Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Someday I Will...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Malteaser!

I thought I was great dead-lifting 90Kg... D'oh!

Lol :o Thanks!!

Hanley wrote: »
    It's actually 10 weeks long hun!!

Damnit...wishful thinking I suppose!!:rolleyes:

Malteaser! wrote: »

80kg x 5

More thoughts to come later!!!

I meant to come back to this yesterday and I forgot!!

There's still a ton of things I need to work on but tbh I've spent way too long over-analysing every tiny detail of each lift. I don't think it's going to be beneficial to me at this stage, dropping back again to fix little things that I know will just sort themselves out over time anyway.

From next week on, every single top set I do will be a PR for reps. I have never tried to do a set over 80kg so I'm kinda nervous about it, but I know that the strength is there. I like to reason with myself, I think I"ve said it before, like if I can do 80kg x 5 then I can do 82.5kg for 3 and so on. It usually works for me so here's hoping!! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭lindak

Hey, Thanks for that!! smile.gif

Any reason you started doing those two instead of just plain ol' conventional ones?? (That's what I'm doing in the vid btw) I've never been a fan of romanian deadlifts either for the exact same reason, they're really good for hamstring strength though which should help with your squats and deads!!

Sorry got mixed up thought that was romanian for some reason. I dont know how it happened that I started with stiff and sumo to be honest. But I am going to defo include this into next workout and give it a try!

lindak wrote: »
    Sorry got mixed up thought that was romanian for some reason. I dont know how it happened that I started with stiff and sumo to be honest. But I am going to defo include this into next workout and give it a try!

Yeah do. I'll keep an eye on your log to see how you get on with them. :)

I tried to lift sumo for a while but it really wasn't for me, my knees kept on turning inwards when I went to pull, if that makes sense, so I just never felt comfortable enough to push for big weights. As for stiff leg...well they're just evil!! :D

• Advertisement

Squat

20kg x 5

30kg x 5

35kg x 5

40kg x 5

45kg x 2

47.5kg x 4 x 5

Paused Squats

30kg x 3 x 5

SLDL

40kg x 3 x 15

Abs

Really really good session there. Another PB for reps on the squats!! :)

I was doing the whole reasoning with myself again by doing the fourth set with 47.5kg...if I can do that for 4 then I can do 50kg for 3.

I'm heading back up to the gym now...not sure exactly what I'm going to do, I have no spot for the bench so I might just do some accessory work...can;t do any harm like!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭lindak

Ha , I know at first I hated the stiff leg, but i have gotten into them recently, but I definatley think I would benefit from the conventional deadlift. !

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Yeah do. I'll keep an eye on your log to see how you get on with them. :)

I tried to lift sumo for a while but it really wasn't for me, my knees kept on turning inwards when I went to pull, if that makes sense, so I just never felt comfortable enough to push for big weights. As for stiff leg...well they're just evil!! :D

I struggled for a long time to crack the sumo's too. Now that I've figured them out I think I'm alot more suited to them. Probably not the case for you tho since you've got good proportion's to pull conventional.

SLDL's are a love hate/thing with me. I hate how hard they are but love the results!!

Today was a weird one, I didn't do any squatting, deads or bench so it didn't feel like a normal session, it was just a nothing session. I guess I needed a bit of a break anyway. I went with my best friend who's been in Bahrain for the last two weeks so we ended up doing more talking than work!! :o

Ab Crunch Machine

35kg x 10

40kg x 10

45kg x 10

50kg x 10

Hanging Leg Raises

3 x 5

DB Bench

10kg ' bells x 8

12.5kg 'bells x 2 x 8

Military Press

20kg x 3 x 6

Seated Shoulder Press

6kg x 7

7kg x 2 x 7

One Arm Extentions

5kg x 3 x 6

Rower x 5 minutes

My elbows felt pretty beat up on the extentions. Something to watch out for.

There was such a weird atmosphere in the gym today. When I walked into the weights room it was jammers (unusual for mid day) and even more unusual it was like walking into a room of strangers - I know it's always been filled with strangers but normally I'd see the same heads up there day in day out, say a friendly hello to a few people etc, but today I knew NO ONE, I know that sounds a bit strange but it was just a weird feeling. A girl in the free weights section is a rare sight in TF and at this stage all the regulars know me and pay no attention to what I do, but today it felt like all the newbs (of which there were many) were looking at me as if to say 'what does this one think she's doing in here'. Gah....I'm probably over-thinking it, I was just uncomfortable in there for the first time in a long long time!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭celestial

Today was a weird one, I didn't do any squatting, deads or bench so it didn't feel like a normal session, it was just a nothing session. I guess I needed a bit of a break anyway. I went with my best friend who's been in Bahrain for the last two weeks so we ended up doing more talking than work!! :o

Ab Crunch Machine

35kg x 10

40kg x 10

45kg x 10

50kg x 10

Hanging Leg Raises

3 x 5

DB Bench

10kg ' bells x 8

12.5kg 'bells x 2 x 8

Military Press

20kg x 3 x 6

Seated Shoulder Press

6kg x 7

7kg x 2 x 7

One Arm Extentions

5kg x 3 x 6

Rower x 5 minutes

My elbows felt pretty beat up on the extentions. Something to watch out for.

There was such a weird atmosphere in the gym today. When I walked into the weights room it was jammers (unusual for mid day) and even more unusual it was like walking into a room of strangers - I know it's always been filled with strangers but normally I'd see the same heads up there day in day out, say a friendly hello to a few people etc, but today I knew NO ONE, I know that sounds a bit strange but it was just a weird feeling. A girl in the free weights section is a rare sight in TF and at this stage all the regulars know me and pay no attention to what I do, but today it felt like all the newbs (of which there were many) were looking at me as if to say 'what does this one think she's doing in here'. Gah....I'm probably over-thinking it, I was just uncomfortable in there for the first time in a long long time!!

Stare right back Malteaser!

• Advertisement

Well done you ;)

Arrived up the gym today about half an hour before it closed so I didn't have a whole lot of time to get anything done.

Deadlifts

60kg x 4

70kg x 3

77.5kg x 3

82.5kg x 3 x 3

They were kinda harder than I expected.

It could have been because I was rushed so didn't have much time to set up/rest between sets. I got a video though which I'll throw up on youtube later!!

I meant to say the other day that I did the military presses that when I was doing them my back felt really unbalanced. Like one side was doing much more work. I have reasonably bad scoliosis (curvature of the spine) so one side has always compensated for the other. It seemed up till now that the weights were really helping balance it out. Whenever I did any sort of dumbbell work the strong side would obviously be much easier so I'd have to wait for the other side to catch up before going any heavier however recently my workouts haven't included much DB work at all and because I"ve been working only with barbells it seems one side has started to work extra hard again.

It hasn't been causing me any pain in a long time but it's something that I'm going to have to watch, and maybe try to incorporate some DB work into each session to build it up again.

I had such an awesome work-out tonight, I'll do up my thoughts and stuff tomorrow, I'm Too wrecked to think now...

Squat:

23kg x 4

33kg x 4

43kg x 3

47kg x 2

53kg x 3 x 5*

Deadlift

63kg x 4

73kg x 3

83kg x 3

93kg x 3*

My best deadlift EVER is 100kg for 1 and I did 93kg for 3 tonight AFTER doing a max effort set of squats which also happen to be all time PRs.

I'll update properly tomorrow...just wanted to get that out there!! HOO-RAH :)

Have to say, seeing you do what you did today was totally ridiculous. PR deadlifts after PR squats is just nuts.

Thoughts on the last session^^^

Me and Hanley took a trip out to Total Fitness Sandyford just to check it out. I was originally meant to be benching but after taking a look at their selection of benches I decided to squat instead.

I've only ever squatted in Blanch before and I didn't realise how good the racks there were. In Sandyford, it feels like the racks are too small for the bar, each time I went to re-rack the plates would bash off the frame. It was ok for the light weights but as I got heavier I was afraid to even take the weight out in case I couldn't get it back in. In the end Hanley just stood behind me in case I had trouble!!

53kg x 3 x 5 is a *huge* achievement for me. I just keep thinking back to when I came back to the gym after Christmas, after taking some time out - I could barely do 45 x 5, they were all so ugly and probably high. Now I'm back in an even better position then ever before, I finally managed to get my form right, I'm literally getting deeper and deeper with each session and to top it off my strength just keeps getting better! I don't dread going in for a squat session any more - all those crappy frustrating days when I felt like crying coming out of the gym seem to be paying off.

I was frickin delighted with getting my PB for reps on the squat, I was meant to be doing just some paused squats after that and taking it easy but I guess I was feeling a bit mad and decided to deadlift straight after.

Deadlifting was awesome. Like I said 100kg is my 1RM, and I was able to do 93kg x 3 after a max effort squat session. Obviously my deadlift program is working!! :) I tell ya there's no other feeling like getting a new PR, Hanley could tell you, I was on a high for the rest of the evening. :D

The 93s were ugly as hell, but I really don't care, at least they were all smooth and none of them were hitched!

Double bodyweight could fall much sooner than I thought, definitely within a year of me starting to lift!! :p

Oh and just something else to note -my hips were really tight when I started them and no amount of stretching etc would loosen them up, it's not surprising but just something to keep an eye on!

82.5kg from the other day:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭the drifter

excellent lifting well done.... ul's sinead is going to have some serious competition in a few years!!

I forgot how easy that 82.5kg vid looked.

When ya told me there was actually 93kg on the bar in Sandyford (When I looked I thought it was only 88) I really couldn't believe it. I was SERIOUSLY impressed. And all of that after PR squats. Just insane.

I've a few ideas for you bench that I'll tell you about later on if ya want..

excellent lifting well done.... ul's sinead is going to have some serious competition in a few years!!

haha, it'll be many years before that happens but thanks all the same!!! :D
    I forgot how easy that 82.5kg vid looked.

When ya told me there was actually 93kg on the bar in Sandyford (When I looked I thought it was only 88) I really couldn't believe it. I was SERIOUSLY impressed. And all of that after PR squats. Just insane.

I've a few ideas for you bench that I'll tell you about later on if ya want..

Yeah that'd be deadly, it's the only thing I really seem to be struggling with now!!

You're insane. That is all.

• Advertisement

Another HUGE day today.

Squats

20kg x 4

30kg x 4

40kg x 4

45kg x 1

50kg x 1

55kg x 1

60kg x 1

65kg x 1

Hyyperextentions

+ 10kg x 2 x 10

Hanging Leg Raises

3 x 5

So way back when, I don't know if I was even posting in this log at the time, I got a PR of 65kg on the squat. Now I haven't made a big deal about it since because there was no one there to see it and if I was being completely honest, it was probably a mile high. At the time, I was just trying to outdo myself each week, form was coming second. I was really frickin' delighted that I could squat that but the more I think back at it, the more I think how I couldn't possibly have reached depth. Go me for managing to support it on my back and all that but it wouldn't have passed in competition so it's really no good.

It's only in the last two months or so that I've really learned how to squat properly, I've sorted out any flexibility issues that was stopping me from going all the way down before. I'm confidant now when I squat, I know when I've reached depth and when I've gone way below without a mirror or a camera to tell me.

Aaannyyways, back to today. I went over to Total Fitness in Malahide. I didn't have a plan going over, I've already squatted and deadlifted this week and I'm benching tonight. I only went over to show my friend how to squat so I decided I may as well just work up - see if I could get 60kg for a single.

It was the same rack as Blanch so there were no problems like in Sandyford, 60kg was easy. Seriously, no problem at all. I really wanted to make sure that I was getting it this time so I went even lower than I normally go, I swear any lower and I would have been sitting on the floor. The same with 65kg. Obviously it wasn't as easy but it wasn't impossible and it didn't feel like I was about to fall over coz the weight was so heavy (I distinctly remember that feeling from the last time). I went down ultra low again - maybe a bit too low. I reckon I was good for more but without a spotter I could trust, I wasn't risking it. So now I can finally say, without any doubt, that 65kg is my max on the squat!!! :):):)

You're insane. That is all.

What can I say?? It's true!!! :p

So now I can finally say, without any doubt, that 65kg is my max on the squat!!! :):):)

AND it was a legitimate rep with MORE than your bodyweight!! Beltless too....

Savage going. We should try and find a belt that fits you and see what sorta difference it makes some time soon!!

AND it was a legitimate rep with MORE than your bodyweight!! Beltless too....

Savage going. We should try and find a belt that fits you and see what sorta difference it makes some time soon!!

Oh god yeah, I totally forgot to mention that I wasn't using a belt or anything else. I was waiting until I could squat more than my body weight to try one out. I don't think I'll bother with it yet though, there's still plenty of strength left in me without it!!

And yup, it was more than my bodyweight :) I didn't even think of that until now!! :)

Well I do have an assortment for you to try!!

Right so I benched twice this week and because I didn't put them up straight away I can't remember everything I did, oh well, I'll do my best...

Bench:

20kg x 4

25kg x 4

27.5kg x 4

30kg x3

32.5kg x 3

35kg x 2

Lateral Raises

4kg 'bells x 8

5kg 'bells x 5

I got a savage pain in my shoulder doing the lateral raises so I had to call it a day there, I was really terrified that I was after injuring myself. I think it may have just been some mild inflamation, it hasn't been bad since.

35kg was my last PB, and I got it for two during the week so happy days, at least something is happening with my bench!!

Bench

20kg x 4

25kg x 4

27kg x 6 x 4

Lateral Raises

4kg x 8

5kg x 2 x 8

Shoulder Press

Can't remember the weight or reps

Assisted pull ups

3 x 5

I haven't felt very well over the last week, I've been feeling really run down. Those few max effort session in the gym really took a hell of a lot more out of me than I thought originally so I haven't been in since mid last week.

I'm feeling a lot better now though, I'm thinking of heading up to the gym in a few minutes and just see how much I"m able for. On one hand I don't want to go back too soon and risk getting worse but on the other hand I don't want to leave it too long before I go back! :confused:

I didn't take any measurements this morning, I'll try do it tomorrow if I can remember. It's funny, I don't think I've lost weight or inches but my clothes are all hanging off me and my stomach feels even flatter again. Maybe it's coz I haven't been eating as many carbs - I tend to deflate whenever I cut them down.

Squat

20kg x 4

30kg x 4

40kg x 3

45kg x 2

52.5kg x 3 x 3

Paused Squats

40kg x 3 x 5

Crosstrainer

5 minutes

Ab Crunch Machine

40kg x 3 x 10

Hyperextentions

+15kg x 3 x 8

Assisted Pull Ups

2 x 5

SLDL

40kg x 3 x 10

One of those kind of thrown together sessions.

Happy with the squats. I know I did 53kg x 3 x 5 last week but I wasn't meant to do that, so this week I just stuck with what I had planned to do at the beginning.

Everything else was just random bits and bobs. I'm tired now, think I'm heading back up to the gym later on with Hanley - Dunno what I'll be able for though coz my stomach was still feeling really queazy the whole way through that!!

• Advertisement

It's funny how you're not pause squatting weights you were unsure with on normal squats 6-8 weeks ago!

Advertisement