Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Enhanced interrogation

Options
  • 30-05-2007 10:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭

http://andrewsullivan.theatlantic.com/the_daily_dish/2007/05/verschfte_verne.html#more

I know, I know, godwin's law right... but the comparison still stands.

If it was a warcrime in 1948, then why isn't it one now?

In my opinion it is yet another example of the war crimes/crimes against humanity committed by the Bush administration for which they should be prosecuted as international criminals of the highest order.
    Critics will no doubt say I am accusing the Bush administration of being Hitler. I'm not. There is no comparison between the political system in Germany in 1937 and the U.S. in 2007. What I am reporting is a simple empirical fact: the interrogation methods approved and defended by this president are not new. Many have been used in the past. The very phrase used by the president to describe torture-that-isn't-somehow-torture - "enhanced interrogation techniques" - is a term originally coined by the Nazis. The techniques are indistinguishable. The methods were clearly understood in 1948 as war-crimes. The punishment for them was death.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

I don't think many will, at this stage, try to argue that Bush isn't guilty of multiple crimes and possibly recognised war crimes. Similar to the initial invasion, the facts don't support the argument, and yet again, it's Bush that's 100% wrong.

The question is (a) whether anyone will have the guts to put him on trial and (b) whether the [subset of] Americans and their supporters will yet again start trying to claim that questioning this is "anti-American".

And before that, regarding guilt by association, one of the PD candidates on my doorstep told me to my face that the Americans were stepping down their activities at Shannon (I welcomed it, but told her that it shouldn't be their decision) and then the following week I read news that they were EXPANDING their flights.

Goes to show that a vote-seeking canvasser will say ANYTHING you want to hear :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Judt

The most amusing thing about torture? Most interrogation experts will tell you that it doesn't work. If I break all the bones in your hand one by one then eventually you'll fess up to having shot JFK, just to make it stop. But torture makes people feel better when they know "our boys" are breaking up some sod "over there."

Advertisement