Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Someday I Will...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Malteaser!

Bench

20kg x 4

25kg x 4

30kg x 6 x 4 (PB for reps)

Close grip Bench

20kg x 5

25kg x 5

27.5kg x 2 x 5; 4

25kg x 2 x 5

Pause Bench

20kg x 3 x 6

Pushdowns

3 x 20

Ok so benching was kind of fun today.

When I did my first set of 30 (my old pb was 30kg x 3 so bit of an improvement there), I said to Hanley, 'there is no way I can do that for another six sets'. He was right as usual, of course I could, I just needed to focus. I think that was the take-home message for today. I threw on a pair of Hanleys wraps for the last three sets, I haven't used them in ages. I forgot how much support you get from them. The first time I used them today, I put them on wrong and they dug really hard into my wrist, the pain was just so intense doing the fourth set but there was no way I was re-racking so just dealt with the pain, it felt like my hand was about to be severed off. Final two sets were pain free.

Close grips were a bit funny. 20kg and 25kg flew up so I reckoned I was ok for 27.5kg, the first and second set were grand but when I went for the third, my tris just died half way through and the bar just stopped half way up! I just dropped back down to 25kg to finish up. Hopefully I'll get 27.5 next week...

Pause bench are just like pause squats...nasty. I only used an empty bar but for the last rep on the second set, the damn thing nearly came back down on top of me...it didn't thank god but it was close. :o Then on the last set, something amazing happened, I just sat at the end of the bench for a while before I started, at this stage I was totally wrecked, my arms were burning me but I just focused on what I had to do, got my breathing sorted, really blanked out everything else and went for it. Now its hard to describe just how awesome that set was, it might seem lame, the weight was really low but believe me after that amount of volume your body just wants to shut down and the previous two sets were so hard, I really didn't think I had it in me for a third but I just physced myself up for it, my mind was saying yes even though my body was still saying no but sure when I went for it I may as well have been pressing the air, on the fourth rep I nearly started to laugh coz the difference was so big, when I was done, Hanley just looked at me with his mouth wide open in shock. They were so smooth and came off my chest so fast, it really was a great feeling. It just goes to show what you can achieve when you put your mind to it. :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

As I've already said to ya in person, frickin awesome workout. I was really really impressed. Your bench is starting to make some good progress now. I'd say you'd do your old PR for 3 or 4 reps now.

It's amazing how much your triceps just die eh? I remember the first few times that it happened to me. I was utterly shocked!!

It's all about attitude (as you probably saw by me today!!). You're doing great <3

Hanley wrote: »
    As I've already said to ya in person, frickin awesome workout. I was really really impressed. Your bench is starting to make some good progress now. I'd say you'd do your old PR for 3 or 4 reps now.

It's amazing how much your triceps just die eh? I remember the first few times that it happened to me. I was utterly shocked!!

It's all about attitude (as you probably saw by me today!!). You're doing great <3

It's about flipping time too!! :rolleyes:

With the triceps, yeah, it had happened to me once or twice with some dumbbell work and I just knew better to fight it, I was just gonna loose anyway!!

Thanks all the same, everything seems to be coming together...I'm most excited about my deadlift tbh...2 x bw is so close. I can feel it!! :)

Good, no GREAT work on the squats today...

I just noticed you didn't have todays log up. Sort that out would ya?

• Advertisement

I just noticed you didn't have todays log up. Sort that out would ya?

Jeez, don't get too impatient or anything would ya?? :p

Squats

20kg x 6

25kg x 6

30kg x 6

35kg x 6

40kg x 3 x 6

Paused Squats

20kg x 5

25kg x 5

30kg x 5

Crosstrainer
    x 5 minutes :o

I was kind of anxious about squatting before going in, I'm pretty sure, 40kg x 3 x 6 would be the heaviest I've gone for reps so there was all the usual ' what if I can't get the full three sets done, i'm gonna have to start again next week etc' fear going on.

They weren't actually as hard as I thought they were going to be, I keep forgetting that I've lifted this weight before (albeit with worse form), but there's nothing to be scared of. It's funny when I was doing them, I didn't feel like I was going deep enough with them but luckily I taped them and they were all right down. :)

Normally when I'm done squatting my legs are in bits, as you'd expect, but yesterday they felt absolutely fine, my whole core on the other hand felt a bit battered. I guess what I was harping on about a few months back, that my legs are strong enough to support these weights but my core is what's holding me back still holds true. It's something that I really need to work on if I want to increase the weight, it sucks though, coz I really hate working specifically on my core! (I guess most people would say they hate working on the part they're the weakest at?)

The crosstrainer was just embarrassing, I literally got on it and within 30 seconds I had the most painful stitch in my side. There was no way I was getting off it having done less than a minute so I said to myself, if you can get to 5 we'll call it a day. Let me tell ya, that 5 minutes was worse than any heavy squat or deadlift day I've done in while. I"m putting it down to the fact that I was just so exhausted from the squats but it is something that I"m gonna come back to when I'm not so wrecked.

I was dropping Hanley up the gym yesterday so I said I'd go in and p!ss around while he was doing his thing. I couldn't decide whether I should deadlift again or just do some light accessory work. The accessory work won out. I am really and truly exhausted at this stage, 4 or 5 days on the trot doing nothing but heavy compound work is enough is leave anyone knackered! The day before I didn't do any SLDLs which I would normally do on a squat day so my priority was to get them done and after that I just didn't care!

SLDL:

40kg x 3 x 15

Bicep Curls

8kg 'bells x 10 (per side)

Seated Tricep Extentions

5kg x 3 x 8

Then just some core work to finish up.

Nothing special, just something to keep me ticking over.

Went up the the gym last night just before it closed, I wanted to get my deadlifts done and thats about it. I plan on going up a bit earlier today, its just time got away from me last night.

Deadlifts:

50kg x 5

60kg x 5

70kg x 5

75kg x 3 x 5

So I managed 75 for three fives, I think my last best was a set of three. My strength is really going up recently, I think I said it before but just in case, the plan with the deadlifts is to get three sets of five for 80, before scaling back the reps.

The first set of deadlifts were teh hardest last night, I dunno what it is, I think i get used to the weight so they become easier as the sets go on. The first three reps of each set were really solid and smooth, then I get tired and the last two are a bit harder.

After the deadlifts, I went up to do some ab work, I dunno what the machine was but basically you sit into it and theres like a bar across your chest and you have to roll downwards with it, anyway I did:

10kg x 12

15kg x 12

20kg x 12

25kg x 12

30kg x 12

35kg x 12

40kg x 12

They were easy, i dunno whether I like them or not, I was just trying them out coz my friend was going on about how good they were!!

Squat

20kg x 6

25kg x 6

30kg x 6

35kg x 6

42.5kg x 3 x 6

Paused Squats

20kg x 5

25kg x 5

32.5kg x 3 x 5

SLDLs

40kg x 3 x 15

My New Fandangled Ab Machine

40kg x 10

45kg x 10

The gym was really packed when I got up there last night and there was no squat racks free, for the first set of twenty I just pressed the bar over my head and brought it back down but I brought it down way too hard and it landed on my neck...that was sore!! :(

The 42.5kgs were good I think. They were steady and controlled. I have videos of them, the first set were all below parallel, but they weren't as deep as I knew I could get them so for the next set I went deeper again.

For the last set, I set the bar up wrong on my back - it was kind of pinned on a bone in my shoulder and after the first rep I got a load of pins and needles down my arm, it was such a weird feeling, my back kind of rounded out a bit on those ones...it was too difficult to pay attention on keeping my back straight when I thought my arm was about to give out.

Paused squats were decent, I'm increasing the weight on them slowly as well, so far so good. They got deeper and more paused as the sets went on. By the end, my ass was practically touching the ground!! :D

SLDLs are the one thing in my whole program that I really really dread having to do. I think its just the number of reps that sucks, I'm knackered by 8 and almost always feel like giving up at 10. Anyways, they're done now for another week!! :)

It's been a while since I posted here, I've been mainly busy with college assignments and haven't been feeling too well recently, so getting to the gym has been a bit hit and miss.

I set up a deadly little gym though out in my shed, its now got a treadmill, crosstrainer, a bench with 50kg worth of weights and one of those core ball thingys. I've been using the crosstrainer a bit when I wasn't able to get to the gym, I really want to get my general fitness up as well as my strength.

The bench hasn't seen much use from me though, I'm afraid to go down there on my own in case I get flattened and no-one hears me screaming for help!! :p

I should get up to the gym later on today but I've said that every other day this week and it still hasn't happened...grrrrr...I hate how all my assignments for the year are due in within a few days of one another :mad:

• Advertisement

Squat

20kg x 6

30kg x 6

40kg x 6

45kg x 3 x 4

Paused Squats

35kg x 3 x 5

So today was crap but good at the same time.

It was crap because I was sick, like I really should have known better and just stayed away for another day or two but I didn't. I got very hot, very quickly, you'd expect to sweat and stuff when you're working out but I was feeling that yucky kinda sickly sweating coz my temperature was so high!! :(

I started and I just wanted to get outta there asap, I'd normally take smaller jumps in the weight but I just didn't have it in me to do that many sets.

The plan was to do 45kg x 3 x 6 but I knew the second I started that that just wasn't going to happen. At the end of the set of 40kg, I made a deal with myself - that if I could just get 45kg x 3 x 4 I'd be more than happy.

It was good coz, it wasn't overly hard, but it took a hell of a lot out of me. Like I'm pretty confident that 45kg x 3 x 6 is there but today just wasn't the day for it. And I'm also happy with the fact that I was able to push myself waaay beyond my comfort zone and came out of it on the other side having finished what I set out to do.

Happy with the paused squats too. They nearly killed me though, I really felt like I was going to get sick after them!! gross eh?

Anyway, tomorrow's another day. Hopefully I'll be feeling a bit better!!

That was some excellent work today hun!! Your squat seems to be coming along quite well at the moment.

That was some excellent work today hun!! Your squat seems to be coming along quite well at the moment.

Cheers big ears!!

I was in two minds about going up to the gym yesterday after how bad I felt coming out the day before but I decided to go anyway with no expectations and just do what I could manage.

Deadlift

60kg x 6

70kg x 6

77.5kg x 3 x 6

Bent-Over Dumbbell Rows

15kg 'bells x 3 x 8

Short but brutal.

That's a PB on the deadlift for reps. Last PB with that weight was x 3 so to get it for 3 x 5 is a pretty big deal. My strength just keeps on going up and up with them. Next week I'm planning, 80kg x 3 x 5. That'll be pretty huge, but judging by how easy the ones yesterday were there shouldn't be a bother. After that, I'm thinking of dropping back to sets of 3 all the way up to 90kg. If I can do 90kg x 3 x 3, then there's no doubt that I'll blast my old PB of 100kg out of the water!! :)

I meant to stick this in here during the week but completely forgot:

Stats

Sex:Female
    Height: 5"10
    Weight:63.5kg

Measurements

Neck: 12in
    Chest: 34 in
    Bicep: 10.5in - unflexed
    Wrist: 6in
    Waist @ bellybutton: 25.5in
    Hips: 32.5in
    Knee: 14in
    Calf: 13.5in

Goals

- To lift at least 3 times a week and to keep working on getting the big 3 up. I"m thinking of testing my maxes sometime in the next few weeks as well so I'm really excited about that!!

- Get in at least 2 cardio sessions a week with the idea of getting my general fitness up. I do no cardio now, well every time I try I end up with a stitch two minutes in. I'd like to be able to go for at least 15 minutes on the cross trainer without dying...something I can't actually do now!!

- To do ab/core work every single day I go to the gym - something I always mean to do but, eh, end up not having time for! There's this ab machine in the gym, its like a weighted sit up machine, I don't actually know what its called but I want to be able to do the entire stack for 12 reps in 8 weeks time!!

- I suppose it'd be nice to get my bf to a level that I could see my abs, but that really is no biggie - I have a lot of college things going on at the moment and I just don't think that I care enough about that that particular goal right now to sacrifice college stuff, especially as its something I can just do it the summer anyway. Like, I'd probably end up a cranky carb deprived mare and I just can't be in that state coming up to exams.

The extra core work will tie in nicely with my plan of getting my abs to show after my exams which incidentally finish the same day as this.

- I've no interest in loosing weight, if it happens it happens but I really don't need to right now so it won't be something I'm focusing on.

I'm absolutely dying with DOMs from the last two sessions, heading back up the gym shortly though,- no better way to get rid of them then to get the blood flowing again!! :D If all goes to plan it should be a pretty big day!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,548 ✭✭✭siochain

respect for the weights your hauling, great lifts. The idea of recording is class, great way of keeping the form good.

As your training a good while and in the training groove your goals will come easly, (its also help when the other half is commited too) The work your putting with the big 3 will be hitting your core too.

good luck with the big 3 and abs.

Malteaser! wrote: »
    I'm absolutely dying with DOMs from the last two sessions, heading back up the gym shortly though,- no better way to get rid of them then to get the blood flowing again!! :D If all goes to plan it should be a pretty big day!!

Bleugh...I spoke too soon. Sunday was a pretty crap day for me, i was planning on benching 32.5kg x 6 x 4 but that just didn't happen.

Bench:

20kg x 5

25kg x 5

27kg x 5

32.5kg x 2; 3; 3; 1

Close grip Bench:

20kg x6

25kg x 3 x 6

So all in all, not exactly what I was expecting.

The strength just wasn't there on the day. I was so frustrated and annoyed, I seriously just wanted to leave after the first crap 'set'. Hanley was there and he persuaded me to push through and I did kind of but my heart really wasn't in it.

I've been annoyed about it since but I was just looking back in my log and realised that I hadn't benched since the 10th of March so that's after improving my mood somewhat. I dunno what I'm going to do about my bench tbh...all three lifts can just never go right for me at the same time!! :rolleyes:

siochain wrote: »
    respect for the weights your hauling, great lifts. The idea of recording is class, great way of keeping the form good.

As your training a good while and in the training groove your goals will come easly, (its also help when the other half is commited too) The work your putting with the big 3 will be hitting your core too.

good luck with the big 3 and abs.

Thanks a million! :)

The idea to video my lifts came from Hanley but I really cannot recommend doing it enough. It really helped me when I was struggling with my form and stuff to be able to look back again and again in order to figure out where I was going wrong and fix it.

My training groove has been pretty all over the place recently, like I've said, I have loads of assignments so they're taking priority over my training atm though once they're done I should be able to get back into it pretty smoothly!!

I am lucky that I have Ham helping me, I don't really like being told exactly what to do though (what girl does??) so sometimes his ideas are wasted on me but it's great to be able to bounce my own ideas off him.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,510 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

The idea to video my lifts came from Hanley but I really cannot recommend doing it enough. It really helped me when I was struggling with my form and stuff to be able to look back again and again in order to figure out where I was going wrong and fix it

Yes I totally agree with this.

G'wan ya good thing!!

Squat

20kg x 6

25kg x 6

30kg x 6

40kg x 5

45kg x 3 x 5

Paused Squats

20kg x 5

30kg x 5

35kg x 3 x 5

Stiff Legged Deadlifts

40kg x 3 x 15

Ab Machine - Really need to learn the name of...

30kg x 12

35kg x 12

40kg x 12

Yesterday was a good day.

PR for reps on the squats, not by much mind you, but still an improvement on last week!! :)

• Advertisement

Bench

20kg x 6

25kg x 6

30kg x 5

32.5kg x 3 x 4

Close Grip Bench

20kg x 5

25kg x 5

27.5kg x 5 x 5

Paused Bench

20kg x 3 x 6

Ab Machine

30kg x 12

35kg x 12

40kg x 12

45kg x 12

Huge improvement on the bench from last week, I got 32.5kg for 3 x 4 - I really struggled with sets of two last week!

Close grip is seriously nearly as strong as my regular bench - weird!!

Got a plate higher on my ab machine, it means that I only have 6 more to go until I get the full stack! :D

This evening:

Just 10 minutes on the cross trainer at home...flipping wrecked from it though, cardio is not my friend!!

This morning:

10 minutes on the crosstrainer - not as wrecked as the other night!!

Deadlifting later!

Deadlift

60kg x 5

70kg x 5

75kg x 2

80kg x 3 x 5

Pulldowns

30kg x 8

37.5kg x 8

30kg x 8

Seated Cable Rows

20kg x 8

25kg x 2 x 8

Frickin' awesome session...I'll update with thoughts and videos tomorrow!! :)

My thoughts on yesterday:

80kg x 3 x 5 with the deadlifts is a *massive* psychological breakthrough for me. It was a milestone that I"ve been aiming for now since I started this new program, now that I got it it's time to scale the reps back to 3 per set and work my way up 90. My last PB was 80kg x 3 x 3, I think and they were always quite hard.

The way I see it now is that if I can do 80kg x 3 x 5 then I can do 82.5kg x 3 x 3 next week and if I can do that I can do 85kg x 3 x 3 the following week and so on.

So the new plan - Work my way up to 90kg for 3 3's and then there's a new cycle that Hanley suggested I try out, it's 8 weeks I think and after that It's testing time!! :)

Video to come when I get it onto youtube!!

80kg x 5

More thoughts to come later!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭lindak

Hi Malteaser, that has encouraged me:) ! I usually do stiff deadlift or sumo deadlift for some reason I have avoided romanian deadlift , well I know the reason cause its damn hard ! Think I gonna start adding it to my workout.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Chimp

I thought I was great dead-lifting 90Kg... D'oh!

My thoughts on yesterday:

80kg x 3 x 5 with the deadlifts is a *massive* psychological breakthrough for me. It was a milestone that I"ve been aiming for now since I started this new program, now that I got it it's time to scale the reps back to 3 per set and work my way up 90. My last PB was 80kg x 3 x 3, I think and they were always quite hard.

The way I see it now is that if I can do 80kg x 3 x 5 then I can do 82.5kg x 3 x 3 next week and if I can do that I can do 85kg x 3 x 3 the following week and so on.

So the new plan - Work my way up to 90kg for 3 3's and then there's a new cycle that Hanley suggested I try out, it's 8 weeks I think and after that It's testing time!! :)

Video to come when I get it onto youtube!!

It's actually 10 weeks long hun!!

• Advertisement

lindak wrote: »
    Hi Malteaser, that has encouraged me:) ! I usually do stiff deadlift or sumo deadlift for some reason I have avoided romanian deadlift , well I know the reason cause its damn hard ! Think I gonna start adding it to my workout.

Hey, Thanks for that!! :)

Any reason you started doing those two instead of just plain ol' conventional ones?? (That's what I'm doing in the vid btw) I've never been a fan of romanian deadlifts either for the exact same reason, they're really good for hamstring strength though which should help with your squats and deads!!

Advertisement