Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pet hair... which hoover?

• 30-05-2007 11:32am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,557 ✭✭✭✭

My God... Dog hair is the absolute bane of my life.....
    This fellow is offender No.1.
    He's big, and he's hairy, and he seems to be shedding constantly for the last three months (already tried a change in diet). It doesnt help that my house is tiny and carpeted either, with two dogs.

DSCI0014.jpg

I'm thinking of investing in a Dyson, as my little Henry hoover just cant seem to cope. Can anyone recommend the dyson animal.... Or any other vacuum cleaners?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭ambman

the dyson animal is your only man. it is excellent well worth the extra few quid.i got mine in harvey normans for 365 at the time but not sure if they are still the same price. anyway it will be money well spent:D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

Will it pick up fine cat hair I wonder? I have a 2000watt siemens bagged one that doesnt pick up ANY of the hair. Its like its glued to the carpet.
    By the way, this hoover when going can almost suck the carpet up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭Rancid

Miele Cat&Dog
    http://www.miele.ie/_domesticProducts/viewProduct.asp?productID=172

It has a foot with revolving brushes to catch even the finest hairs. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,557 ✭✭✭✭fits

About how much does the miele cost?
    I'm entitled to a 30% discount on the dyson (family connections) but it will still be expensive at that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,472 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Don't know how much that particular Miele costs, but based on our own personal experience with another model of Miele vacuum cleaner, if you get it, there's a good chance you'll still be using it in 20 years time, which is more than can be said of a Dyson if the experience of some of my family members is anything to go by.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37 simplybetter

My two Cents,

We had a Dyson before but bits of plastic started to snap off it after 9 months. Also when you empty the dyson into a bin quite a bit of the dust is blown up into the air.

We have a Miele Cat & Dog which is the best hover I have ever used; steel tubes proper build quality and gets those dog hairs off the carpet effortlessly
    Miele is expensive but will last and last

I'm using the Miele Cat&Dog 700 for about 2 years now and it's excellent. Cost approx €450.
    I see the newer model is the 2200, probably expensive but well worth it, imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

We've got the Dyson "animal" but (sensibly:D ) no carpets.

What makes the "animal" different from other Dysons are two special attachments with rotating brushes.

These brushes work well to pick up shortish dog and cat hair from carpet and other fabrics.
    If you have a dog with rather long hair (fits, you've seen Harvey:D ) they're pretty useles, as the long hair wraps around the brushes and you have to cut it out. so at home we hardly ever use the brush attachments.
    Every now and then I bring the "animal" down to the office to remove bits of Harvey that I've managed to drag along. I does a really good job of picking those hairs out of industrial carpet, but afterwards I have to spend 20 minutes cutting out the hair from the brushes.

Other than that the Dyson is a fine machine. We've had ours for three years now and it hasn't missed a beat and suction really IS good on it. We wash the filter about once a month and haven't needed to buy a new one yet.

Well worth the money I think, even though next time I wouldn't get the "animal" anymore. (Maybe buy the normal version and get the furniture brush only as an extra)

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Danes

I've got the Miele Cat and Dog 700 too. I forget what I paid for it but it was considerably cheaper than the Dyson Animal. The sales person in the shop talked me out of the Dyson. He showed me the store room where there was a pile of Dysons which had come back for repair/replacement and said he wouldnt buy one himself so he couldnt recommend them. I've had the Miele for about 3 years and have no complaints at all. I dont have carpeting downstairs but I do have 4 indoor dogs and chocolate brown fabric couches!:rolleyes: My rough coated lurcher sheds hair in clumps and it used to tumbleweed across the timber floors so between that and the short Great Dane hair, a regular hoover just couldnt cope.

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭Jotter

I got the Miele too, think its great, gets everythign up and youre not changing the bag every few mins. My parents have a dyson, I hate it, theres some contraption on it that i can never work so i just end up flinging the whole thing ont he ground cursing and no hoovering gets done :rolleyes: :)

• Advertisement

hmmm.... interesting...
    I'll definitely check out that miele too...
    Thankfully we're moving to a larger house with hard floors and a garden in September... I cant wait!
    The carpet will probably walk out the door and follow us!

Peasant...do you think the dyson would be ok for Bob? outside of his fan tail, the hairs wouldnt be nearly as long as Harveys..

I think it would ...

You still won't get away without the occasional maintenance on the brushes though, but it shouldn't be as bad as in our case.

EDIT:
    the good thing about the Dyson is that apart from the initial price, there is no follow on cost ...no bags, no filters, no noth'n

• Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭Annika30

We got a Dyson 'animal' but I don't think they are good.

Annika

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

ambman wrote:
    the dyson animal is your only man. it is excellent well worth the extra few quid.i got mine in harvey normans for 365 at the time but not sure if they are still the same price. anyway it will be money well spent:D

Got the Dyson animal a couple of years ago. Such a piece of shít!:mad:
    The head on it was fecked within a month or too! Meant to get another one but didn't get around to it. The hoover died last year when it was just out of warrenty:(

peasant wrote:
    These brushes work well to pick up shortish dog and cat hair from carpet and other fabrics.
    If you have a dog with rather long hair (fits, you've seen Harvey:D ) they're pretty useles, as the long hair wraps around the brushes and you have to cut it out. so at home we hardly ever use the brush attachments.
    Every now and then I bring the "animal" down to the office to remove bits of Harvey that I've managed to drag along. I does a really good job of picking those hairs out of industrial carpet, but afterwards I have to spend 20 minutes cutting out the hair from the brushes.

Hadn't read Peasants post.
    Thats exactly what happened with mine!

Hmmm.... my brother works for Dyson, hence the hefty discount I'd be getting.
    I really couldnt afford to spend 500 euro on a miele right now, much as I'd like to...
    I may just have to give poor ol' Henry a clean-up and service... and see if that helps. The henry hoover is a good one and would do us fine if it werent for our 'heavy duty' tasks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 940 ✭✭✭Tabitharose

miele car & dog gets my vote too - still going strong 3 years on ;)

You know what does a great job on pet hair?

A rubber brush !!

...seriously ....

Ok, it involves manual labour ...but brushing your carpet (or any other surface) with a rubber brush picks up a lot of hair (guess the static electiricity of rubber against carpet has something to do with it)... subsequently it rolls it into disgusting, dirty fluffballs :D ...but those can easily be picked up or sucked into a hoover.

miele car & dog gets my vote too - still going strong 3 years on ;)

How much does one of them set you back?

peasant wrote:
    You know what does a great job on pet hair?
    A rubber brush !!
    ..seriously ....
    Ok, it involves manual labour ...but brushing your carpet (or any other surface) with a rubber brush picks up a lot of hair (guess the static electiricity of rubber against carpet has something to do with it)... subsequently it rolls it into disgusting, dirty fluffballs :D ...but those can easily be picked up or sucked into a hoover.

:D:D
    do you reckon a rubber curry comb would do? After all thats what they're designed for I guess:D I dont think I've ever seen a rubber brush.

Anyway.. the carpet will have to be changed when we move out, its beyond saving... the yard outside is muddy all winter so two years of muddy paws and feet going in and out have really killed it.

• Advertisement

Thats a rubber brush:

V7~Gummibesen~Seite~33.jpg

brilliant ...inside, outside, wet or dry.

Lidl does them occasionally

(psst ...it cleans the van really well too ...)

I have never in my life seen one of those before!

Will keep an eye out in lidl. Thanks:)

Nor have I!
    I have a "Cat Glove" which has little rubber spikes/protrusions on one side for grooming your cat and I've often used that on the cushion one of my cats love to sleep on and it works quite well.

Having used the Miele for a couple years, it's by far the best for catching cat hair, admittedly you have to clean out the brushes but it's easy with a little sharp scissors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭Lillyella

Mastercare in Killester sell an attachment that fits on any vacuum which is specially for dog hair. Its kindof got a velvety feel to it, and I can honstly say, its the only thing that works for us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,472 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I can see how the rubber brush might work. For upholstered furniture, a slightly dampened rubber glove rubbed over the material works wonders, so it's the same idea really.

Better idea still .. wood floors and leather furniture :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 203 ✭✭2funki4wheelz

Theres a 'JML' version of that rubber brush, its in hardwear shops and debenhams - I got mine there for a tenner, it has an extendable handle.
    You'll get the hair off the floor and lose weight :D , I find it tough work and have to get the angle right with the nap of the carpet

Alun wrote:
    I can see how the rubber brush might work. For upholstered furniture, a slightly dampened rubber glove rubbed over the material works wonders, so it's the same idea really.

Better idea still .. wood floors and leather furniture :)

Polished wood floors are actually pretty dangerous for dogs.. One of my dogs is very uncomfortable on them as he broke his leg and tore his ligaments and tendons in February... I don't know what the ideal floor is, it certainly aint carpet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 799 ✭✭✭Schlemm

We have the Miele dog and cat, it does a pretty good job!

I have a dog with a coat like your dog who sheds like mad...plus she has black and white hair so it's guarenteed to show up on something!! We usually get her clipped during the summer when the weather is good; she may look a bit silly but at least there's less hairs floating around the place!

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭random_banter

Just for reference, the Miele cat and dog hoover is 270 euro in Power City. Just looked it up on the site!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Beliky

Miele Cat & Dog Plus here too......still going strong after 7ish years :D

Advertisement