Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best overclocking MB: P5B DLX or P5N?

• 30-05-2007 11:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 517 ✭✭✭

I require a very fast PC for processing large photographic images (Photographer by trade), therfore I've no need for a gaming platform.

I'm planning on a Dual core 2.4 or 2.66 Intel with 4GB RAM and I want to overclock it with fan cooling (while keeping it stable). Some of my Adobe actions take 10 min to complete, so any time saved will save €€€ for me.

I torn between the P5B DLX and the cheaper P5N.

The P5B has some nice features, including bult-in wireless (which I will need), and it seems to have better cooling.

The P5N has the future covered with 1333 FSB, but no wireless.

Which MB would suite my overclocking and application needs ?

Thanks,
    Ray

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

The p5b has been known to hit 550mhz FSB. The p5n seems to have a wall at 409mhz fsb. But that still equated to 3.6ghz Thats with 9x409. but lower the multi down to 7, and you cna up the fsb to 509. which eill equate to 3.5ghz.

I would personally go for the p5b, as it seems to have much better cooling. and a better bundle as standard. And like you said you dont need it as a gaming pc, so why bother with the p5n which is a sli board.

• Registered Users Posts: 517 ✭✭✭trackerman

Thanks Anti, any recommendations on memory to go with that MB?

I'm understand that timings are not so critical with DDR2 so I have selected fairly cheap PC6400 - "OCZ Gold XTC DDR2 PC6400 2048MB KIT"

Can I expect good overclocking capability with this memory ?
    Or should I go faster, e.g. PC8500 ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

it should be more then enough for you.

Advertisement