Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Someday I Will...

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭the drifter

are you going doing the IDFPA nationals?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Malteaser!

are you going doing the IDFPA nationals?

God no.

I'll be down there with Hanley as usual but no plans to compete any time soon.

It's something I'd think about in the future but my lifts need some huge improvement in the meantime!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭maxi-twist

Malteaser! wrote: »
    I give into my cravings so easily.

Got some great advice on this board a while ago, brush your teeth whenever you get a craving and it dissappears, also they only last 8-14 mins so if you set your watch for 15 mins later they should also be gone. Best of luck!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

maxi-twist wrote: »
    Got some great advice on this board a while ago, brush your teeth whenever you get a craving and it dissappears, also they only last 8-14 mins so if you set your watch for 15 mins later they should also be gone. Best of luck!

Drinking cold water is another good option!

Thanks guys! :)

Bench

20kg x 6

25kg x 6

27.5kg x 3 x 6

25kg x 6

20kg x 6

DB Bench

10kg 'bells x 3 x 8

Flies

7kg 'bells x 3 x 8

Seated Overhead Press

7kg 'bells x 3 x 10

• Advertisement

SUPER QUICK UPDATE:

Haven't been in the gym since last week, won't be back till after Monday. I've been trying to study for exams, it's a pain in the arse and I really don't have the time to get in.

I've been working on a new program for when I do go back, I find that I work better when I know exactly what I'm doing before I go. It's gonna be pretty brutal but I'm looking forward to it in a weird way.

Still off all fastfood and fizzy drinks. It hasn't been nearly as hard as I remembered from the last time and my water consumption has gone right up. So YAY for that. My diet still isn't as good as it should be though, carbs are still high but tbh right now I don't have the time to be obsessing over the little details. I'll think more about that when the exams are done.

Last Night:

Deadlift

50kg x 5

60kg x 5

70kg x 3

80kg x 3

70kg x 3

60kg x 8

Bent Over DB Rows

10kg 'bells x 8

15kg 'bells x 8

17.5kg 'bells x 8

20kg 'bells x 6

Pulldowns

30kg x 8

37.5kg x 2 x 8

Really surprised by last night session, I had seriously expected a massive drop of in strength because I" been away for so long but that really wasn't the case.

Got 80kg for 3 which I was delighted about, before Christmas I had gotten it for one then I come back after after about a month and a half off and get for 3. The strength is definitely there, it's just my head that's holding me back.

Db rows, were savage. 20kg for 6. Wow is all I can say to that, before Christmas I managed 17.5kg for 5 and they were kinda clumsy coz I wasn't used to using the bigger dumbbells but these felt so much smoother and stronger.

I was really dreading going back, I was afraid that my lack of strength would act as a disincentive for me to continue going, however that is definitely not the case. Th fire's been relighted!!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,121 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

Wow, quality! Guess a break really does do you good! nice one!

Wow, quality! Guess a break really does do you good! nice one!

haha, thanks, I reckon it was just what I needed!! :)

I forgot to say earlier that the whole weight loss thing is actually going quite well. I'm down to 61.7kg now. I'm not doing anything to actively lose the weight, that's to say I haven't had to change my eating habits really, just switched to sugar free soft drinks, less fast food etc... nothing too drastic. I've always been lucky in that the slightest change will give me results.

Back from my weekend away at the nationals. Absolutely savage weekend all round!!!

I came back with a refreshed drive to kick ass in the gym and to get my lifts right up.

Was benching last night, started a new program. The weights weren't particularly heavy butt the volume killed me. My rest periods were much shorter than usual and by the end the burn was absolutely killing me.

Bench

20kg x 6

25kg x 6 x 4

Close grip bench

20kg x 5

22.5kg x 5

25kg x 3 x 5

Paused Bench

20kg x 3 x 6

Pushdowns

10kg x 20

15kg x 20

20kg x 20

Chest Supported Rows

Can't remember the weight x 5 x 12

• Advertisement

Last night:

Squat

20kg x 5

30kg x 5

40kg x 5

45kg x 2 x 6

20kg x 6 x 5

25kg x 2 x 5

SLDL

40kg x 2 x 12

I don't even know what to say about last night. It was messy and horrible and I was in an awful mood at the end. After all the work I put in before Christmas on getting my form down, I expected some sort of reward in the form of being able to rep a medium kinda weight... it turns out that I'm just not strong enough for it. 45kgs were ugly as hell. I was frustrated, lost all concentration, I refused to listen to Hanley, I just wanted to leave straight away but ended up dropping back to 20kg for some 'pause' squats, half of them weren't paused coz I just wasn't paying attention and forgot that that's what I was meant to be doing. I ended up narrowing my stance even though before Christmas I had widened it to stop my knees drifting forward. So now I have to find an in-betweeny stance that works.

Decided to finish up with some SLDLs, only 40% of my max but by the 9th and 10th rep I was fried. I actually thought I was doing them really well even though it's been a long long time since I've done them but apparently they weren't controlled or weren't tight enough or something. I was too pissed off at that stage to even care.

Meant to be going back to the gym in a while to work on them again but I'm still so angry about last night that I just don't want to.

Saturday Night

Deadlift

50kg x 5

60kg x 5

70kg x 4

80kg x 1

60kg x 5

Bent over rows

12.5kg x 10

-Gym was closing so I couldn't do anything else...

Bench

20kg x 6

25kg x 5

27.5kg x 6 x 4

Close Grip bench

20kg x 5

25kg x 5 x 5

Paused Bench

20kg x 6

22.5kg x 3 x 6

Pushdowns

15kg x 20

20kg x 20

25kg x 20

Chest Supported Rows

Can't remember the weight again x 3 x 12

I´ve been in Lanzarote for the past week so I haven´t been to the gym at all, I did do a squat session just before I left though I can´t for the life of me remember what I did. I do remember feeling really happy with it, squats were a huge improvement on the previous week and I didn´t feel like walking out in tears or hitting Hanley in the face!!

Home on Saturday so I´m pretty sure I´ll be back in the gym on Sunday...deadlifting ( I think :p)

Deadlift

50kg x 5

60kg x 5

70kg x 3

80kg x 3

70kg x 3 x 3

Bent Over Rows

12.5kg 'bells x 10 per side

15kg 'bells x 8 per side

17.5kg 'bells x 8 per side

Pulldowns

30kg x 8

37.5kg x 8

Not a bad little session considering I've been away for a week and have been seriously lacking in any sort of routine before that.

I really need to get my mental attitude sorted with the deadlifts. With the 80kg I was kinda struggling, it felt heavy. It really shouldn't have because I've done it before no problem, after it I decided to drop back to 70kg for 3 sets of 3, I was tired and stiff and in no mood really but I'm not gonna make 120kg if I don't push myself. Before I bent down to the bar I tried to prepare myself mentally for it, that's to say I took a leaf out of Hanley's book and got all aggressive and shizz with the bar...70kg felt like 50kg, the difference between the first few sets and the last three was unbelievable, I've always said that the main thing holding me back is my mind and I really need to work on that. Getting physced up really does help, the gym was pretty empty today so I didn't mind but on the busy nights I feel like a bit of a sap.

Videos to come later, just waiting on youtube...

That's one of the sets of 70kg...

That's the 80kg x 3.

I reckon my legs are a bit too straight before I start to push my hips through...

My back is a bit on the rounded side...

I reckon I over-analyse everything...

I dunno if the video above embedded properly but I can't see it so this is the link to it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RueU-CJxDNo just in case.

Squat

20kg x 5

25kg x 5

30kg x 5

32.5kg x 3 x 6

Paused Squat

25kg x 3 x 5

SLDL

40kg x 3 x 15

FINALLY things are starting to come together with my squat. Everything felt right today, it came just in time too, I was really starting to give up on it and it's amazing how a little session like today can bring it all back together.

I"m only increasing the weights by a small amount every week. When i take big leaps, my form is compromised immediately so I plan to just work it up nice and slowly, once I'm improving from session to session I'll be happy. I really need to stop being so over-ambitious, expecting huge changes each week, I'm still a newb after all. :rolleyes:

Videos to come later...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,510 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

FINALLY things are starting to come together with my squat. Everything felt right today, it came just in time too, I was really starting to give up on it and it's amazing how a little session like today can bring it all back together.

I"m only increasing the weights by a small amount every week. When i take big leaps, my form is compromised immediately so I plan to just work it up nice and slowly, once I'm improving from session to session I'll be happy. I really need to stop being so over-ambitious, expecting huge changes each week, I'm still a newb after all. :rolleyes:

Fair play getting the squat together. Based upon Hanley & Trib's advice back in Sept/Oct I dropped the weight on squats and concentrated on form. It is just about paying off now I think as I'm back up to the weights I was doing previously, but with decent form and sitting back into them.

BossArky wrote: »
    Fair play getting the squat together. Based upon Hanley & Trib's advice back in Sept/Oct I dropped the weight on squats and concentrated on form. It is just about paying off now I think as I'm back up to the weights I was doing previously, but with decent form and sitting back into them.

Speaking of Hanley, where is he these days? On hungry strike for the banning or something?! :D He'll be 50kg when he gets back. I cannot believe he is out of the gym this long.

Thanks , it's something I should have done weeks ago but I was being stubborn and thought I could fix it without dropping back, obviously not the case!!

Hanley is still training (and eating) his ass off but can't post because he's still banned!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

Hanley is still training (and eating) his ass off but can't post because he's still banned!!

**** happens.

Any more discussion of other posters bans in any threads that are not in Feedback will result in others being in the same boat.

It's always been that way folks, try and stick to it please?

Benched on Wednesday, can't remember all the weights I used though. It was the same set up that I've been using for the last 3 or 4 weeks, top set was 27.5kg for regular bench, 25kg for close grip and 20kg(22.5kg??) for paused, I think!!

Will prolly end up going to the gym tonight!

Deadlifting last night..

Deadlift

50kg x 5

60kg x 5

70kg x 3 x 5

60kg x 10

Bent Over DB Rows

10kg 'bells x 10

15kg 'bells x 10

17.5kg 'bells 8

Nice little session, no real complaints. Deadlifting got much easier as the sets went on, I felt very stiff to begin with but loosened up a good bit. My back is in ribbons today though!! :(

Squat

20kg x 6

25kg x 6

30kg x 6

35kg x 3 x 6

Pause Squats

20kg x 5

25kg x 3 x 5

SLDL

30kg x 3 x 15

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

And the squats were easy :p

I have a feeling I've missed out logging a session or two over the last week or so but not to worry...

Yesterday:

Squat:

20kg x 6

25kg x 6

30kg x 6

37.5kg x 3 x 6

Paused Squat

20kg x 5

25kg x 5

27.5kg x 3 x 5

SLDL:

40kg x 3 x 15

Squats felt bang on. Really really happy with the progress I'm making on them, next week going 40kg x 3 x 6 and I've no doubt that the power and strength are there tbh.

Pause squats are just plain nasty after...well anything.

Today:

Deadlift

50kg x 5

60kg x 5

72.5kg x 3 x 5

Bent-Over Dumbbell Rows

10kg 'bells x 8 perside

15kg 'bells x 8 per side

17.5kg 'bells x 8 per side

20kg 'bells x 5 per side

Lat Pulldowns:

30kg x 2 x 8

37.5kg x 8

Deadlifts were unbelievably easy and fast, I have a video which I'll throw up later.

The plan is to up the weight by 2.5kg each week and go 3 x 5, hopefully I'll get up to 80kg. Then the following week I'll go for 82.5kg x 3 x 3 and continuing increasing until I hit a wall then back down to 82.5kg for 3 sets of 5...that should keep me going for a while anyway... :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Thats the first set of 72.5kg x 5.

(The instructor guy was telling me I was mad for taping myself, that's who I'm telling to p!ss off just in case anyone was wondering!!)

But yeah, they were very fast and easy...

Advertisement