Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BT DSL Problem

Options
  • 30-05-2007 9:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭

I lost broadband access over the weekend, so rang up tech support on Monday. The DSL light is not lighting on the router. Tech support had me do all the usual stuff of plugging out all other phones etc, but its still off. So they said they would have to do a line test and this would take up to 5 days. They said I had to leave the routher plugged in on and powered on for the next 5 days. Is this really necessary, the adaptor on the router gets pretty hot when its been on for a couple of hours so I am not too happy about leaving it plugged in day and night for 5 days. Will it make and difference if my router is not connected when they run the line test?

Cheers,
    Finn

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

If you want it sorted reasonably quickly then leave it plugged in. There are some tests that require a BB modem to be connected at the other end. They won't know the problem is fixed until they see your modem connected on their system. Don't worry about the adapter, they all get hot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Little-Devil

Finn Dub wrote:
    I lost broadband access over the weekend, so rang up tech support on Monday. The DSL light is not lighting on the router. Tech support had me do all the usual stuff of plugging out all other phones etc, but its still off. So they said they would have to do a line test and this would take up to 5 days. They said I had to leave the routher plugged in on and powered on for the next 5 days. Is this really necessary, the adaptor on the router gets pretty hot when its been on for a couple of hours so I am not too happy about leaving it plugged in day and night for 5 days. Will it make and difference if my router is not connected when they run the line test?

Cheers,
    Finn

If you wanted your problem sorted, then do as they say. You dont have to leave it on during the night, i would say more on week days durning the day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭Henry O'Henry

Hi Finn. Developed similar problems with my BT connection over weekend and they have just start re-appearing (i.e I am loosing the dsl signal and having to reboot router several times before a signal appears) tonight. I have tried a second router, same problem. You arn't in D6 are you?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

If you wanted your problem sorted, then do as they say. You dont have to leave it on during the night, i would say more on week days durning the day.
    If it's a line fault or a fault in the exchange then it'll be passed onto Eircom. A line fault would definately be done during the day but most of the exchange work is done at night (between 11pm and 7am).

• Registered Users Posts: 11,004 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

kaizersoze wrote:
    If it's a line fault or a fault in the exchange then it'll be passed onto Eircom. A line fault would definately be done during the day but most of the exchange work is done at night (between 11pm and 7am).

Do you know this from first hand experience because I worked for eircom and I've never known that to be the case.

• Advertisement
Advertisement