Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tri Bars

Options
  • 30-05-2007 10:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭

Hi,

Just getting in to road cycling, and am planning on doing a number of duathlons and triathlons this summer.

My road bike is pretty much bog standard right now, and I'm thinking of adding tri bars. I have ridden bikes with them a couple of times, and think I could get used to them.

Do you think they would make a significant difference to my times, how much should I pay for them (only want basic ones), are they easy to detach and where should I go?

Thanks for any advice

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭Stereophonic

They will improve your timing but you do need to be a confident cyclist using them. You have to be accurate and steady on them but go ahead and buy them.

I think that Cycleways on Parnell Street beside that cinema (old Imax) has decent bars for low prices. I think their made by 'Profile Design'. Carbon ones will set you back.

Your talking €100 - €200 for fairly good ones.

Heres an example from Cycle Superstore, Tallaght.
    http://www.cyclesuperstore.ie/shop/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=130&idproduct=5521

• Registered Users Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭hunnymonster

Have a read of this article

http://www.triathlon.mb.ca/training_TrainingWithAerobars.pdf

which has information on cycling with tri-bars

• Registered Users Posts: 6,501 ✭✭✭daymobrew

My first aerobars were the Profile Design Century (e55). Unfortunately I lost access to my the top of my handlebars.
    I moved them to my commute bike (they do help against head winds) and bought Profile Design Airstryke (e110) for my road bike. The padded arms spring up when not in use.

The aerobars took a little getting used to - I was a little wobbly at first - but now they are second nature. I find them comfortable and a nice break from having weight on my hands. For me it's a way to relax my upper body and concentrate on working my legs.

I never take my aerobars off either bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭justdoit

Thanks guys,

Reckon I'm gonna go for it. This triathlon lark was meant to be just another way to pass the time, not an all consuming lifestyle that eats all of my salary, but c'est la vie...

Advertisement