advice.

BossArky wrote:
    Does Malteaser use supplements?

As Hanley said, just a multi-vitamin tab and a fish liver oil tablet every day.

RAM every now and again and thats about it!!

• Advertisement

tribulus wrote:
    Oh god he roped you into one as well! J/k they're tough but rewarding.
    The holiday sounds deadly.

I know, I was looking at the sheet there last night and some of the days look positively frightning!! :D

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,510 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

Malteaser! wrote:
    As Hanley said, just a multi-vitamin tab and a fish liver oil tablet every day.

RAM every now and again and thats about it!!

Remind me what RAM does for you again? Just had a quick google and found only pc RAM links..

Started Sheiko today, man it's going to be tough...very very tough!!

I was hella excited about it but when i went in i was so pushed for time so I ended up a bit stressed out trying to get it done!!

Anyways, here's how it went:

Bench:

20kg x 2 x 5

25kg x 2 x 5

27.5kg x 5 x 3

Squat

20kg x 5

32.5kg x 5

40kg x 2 x 5

45kg x 5 x 5

Bench:

20kg x 2 x 5

25kg x 4 x 4

Flies:

5kg 'bells x 5 x 10

Used wraps for the last few sets on the bench, my wrist was acting up but I didn't wanna stop without finishing the session, they made the worl of difference, will definately be using them again. Hanley actually bought me a pair a few weeks ago but I never thought I needed them...:rolleyes:

The last few sets of the squats were a disaster, my friend came in and it was the first time I had seen her since i got back from France and when i say she wouldn't stop talking, i mean it. In the end I told her to just keep talking while i did my set and had to zone her out while she waffled on!!

Then it was back over to the bench, where she followed me and kept on talking...then, one of the instructers who we're friendly with came over and actually started talking to me as well, like I was actually in the middle of the set when he started telling me about his weekend!!! I was seriously surprised by him...I think I should do that to him next day he's training!! ;)

Anyways, all in all, not too bad, felt good to be back in the gym but it wasn't easy!!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Nice going you big legend!!

**Impending Shock Warning**

• Advertisement

Hanley wrote:
    **Impending Shock Warning**

haha it's not really a big deal....

today wasn't a sheiko day but I was up in the gym with my friend anyway, just having a bit of a mess around...

Did cardio for the first time in forever:

Cross Trainer:
    10 minutes

Shoulder Press:

6kg 'bells x 6

7kg 'bells x 7

8kg 'bells x 8

9kg 'bells x 9

10kg 'bells x 10*

Situps on a ball: 3 x 12

Side Raisey thingys 2 x 12

Leg raises:

3 x 5

Bike: 5 minutes

StairMaster: 5 minutes

Just did the cardio to fill in time while i was waiting for my friend. had absolutely no intention of doing any weights today but i just couldn't resist.

*Whenever I was doing shoulder presses I always made sure i could do the same number of reps as the weight I was lifting before progressing onto a new weight eg, 5kg x 5, 6kg x 6. My secret goal that i wanted to reach was 10kg x 10 coz thats the heaviest weight in the dumbell tree and it just seemed like a nice tidy number. Anyway my last pb was 8kg x 6. Today I really really wanted to make it 8kg x 8....but em....I kinda went a bit overboard and did 9kg x 9, then 10kg x 10...I was fricking delighted....one goal down...There was definately more there but I didn't want to wear mself out coz i have sheiko to do tomorrow!! so yeah...happy faces!! :)

Sheiko, Week 1, day 2

Deadlift to knees: (Pulling the bar only to the knees, with a quick pause and then back to the ground, no lock out.)

45kg x 3

55kg x 3

62.5kg x 2 x 3

67.5kg x 4 x 3

Incline Bench:

20kg x 6 x 4

Dumbells Extentions:

5kg x 5 x 5

RackPulls: (from below the knees)

50kg x 4

57.5kg x 4

67.5kg x 2 x 4

77.5kg x 4 x 3

Lunges:

5kg x 5 x 5

Leg Raises:

3 x 10

Thoughts later, in a big rush now!

Another big session.... That's 3 awesome days in a row now. I tihnk you deserve one off!

The deadlifts today felt awful, just imagine your worst idea of a deadlift and thats what i was doing..My back was soooo rounded, words cannot even describe how p!ssed off i was...the bar kept on rolling away from me every time i bent down to pull it...At the last set I swear I was so angrythat i would have kicked it if I didn't know how much it would hurt!!

I was cursing like a bloody mad yolk, poor Hanley had the unfortunate task of trying to calm me down and persuade me they weren't that bad!! Anyways, I wanted to give up, never in the gym have I wanted to just walk out of a session and i might have actally done it if Hanley wasn't there. As silly as it may sound I didn't want to let him down!

All that anger that I had, I took it out on the bar in my last set and I f*cking owned it..It came up easy, perfect form, the works...The result on my mood was phenomonel, I breezed through the rest of the session!!

Was fun to try something new in the form of the dumbell extentions and rack pulls, everything else felt pretty strong!

Could have gone a lot heavier with the lunges, but that wasn't the point of the session!!

Overall, very mixed bag of thoughts at the end, one things for sure...this Sheiko lark is haaarrdd!!

Sheiko, Friday, Day 3, week 1

Bench:

20kg x 5

22.5kg x 4

25kg x 2 x 3

27.5kg x 2 x 2

25kg x 2 x 3

22.5kg x 4

20kg x 6

Flies:

5kg x 5 x x10

Squat:

20kg x 5

32.5kg x 5

40kg x 4

45kg x 2 x 3

50kg x 5 x 3

Dumbell Extentions:

5kg x 5 x 10

Should have posted this yesterday but haven't been online for most of the weekend.

Sunday Week 2, Day 1

Squat

20kg x 5

32kg x 5

40kg x 4

45kg x 2 x 3

52kg x 3 x 2

Bench:

20kg x 2 x 5

25kg x 2 x 2

27.5kg x 5 x 3

Flies:

6kg 'bells x 5 x 10

Front Squat

20kg x 2 x 3

22.5kg x 2 x 3

25kg x 4 x 2

HyperExtentions

5 x 5

With the squats i was really trying to focus on getting the form absolutely perfect and really going down as far as i possibly could. It's so difficult trying to gauge whether or not I've hit parelell or not when I'm on my own so it's good to have Hanley on days like yesterday to make sure i actually was and giving me little tips as i go on how to improve the lift as a whole.

Benching was so super easy, I've really gotten the hang of it and learned how to use my legs effectively which made a big help.

First time doing front squats, they also felt mega easy and were all so so deep as well. The only thing about them is my shoulders seem way to bony so the first few felt kinda sore until I found the right groove.

On a side note, the definition I'm getting in my arms, legs and back is freaky...I'm loving it!!

Non Sheiko day, bit of a nothing day tbh...

Shoulder Press:

7kg 'bellsx 7

8kg'bellsx 8

9kg 'bells x 9

10kg 'bells x 10

Squats:

Bodyweight x 10

BAr only (20kg) x 10

Bodyweight x 10

Bar Only (20kg) x 10

The squats were all done one after another with no rest, my legs were stinging me afterwards, obv it wasn't heavy but my legs aren't used to that kind of volume.

Was working again on form and depth, shouldn't be back in the gym now till Wednesday, hopefully my squat technique will be even better again after todays little session.

Holy mother of god, words cannot even describe how p!ssed off i am right now...

I just did one squat, one measly squat with the bar and now feel like leg is going to come out from under me...UGH...

The day I tested my max I hurt my groin but when i got back everything felt hunky dory and there was zero pain.

Anyways on Friday it felt a bit twingy but not too bad then on Sunday I actually had to stop squatting coz the pain was so intense, then yday, I could feel it but it wasn't too bad.

Up in the gym with my friend today and decided to try one squat to see how I was and now I can barely wakl!!

F*cking hell...why does this have to happen when I'm bang in the middle of the program???

NOw i can't decided what to do...ugh...I'll talk to over with Hanley later!!

Meant to post this up yesterday but was in too much of a rush, anyways:

Week 2, Day 2:

Deadlift To knees.

45kg x 3

55kg x 3

62.5kg x 2 x 3

67.5kg x 4 x 2

Bench:

22.5kg x 6 x 6

Flies:

7kg x 5 x 10

Rack PUlls:

50kg x 4

60kg x 4

67.5kg x 2 x 4

72.5kg x 4 x 4

Lunges:

5kg x 5 x 5

Week 2, Day 3 (the half way point)

Squat

32.5kg x 5

40kg x 4

45kg x 2 x 3

50kg x 5 x 2

Bench:

20kg x 2 x 5

25kg x 2 x 3

27kg x 2 x 2

25kg x 3

22.5kg x 5

20kg x 7

Flies:

6kg x 5 x 10

Squats

32.5kg x 5

40kg x 2 x 5

45kg x 2 x 4

Hyperextentions:

5 x 5

Groin held up perfectly till my second lot of squats and the niggly pain started back and by the last set it was quite sore.

Benching felt amazing, so so strong! :) I'm really delighted with how that's come on, I'm reallly learning how to do it competition perfect! :)

• Advertisement

Sheiko, Week 3, Day 1

Squat

20kg x 3

32.5kg x 5

40kg x 4

45kg x 2 x 3

52.5kg x 4 x 2

Bench

20kg x 2 x 5

25kg x 2 x 3

27.5kg x 6 x 3

Flies:

6kg x 5 x 10

Squat

20kg x 5

30kg x 4 x 6

Hyper Extentions

5 x 5

Wrecked.

Week 3, Day 2

Today is gonna be mental so I decided to go to the gym when it opened at 6.30am, was surprised the amount of people there at that time but anyways it went well...

Deadlift:

45kg x 2 x 3

55kg x 2 x 3

60kg x 4 x 3

Bench:

20kg x 2 x 5

25kg x 2 x 3

27.5kg x 2 x 3

30kg x 2 x 3

27.5kg x 2 x 3

Flies:

6kg x 5 x 10

RackPull

55kg x 4

65kg x 2 x 4

72.5kg x 2 x 3

80kg x 3 x 2

Lunges:

7kg x 5 x 5

About halfway through the session I felt so ill, i was very nauseous and ended up just going out to the bathroom to sit for a minute or two but by the end of the benching i was feeling grand again.

Had my very first protein shake this morning, well I only drank half of it my poor tummy couldn't handle the rest though I'm told you get used to the taste!! :)

Only 4 more days left with Sheiko...time to start working on a new program I think!!!

Sheiko, Week 3, Day 3 (one week left)

Squat

20kg x 5

32.5kg x 5

40kg x 4

45kg x 2 x 3

50kg x 6 x 3

Bench

20kg x 2 x 5

25kg x 2 x 3

27.5kg x 7 x 3

Flies

7kg x 5 x 10

Military Press:

20kg x 5 x 4

HyperExtentions:

5 x 5

Really nice liitle session today. It's funny how my thinking has changed throughout this cycle.

At the start when I'd see 6 sets on the paper I'd be thinking 'well i'll just do 4, that'll be enough...' and I'd really have to push myself through the rest of the sets but today when I saw 6 sets,even though my stomach did kinda drop a bit at fiirst I wasn't thinking about cutting myself short, I knew I could do it so why shouldn't I?? Why do anything less then I'm able for??

First time military pressing, that was fun. I had one of the instructors come in and watch to make sure i was doing it alright, two thumbs up from him so I'm pretty delighted with that!

Everything else was good,, nothing felt heavy and for the first time I can say I had an easy Sheiko day!!!

Awesome. You really just keep impressing me more and more. I could really say that after pretty much every session because I understand how hard it is to keep pushing with Sheiko. I know people see the numbers and the frequency but unless it's something you've put yourself thru you really can't understand just how hard it is, physically and mentally.

So yeah, high 5 baby!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭tribulus

When you go back to "normal" training, you'll go 3 x 8, is that all!

Nothing seems as daunting anymore.

tribulus wrote:
    When you go back to "normal" training, you'll go 3 x 8, is that all!

Nothing seems as daunting anymore.

Hahaha yeah. Even if your lifts only go up a little bit, the ability it gives you to get thru workouts and handle more volume is whoppper.

Week 3, Day 1

Squat

20kg x 5

32.5kg x 5

40kg x 4

45kg x 2 x 3

52.5kg x 5 x 3

Bench

20lg x 2 x 5

22.5kg x 5

27.5kg x 5 x 4

Flies:

6lg x 5 x 10

Skull Crushers:

10kg x 5 x 8

Front Squat

20kg x 3 x 5

25kg x 3 x 3

Another good day, mentally and physically.

Delighted with the squats, I'm really improving at getting them right down below parralel.

Bench was feeling strong again, I really can't wait to retest that when this is all over, I have a feeling it'll have shot right up!

Starting to hate flies, it seems I never get a day away from them, when I do my new program they're one thing that deffo won't be present (unless Hanley tells me I have to, and then...well I'll have to!!! ;))

First time doing skull crushers in a while, i always liked them. Couldn't go as heavy as I normally would, I think it's coz i was so wrecked from all the squatting and benching beforehand!!

Really enjoy front squatting, I dunno what it is but It just seemed to click with me.

Another easy day :eek: shocking really!

Non-Sheiko day.

Another 'bits and bobs' day really!

Leg Press:

60kg x 10

90kg x 10

110kg x 10

120kg x 10

130kg x 8

Incline Bench

20kg x 5

25kg x 5

27.5kg x 3

30kg x 1

HyperExtentions:

+10kg plate x 10

+15kg plate x 10

+20kg plate x 10

Leg Raises:

3 x 10

Tidy little session, nothing too taxing. Pb's on...well everything.

Leg press, there's a pb of 10kg there, not really a big deal though imo, it just goes to show that the reason my squat isn't higher isn't because of a lack of strength in my legs though, it's probably due to a lack in core strength so I'm gonna keep that in mind when doing up the new program and throw in some ab stuff and just keep up the hypers etc. I know that some difference is normal but I reckon my leg strength is enough to squat more than I currently can so hopefully with the added core work (and maybe some upper back assistance) I can bring my squat up a bit soon. Oh and yes, the leg presses were all full range of motion!! ;)

Incline bench is up 5kgs from when I did it last about a month ago. It's only 5kgs away from my 'max' flat bench (35kg). I tested that about a month and a half ago, before Sheiko started, so I'm really expecting a good increase on that. Definately aiming for about 40kg in two weeks or so.

Never did weighted hyperextentions so anything I'm gonna lift is a PB, it was good having Hanley there for the feedback...apparently I can do weighted hypers better than without :confused:

I always struggled with leg raises before, so when i was able to do all those sets with proper straight legs I was so happy.

So like I said, tidy little session...looking forward to getting back into the gym on Wednesday to get my second last day of Sheiko finished!!!

Sheiko was a great choice. I'm glad you made me let you do it!!

• Advertisement

Hanley wrote:
    Sheiko was a great choice. I'm glad you made me let you do it!!

I totally agree.

I forgot to put bicep curls into my original post, i did:

7kg x 10

8kg x 10

9kg x 10

just after the benching.

Advertisement