Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

motorbike carrier

• 30-05-2007 9:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 32

Can anyone suggest where I might get a motorbike carrier for a Knaus Traveller 708?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Currently I only know of German outfits that do them (not cheap), but I'll try and find one that ships to Ireland.

But as "Motorcaravans" here are not subject to NCT or DOE you could simply ask your friendly local metal fabricator to make you one of the "sure it'll do grand" - variety :D

One thing to keep in mind though:
    Your maximum load on the rear axle must not be exceeded. A heavy bike hanging on a long lever 2 meters or more behind the rear wheels is going to add a good few kg's to that load.
    Also on a front wheel drive motorhome you might loose a lot of traction, as that much weight so far back levers the front wheels up.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Rolex

Thanks Peasant,

It never dawned on me that I might be able to get one made. Though for finished good looks I dont think the "sure it'll do grand" variety would get first prize. If possible I would prefer to fit a factory fabricated one.

I have a factory made one, with all the necessary TUEV stamps and plaques.
    Don't know which company made it, but lookswise it does look fairly "homemade"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 467 ✭✭Chevy RV

Rolex wrote:
    Can anyone suggest where I might get a motorbike carrier for a Knaus Traveller 708?

Hi There,

You could try out these sites www.towtal.co.uk ( I think) and www.autowbars.co.uk and see if they can be of help. I am about to get a carrier made up to fit an American RV but of a similar design to those on the second site . Let me know and I could also probaly get one done for you as well if you have no joy elsewhere getting a readymade one.

Regards,

Chevy RV

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 peecee2

Hi There,

Last Summer I bought a motorhome in Germany and took it back to Southern Ireland. One of the many extras I removed was a pretty fancy Motorbike Rack. The van is a VW LT/Due Erre Start 528, but I guess the mounting hardware would be different for each type. There are enough certification documents for the rack (all in German) to sink a ship, along with assembly instructions etc. I have no intention of re-fitting it to my motorhome and at the moment the whole kit is just gathering dust in my attic, so if it is of any use to you, we can work out a vey reasonable price. I would bear in mind though that you would probably have to have the chassis mounting bars made up by a professional.

Cheers,

Peecee2

• Advertisement

peecee2 wrote:
    Hi There,

Last Summer I bought a motorhome in Germany and took it back to Southern Ireland. One of the many extras I removed was a pretty fancy Motorbike Rack. The van is a VW LT/Due Erre Start 528, but I guess the mounting hardware would be different for each type. There are enough certification documents for the rack (all in German) to sink a ship, along with assembly instructions etc. I have no intention of re-fitting it to my motorhome and at the moment the whole kit is just gathering dust in my attic, so if it is of any use to you, we can work out a vey reasonable price. I would bear in mind though that you would probably have to have the chassis mounting bars made up by a professional.

Cheers,

Peecee2

Do you have pictures available and what do you consider a reasonable price to free up some space in your attic ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 peecee2

Hi There,

Check out this link: http://www.smvmetall.de/English/Motorcycle_Carriers_e/body_motorcycle_carriers_e.html

It's the 150 - 200 kgs model. If you're interested, we can talk €€€.

Cheers

Hello There,

Are you still selling this carrier ?

Does it have the lights fitting attached ?

What kind of money are you looking for ?

Regards,

Chevy RV

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56 ✭✭pickledfish

I don't mean to cut in on peecee2 but I didn't see a reply to your message from 2 weeks ago. Anyway, if you are still stuck I have a rack that I removed from a 92 Burstner. Should be a straightforward fit to a Ducato chassis of similar age. It is a proper job that was on it when I bought her in Germany last year. I've no bike so no need for it.

I don't mean to cut in on peecee2 but I didn't see a reply to your message from 2 weeks ago. Anyway, if you are still stuck I have a rack that I removed from a 92 Burstner. Should be a straightforward fit to a Ducato chassis of similar age. It is a proper job that was on it when I bought her in Germany last year. I've no bike so no need for it.

Hi There,

Do you have photos af the rack ?

It would probably take some adjustment / fitting to get it to fit my chevy RV ?

Have you got a price in mind ?

Regards,

Chevy RV

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭loobylou

Peecee is away for 3 weeks, touring the continent. If anyone wants to contact him pm me and I'll give them his mobile no.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56 ✭✭pickledfish

Chevy...

I don't have photos. The rack has been removed and currently resides in my backyard.

I don't know how it would fit your van. I misread the original post and thought you had a Fiat chassis.

With this in mind, if you still are interested let me know.

Chevy...

I don't have photos. The rack has been removed and currently resides in my backyard.

I don't know how it would fit your van. I misread the original post and thought you had a Fiat chassis.

With this in mind, if you still are interested let me know.

Hello Pickledfish,

Does it have a brand name stamped on it or is it the DIY variety ?
    It must have the light fitting and I would then have to get it altered to fit mine and get the wiring clips changed also.
    Where are you located and how much are you talking about ?

P.S. Could you take a picture with a mobile phone and send it to me ?

Regards,

Chevy

guys ...I think it's time to continue this via pm. :D

I realise that a motorbike carrier would be hard to sell or buy via adverts.ie ...but that's where sales banter really belongs ..that or private messages.

Because ...if I allow it here, I'd have to allow it for everyone and sooner or later we'd have a proper buy and sell thingy going for motorhomes and accessories ...that would be too messy.

allrighty? :D

peasant wrote:
    guys ...I think it's time to continue this via pm. :D

I realise that a motorbike carrier would be hard to sell or buy via adverts.ie ...but that's where sales banter really belongs ..that or private messages.

Because ...if I allow it here, I'd have to allow it for everyone and sooner or later we'd have a proper buy and sell thingy going for motorhomes and accessories ...that would be too messy.

allrighty? :D

Sorry ........still fairly new to this game but I take your point completely. That PM takes a bit of getting used to but I will stick to it in future.

Regards,

Chevy RV

no worries :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,755 ✭✭✭ianobrien

Rolex wrote:

If the Camper is built on an Alko chassis, get an Alko one. There are bolt holes on the back of the Alko chassis for racks, tow hitches, etc.

Our one came with a factory fitted rack, made by Alko and it takes one minute to mount & remove it

Advertisement