Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nike+

• 30-05-2007 11:38am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,577 ✭✭✭

Hey,

No specific running forum so I thought I'd ask it here. I'm going to do the Adidas Race Series this year and so want to buy the gear.

Now, I understand fully that the gear will not make me a fine athlete but I like the idea of the Nike+ system. I'm a huge fan of iPod and apple so I've no problem in that respect.

The question is has anybody who's a decent runner seen the Nike+ shoes and what do they think of them? Some of the ones in Champion on Grafton st were just pants imo, really hard sole with very little ventilation/support/cushioning.

Any opinion on running gear let me know,

Thanks,
    Colm

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭hunnymonster

For shorts, tee-shirts, socks, bra's and other stuff wear whatever is comfy, doesn't chaff and looks good. FOR RUNNERS GET YOURSELF PROPERLY FITTED!!! I can't overestimeate the importance of finding out the correct shoe for you. THe two places I know that can advise you are Darcy sports in Drumcondra and amphibian king in Bray. I can't comment on Darcy sports but Amphibian king are excellent. expect to pay over 100 quid for good runners. Nike are fashion shoes or at best short distance trainers. You'll get far better value for money on a proper (e.g. Asic, New Balance, Brooks, Mizuno) trainer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

you can buy a little device that clips on to your laces for about 25 if you dont want to buy the nike runners.

EDIT: maybe not, i'll get back to ya!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭onekeaneo

Agree totally with hunnymonster. Get yourself fitted for a pair. They will check how your foot strikes the ground and advise you which shoe to go for. If you are running long distances it’s really important to get a shoe that provides good support. I recommend Asics. They provide the best support for me. All the rest is just advertising….

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 ciarandarcy

Yeah I've seen the lace pouches for the Nike+ chip and they look great. I have actually ordered myself one from ebay! In terms of the Nike shoes, contrary to popular belief they actually have a few good running shoes (the majority are poor ones though, it must be said), but they have to be from the Bowerman Series. We got some of the Nike+ Equalon and for the right athlete they are a good technical trainer.

However I would not buy a Nike+ shoe simply for the chip insert above the midsole-in this case just buy the pouch online for €5 and attach it to your existing trainers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭Peckham

FOR RUNNERS GET YOURSELF PROPERLY FITTED!!!

Just to second, or third, this piece of advice. Having the right shoes makes a huge difference. Just because there is some latest pair of fancy trainers that the running magazines are hyping about, that cost 180 euro, it does not mean that they are the right ones for you. Going to a technical running store means you can get a better pair of shoes FOR YOU...and at a cheaper price.
    expect to pay over 100 quid for good runners.

...but not necessarily that much over 100 euro.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭damianmckeever

The Nike + system is a fantastic marketing tool and another great idea from the Apple think tank. Why Nike have put them in the + range is a mystery to me. Like Ciaran says the Bowerman range is their Technical running range and the Nike pegasus is a fantastic neutral shoe but it isn't compatible with the ipod.

Personally i'd get the correct runner then put your ipod sensor on that runner, that's what I did. I didn't even use the pouch all you need is to secure it under the laces, with paper or small plastic bag.

Advertisement