Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Argos - credit note instead of replacement?

Options
  • 30-05-2007 10:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭

I bought a printer in Argos in November 2006 and have used it maybe 4 times, probably printed less than 100 pages on it.

Last week I went to print a document on it and of course, it's fubar'd. Paper is feeding at an angle and not being picked up by the feed rollers. I rang Canon and they said they'd have to replace it as they don't fix my particular printer anymore as it is out of production, but told me it would probably be quicker for me to go back to Argos.

If I bring it back to Argos (I have the receipt) can I just ask for a credit note instead of getting a replacement printer?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭dubsgirl

Hi I think you can. In my experience Argos are a great company to deal with if you have a problem. They'd take your granny back;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭egan007

You can get

A) a replacement
    B) A cretit note
    C) Your money back

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭stipey

If you still have the reciept you should be able to go one further and get your money back.

You are returning it because its faulty - as opposed to changing your mind or realising that you don't really need it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Nice one - thanks guys!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

stipey wrote:
    If you still have the reciept you should be able to go one further and get your money back.

You are returning it because its faulty - as opposed to changing your mind or realising that you don't really need it.

I tend to agree
    The rule is
    - Refund
    - Repair
    - Replace

Credit note is not one of the rules, however if your changing your mind then its at the discretion of the company so they could issue a note but if its a fault then they must do one of the above :)

Simple as that...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Wouldn't mind if it's a credit note or a refund tbh, just prefer not to get a replacement as I can do all my printing in work now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭Leeby

You could ask for your money back but I think they can refuse. I know you're entitled to your money back rather than a credit note, but they're entitled to replace the machine rather than give you a refund as far as I know. So if, as you said, you don't mind taking a credit note then just go for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭brian_rbk

refund, repair or replacement at the discretion of the retailer

• Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

recommendations from the Irish consumer agency to retailer is actually
    repair, replace, refund in that order

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

They usually give a replacement or refund. As they don't make your particular printer anymore they'll most likely just refund your money. I returned a Lexmark a few months ago and said I didn't want another one so they gave me a refund.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I know a guy brought an item back, electronics, it was now out of production, so they replaced it with the new better model, but the price had decreased over that time, so not only he got a better unit, he got vouchers to make up the difference he had paid 10 months before!

Dunno if that is the usual, but I have found Argos to be excellent regarding returns, one of the main reasons I give them business, if I am unsure of a product I know I will get cash back in 16days if I want it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

Having worked for Argos for almost 7 years, I can tell you that its the stores discretion as to whether they'll give you a credit note or replace the item. I would be surprised if they insisted on a replacement though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭vms7ply9t6dw4b

Your entitled to a repair under legislation.

Anything else is up to Argos

• Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Tony H

Argos are really good if a product is faulty , if your printer is not in their catalogue they will offer you a refund or a choice of a differrent printer, another good idea when buying in Argos is to buy their product replacment insurance , its for 3 years and they replace what you buy no matter what happens .

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

Can't see them insisting on a replacement tbh. I'm sure they'd be quite happy to give you a credit note, since you're going to be re-spending it in Argos anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭snappieT

If it's in stock, they'll replace.
    If not, they'll issue a credit note.

Simple as.

Advertisement