Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bean-to-cup machines

Options
  • 30-05-2007 8:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭

Anyone else got one. I bought a Saeco Vienna a few years ago and never looked back...no more pre-ground for me!...press a button and it grinds and dispenses a damn fine cup in a few seconds....
    That died on me and nearly electric shocked me to death when I tried to fix it, so I went with an Ariete Supreme to replace is as I wasn't loaded at the time. Only 200euro and almost every bit as good.
    Some day the Saeco Incanto will be mine....think that one is around 1000 euro :eek:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

I use a Jura Impressa X7 when in the office.
    Espresso is pretty good from it but I've noticed
    the auto-cappuccinatore tends to act up and clog
    (even with very regular cleaning).

Whilst it's good it'd be overkill for the home user as it retails
    at around €4.5k and it requires a diligent maintenance routine.
    The results from my Gaggia and MC2 are better ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭mcaul

Bodum have a great machine out. The Granos.
    It has 19 bar pressure. - Higest pressure for a home machine!

I use the lavazza Pods in it for a great cup of coffee.

Kitchen Dresser retails it at €299 - which is an excellent price - as they used to retail at €699 in Brown Thomas & I sold them in Liffey Valley (Special Days) at €599.

http://www.kitchendresser.net/index.asp?function=DISPLAYPRODUCT&productid=419

re: the Bodum, looks nice, but more 'pod to cup' than 'bean to cup'
    I'd have thought. What's it like without the pods?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭rockbeer

mcaul wrote:
    Bodum have a great machine out. The Granos.
    It has 19 bar pressure. - Higest pressure for a home machine!

Higher pressure doesn't necessarily mean better. Espresso must be brewed at 9 to 10 bars, so a 19 bar pump is only a good thing in combination with a good pressure regulator.

I don't know whether the Bodum has this or not - I've never used the machine so I can't comment. Just wouldn't want people thinking that more pressure is always better.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

rockbeer wrote:
    Higher pressure doesn't necessarily mean better. Espresso must be brewed at 9 to 10 bars, so a 19 bar pump is only a good thing in combination with a good pressure regulator.

I don't know whether the Bodum has this or not - I've never used the machine so I can't comment. Just wouldn't want people thinking that more pressure is always better.

Yeah, I heard before that 15 is the max that's needed

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭mcaul

re: the Bodum, looks nice, but more 'pod to cup' than 'bean to cup'
    I'd have thought. What's it like without the pods?

It has 3 attachments for the "arm". One for pods, one for single espresso / reg coffee and one for double espresso.

Machine has set programmes for single / double espresso & allows you programme the amount for an americano. Also has hot water feature (for tea or such) and steam.

I use pods cos they are just so easy especially in the office.

"Bean to cup", in my understanding of the term, usually refers to a machine
    which grinds the beans as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

"Bean to cup", in my understanding of the term, usually refers to a machine
    which grinds the beans as well.
    Correct.

Advertisement