Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Disturbing Nightmare

Options
  • 30-05-2007 10:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭

I had this really disturbing nightmare and as a result of it haven’t been able to eat or sleep L Can anyone help me analyse it? I feel that if I know why I had it and what it’s about I can get it out of my head.
    Basically in my dream I was watching TV and there was a show on that was kind of like one of those "When animals attack" type shows. It was showing a clip where a man had gone on a TV show with his son and they were talking to a guy who was a famous TV vet. The thing about it though is that the two men were both horribly deformed. The vet had a deformed head with sharp teeth that jutted straight out of his mouth, and the other man had a shrunken skull and bulging features. Then out of nowhere the vet started to eat the other mans face. It disturbed me so much because the man had an expression on his face which reminded me of a horse eating grass, kind of placid not like he was attacking, just like he was having a little taste of something nice, while the other man who was having his face eaten was screaming his sons name (which I think was Marcellius, or something very similar) and he also seemed unable to move, and he just looked like he was in so much distress. The whole scene had laughter over it.
    I jumped awake at this point and couldn’t stop crying for hours.
    I’ve never had such a clear and graphic dream before. I’m having trouble sleeping, and every time I eat I feel sick because I’m reminded of it, and the feeling of teeth scraping against bone as they eat the flesh.

Does anyone know what provokes nightmares like this? I dont really know anything at all about dreams.

And also thought it might be worth mentioning that I had this dream after falling asleep on the couch, which is weird cos I never get decent sleep away from my bed.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Acid_Violet

Wish I could help, but the cause of it may well be cheese if you had cheese last night, did ya?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Holy crap that really is a deeply disturbing dream.

The problem with interpreting dreams is that it works better the more you know about the person. So considering I know nothing about you then this is pretty hard. Off the top of my head the theme seems to be casual abuse of power. The one doing the face-eating (lol) is doing so in complete disregard for his victim, and is doing it completely effortlessly.

If that metaphor fits anything in your life then maybe thats it.

You've reminded me of a very disturbing dream I had years and years ago, it evoked the exact same feeling. There were dozens and dozens of people locked into high tech chairs, in a line. A single laser beam was then fired at head height through the entire lot executing them all. It had the same horror of casual abuse of power.

Of course not every dream has a deeper meaning, it might just have been a horrible glut of different things you've seen over the last while.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Jonesy3110 wrote:
    I had this really disturbing nightmare and as a result of it haven’t been able to eat or sleep L Can anyone help me analyse it? I feel that if I know why I had it and what it’s about I can get it out of my head.
    Basically in my dream I was watching TV and there was a show on that was kind of like one of those "When animals attack" type shows. It was showing a clip where a man had gone on a TV show with his son and they were talking to a guy who was a famous TV vet. The thing about it though is that the two men were both horribly deformed. The vet had a deformed head with sharp teeth that jutted straight out of his mouth, and the other man had a shrunken skull and bulging features. Then out of nowhere the vet started to eat the other mans face. It disturbed me so much because the man had an expression on his face which reminded me of a horse eating grass, kind of placid not like he was attacking, just like he was having a little taste of something nice, while the other man who was having his face eaten was screaming his sons name (which I think was Marcellius, or something very similar) and he also seemed unable to move, and he just looked like he was in so much distress. The whole scene had laughter over it.
    I jumped awake at this point and couldn’t stop crying for hours.
    I’ve never had such a clear and graphic dream before. I’m having trouble sleeping, and every time I eat I feel sick because I’m reminded of it, and the feeling of teeth scraping against bone as they eat the flesh.

Does anyone know what provokes nightmares like this? I dont really know anything at all about dreams.

And also thought it might be worth mentioning that I had this dream after falling asleep on the couch, which is weird cos I never get decent sleep away from my bed.
    It sounds really complex and the issues potentially compound, but the following themes jump out at me which may or may not help you decipher what the underlying anxiety is. I'm going to throw out two major points of reference which may help you unlock the dream symbolism or not:

1. Teeth...primary sybolism of a self-defense mechanism in the context of dreams. Usually dreams of teeth falling out, becoming cracked etc, symbolise some worrying anxiety about feeling vunerable about a situation in real life.

2. Face + Eating. The face is very symbolic of identity. Combined with eating, this could be a worry about an eating disorder, in yourself or a friend (your dream was about a third party). Eating can also symbolise 'consuming' and dominance. Maybe an unhealthy relationship you have observed (again, could be you or a friend) is causing a change in personality.

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭Jonesy3110

Those are really good answers thank you :) A lot of the stuff you said about dominance seem really appropriate to whats been going on in my life lately. Thanks for your answers because I was having a really hard time getting it all out of my head and while I still think about it, it's stopped affecting me quite as much as it did when it was all fresh in my mind!

Just when I'm starting to get over my last disturbing dream, I have another one! This time I'm sitting on my couch and my boyfriend is sitting in the corner on the computer, which is normal for us, except I'm sitting there calmly peeling away the clear fleshy layer away from my own eyeballs! My boyfriend seems a little concerned that theres a little blood in my eyes and he hands me a tissue to wipe it up with.

It didn't upset me as much because it was all so calm, unlike my last one which felt really distressing.

I've gotta go see a psychiatrist :P

• Advertisement

Yes, yes you do.

This is my last post on this, cos its getting a little silly to me now :P

I had a dream that I was waiting at a bus stop and I calmly sat there and watched as a man walked into the middle of the road, lay down, and had his face run over by a car! I went over and his head was just mush.

I don't even care anymore :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭oneeyedsnake

Jonesy3110 wrote:
    This is my last post on this, cos its getting a little silly to me now :P

I had a dream that I was waiting at a bus stop and I calmly sat there and watched as a man walked into the middle of the road, lay down, and had his face run over by a car! I went over and his head was just mush.

I don't even care anymore :P

Your dreams are class,I actually thought that the first one was hilarious.

Jonesy3110 wrote:

Once again it shows a strangely casual approach. Very unusual.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,258 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Miss Edgar Allen Poe? What are you taking? (Not sure I want some...)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Miss Edgar Allen Poe? What are you taking? (Not sure I want some...)
    Ketamine, by the sounds of it.

You cheeky feckers :P I'm clean as a whistle. I've always had vivid dreams, but only recently have been having gruesome ones. I had one the other night where I think I was a scientist and I bred an alien with a number of different animals and let them loose in blanchardstown village to watch them kill people?! It was a total bloodbath.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,258 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Ever considered creatively writing short stories of your dreams?

I used to try and write about my dreams cos like I said, they've always been very graphic. I mean some of my dreams are just like movies with characters, plot twists and intricate storylines! And most of the time, I'm not involved in any way! Like this one epic dream I had set in medieval times where all the lower class citizens are sent down to pits outside of town to dig pointless for hours and hours, but one guy finds out after overhearing one of teh guards that they are in fact digging a huge mass grave where they would all end up after a mass genocide of all the lower class. The guy decided to start a revolution and made a very moving speech to the lower classes and led them all to battle. In the end of the dream however it turned out that it wasn't medieval times, but in fact the future, and the whole dream had been some sort of commentary on the way this world was heading! And then I woke up :P

Does anyone else have similar dreams?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

I just clicked on your free Pie link, thats not very conducive to a good nights sleep

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭Oman

man your dreams are cool. anyway a bit serious for a moment. your nightmares are all to do with the face and so i think you might be going through an identity crisis. Just my thought

Advertisement