Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

APAT this weekend - Who is playing

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,421 ✭✭✭Lazare

Well done Jacques. Nice result at the cash tables too! That quad A's hand is close to the sickest thing I've heard :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭Flushdraw

Lazare wrote:
    Well done Jacques. Nice result at the cash tables too! That quad A's hand is close to the sickest thing I've heard :eek:

Spill the beans Conor..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,421 ✭✭✭Lazare

Flushdraw wrote:
    Spill the beans Conor..

He posted about it on the previous page Tony, sick stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭Flushdraw

Lazare wrote:
    He posted about it on the previous page Tony, sick stuff.

Oh yeah i see it. I was halfway through that post and Firefox thought it would be a good time to crash and i forget to finish it. That was a sick hand and a sick run aswel. GG!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Jacques won? lol at standard! (:

Waked into his house last night for our monday night game, big ass trophy and medal on the table. Thought he was taking our league too seriously. :D
    Well done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 628 ✭✭✭jacQues

Ste05 wrote:
    Thanks Brendan, very well played by all. Yep I loved all his limp calling Pre-Flop then insta-folding the flop. LOL
    On the bubble (16 left) I was SB and David was BB. It was folded around to me and I look down on Kh Jh. I raise it up, hoping to take the BB, but with paint in case he calls. He did call, as usual. Flop comes Q X X no flush possible for me. I check, he checks. Turn A. I still have nothing but bet out to represent the A, since I really don't think he has anything at all. The bet was nicely sized but he calls. River is blank. I check, he bets 15k which is almost my entire stack. I fold, he shows T 6 (high card - T). I'm like, "M'kay". I was now shortest stacked on the table with just 4 BBs and probably shortest out of the 16 left. The other table was very active, maybe even wild. So someone there bubbles and I make the money short-stacked.

After the bubble I got dealt a lot of good hands in short succession and I doubled up a few times in a row. At this stage I had very reliable reads on most players at my table and knew how to get paid. At one stage I was trying to make it look I was stealing the blinds by going all-in. Doc Farrell wasn't happy with this as it was his BB (sorry mate). Some guy had a hand and I talked him into calling. When he did and I told him he had 20%. :D He looked at me and I showed QQ. He realised what really happened and showed 99. Since I had him covered and the board didn't bring him any help, he left very annoyed and frustrated. Doc Farrell folded his 55 face up and wasn't happy with me either. :o

After that I waited for the final table to happen. I didn't get good hands and the other table was still going wild. Sure enough it wasn't long before the final table and I went there with a decent stack. It must be said: only about a dozen boardies played and 4 of them made the final table! 4 boardies, 2 blondes and 3 other 'random' players. This may be seen as a outright success for boards.ie; no doubt.

At the final table I steadily build up my stack, becoming chip leader when 7 left. The main contributor was Brendan. Paul (UTG) raised it up. I knew that he had a good hand, a good pair or good ace. I put him on AK. It was folded around to Brendan (button) who pushed. I knew for certain that Brendan had a middle pair. I (BB) looked down on QQ. I had to make sure Paul folded as I didn't fancy going 3-way with QQ against AK + middle pair. So I looked at Paul, who was thinking about Brendan's all-in and said "all-in" in a way that could be taken as an echo-reply. He said "yeah" and I went "No no, all-in!" He said "yeah I know" and I said "No no, all-in!" again. Now he was really confused. I then continued to move my stacks over the line, one at a time. Paul looked at me, still confused; "Are you all-in too?" I replied "I said it three times." He insta-folded after that. Sometimes I'm a bad bad bastard. :D:D Anyhow Brendan showed 99 and I had him down to 3 BBs.

Then another clash with David happened. He was calling a lot of pre-flop raises. Too many, because he was leaking badly. He was also raising a lot. Too much, I was certain he did so with any pair, suited connectors, any ace and good kings. I choose my spot to take him on. He raised and I called. Flop comes (doesn't matter what), he checks and I bet it hard. He calls. Turn comes, he checks and I bet it even harder. He calls again. River comes; K. He checks and I bet again, almost certain that he was on a draw on the turn and will fold unless he hit. He calls and I know that I must be beaten. He shows AK. He didn't even have a draw on the turn, only two overcards. I was sick! That was a 400K pot and half my stack gone.

In the mean time.....Brendan went on a mad rush. From 3 BBs he doubled up time over time and then started denting peoples' stacks. He didn't stop there. He went on to knock people out. He knocked out one after another. When Brendan wasn't active either me or Paul took down the pots playing solidly. Brendan was flying and it wasn't long before he took out David in 4th. Paul and I were delighted in more than one way about this. :p

Once 3-way Paul went from solid play to very aggressive. But Brendan was still in an aggressive mood himself. I folded A8 suited on the button, knowing they would "get busy" with or without me. They did, preflop even, Brendan took Paul out and I was heads-up. After a bit of speech play by me and showing Brendan my hands to indicate that I wasn't going to bluff, he slowed down. The heads-up lasted over an hour and was very good. Most of the time I got solid reads of him and knew where I was. In the end I got lucky winning the coinflip.
    Ste05 wrote:
    Congrats to Jacques, I presume the cheque is in the post eh?? ;);) You get the trophy and package and I get the money, isn't that the deal we agreed on... :D
    I would have honoured that agreement. Just go allmost-all-in and fold to my re-raise and I'll give you the cheque. :cool: The money is just a bonus. The real winnings are the title and trophy that comes with it and a the free shot at an EPT event.

As for the cheque; it was given to me directly. When I realised that my donkey play Friday night in the cash game had me short-stacked cash wise and now didn't have a proper amount to tip, I went up to the poker desk. "Can I cash this cheque please?". They don't normally cash cheques I think, but since it was very reliable they did. Now I had tipping money and also some cash to re-invest in a cash game. I had to wait for the first bus to Galway and might as well do so while having some fun. I really hate pot limit. I think its stupid and for gamblers more than for players. It almost seems as if people only know two words: pot and fold. Seriously, there was a lot of straddling going on even though its not live. A typo on my previous post; I cashed out 1,535 when the poker room shut down for cleaning. But it wasn't skill. An example:

7-handed or so and no dead straddle (whoa!). A good few limpers and I'm in the BB. I look down on AA. Noooooo! Its freaking pot limit so my "pot" bet doesn't scare too many people. Flop comes K 8 4 dual-tone. I'm first to act and pot it, hoping there no K8 or K4 out. Some guy re-pots it. The next guy goes all-in and I'm like "I have to be behind!" But hey, I was up big time and if the board pairs I still win...right? Well, I re-pot it, making the total bet around 350 euro or so. The other guy calls another 200 euro which is him all-in and shows A Q off-suit. I am totally flabbergastered and triomphantly show my hand and say to the third guy "I'm happy with the sidepot, what you've got?" He shows 44. "Nice hand!" After the river I expected to win the sidepot but the dealer gives me both pots. I point this out but he informs me that the ace on the turn made me win the lot. Right lol. See, its not skill. Its just my day! :D

jacQues
    (hamster on-top)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 APAT

Well done to Jacques and all of the boards.ie players for putting on a great show. It is nice to see the trophy staying in Ireland.

The tournament report and pictures are all available via the APAT site.

www.apat.com

Cheers,

Des.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 683 ✭✭✭The Snapper

jacQues wrote:
    At the final table I steadily build up my stack, becoming chip leader when 7 left. The main contributor was Brendan. Paul (UTG) raised it up. I knew that he had a good hand, a good pair or good ace. I put him on AK. It was folded around to Brendan (button) who pushed. I knew for certain that Brendan had a middle pair. I (BB) looked down on QQ. I had to make sure Paul folded as I didn't fancy going 3-way with QQ against AK + middle pair. So I looked at Paul, who was thinking about Brendan's all-in and said "all-in" in a way that could be taken as an echo-reply. He said "yeah" and I went "No no, all-in!" He said "yeah I know" and I said "No no, all-in!" again. Now he was really confused. I then continued to move my stacks over the line, one at a time. Paul looked at me, still confused; "Are you all-in too?" I replied "I said it three times." He insta-folded after that. Sometimes I'm a bad bad bastard. :D:D Anyhow Brendan showed 99 and I had him down to 3 BBs.

In the mean time.....Brendan went on a mad rush. From 3 BBs he doubled up time over time and then started denting peoples' stacks. He didn't stop there. He went on to knock people out. He knocked out one after another. When Brendan wasn't active either me or Paul took down the pots playing solidly. Brendan was flying and it wasn't long before he took out David in 4th. Paul and I were delighted in more than one way about this. :p

Once 3-way Paul went from solid play to very aggressive. But Brendan was still in an aggressive mood himself. I folded A8 suited on the button, knowing they would "get busy" with or without me. They did, preflop even, Brendan took Paul out and I was heads-up. After a bit of speech play by me and showing Brendan my hands to indicate that I wasn't going to bluff, he slowed down. The heads-up lasted over an hour and was very good. Most of the time I got solid reads of him and knew where I was. In the end I got lucky winning the coinflip.

jacQues
    (hamster on-top)

Just to clarify, I am not the Brendan referred to in this post. That would be the blondepoker "Brendan" who finished second after surviving an all in clash with AJo v Ste05' AKo . Unfortunately the rush I had hoped for never came.:(

But again, well done Jacques. You are certainly an interesting dude to play with;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭Ste05

That would be the blondepoker "Brendan" who finished second after surviving an all in clash with AJo v Ste05' AKo .
    LOL, I remember that one, it was actually AKh I had and a 2 heart flop to boot :rolleyes: after that hand I still can't believe Jacques beat him HU, shows the true skillz of da man... :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭hotspur

Well done JacQues :)

• Advertisement

TY all for the great support. Much appreciated!!
    hotspur wrote:
    Well done JacQues :)
    It was a bit of a sacrifice though. It was in the same weekend as the Galway & Sligo MTG NQs. :( Ah well, I'll probably try to grind in...yet again. LOL But in the end it was certainly worth it. :)

jacQues
    (:) hamster)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,403 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Great result and a good report. Which EPT event will you be playing? Do you get a choice?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Anyone you want is season four yeah?
    Who won last night?

Anyone you want is season four yeah?
    Almost correct. Anyone but Monte Carlo for season four. And since the schedule isn't in yet I cannot choose yet. It will depend on where a friend of mine is going to play.
    Who won last night?
    Flopping a flush and him flopping a set seemed okay until he made a poker on the river. But even so I fought back and in the end it was hamster on top again. :)

jacQues
    (lucky hamster)

Advertisement