Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laptop for Games

Options
  • 30-05-2007 11:51am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭

I have to buy a laptop for a fourteen year old who wants it for games and study - LOL ..

Anyway, I favour a Dell because that it what I have always used for PCs - what should I be looking for as regards specifications - say with a budget of up to 1000 euro ... Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

You won't be playing any recent games on a 1000 euro laptop I'm afraid to say. Most laptops are rubbish for games because they usually have weedy graphics cards (lower power consumption, cheaper, etc), so you normally end up spending over the odds on a "gaming laptop" if you want to be able to play modern games on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭TOm Kelly

Thanks Stephen - OK lets take this from the other angle ... what do I need to get i.e. graphic cards / memory etc to be able to play the most recent games .. and approx cost as a minimum. Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭cedomination

TOm Kelly wrote:
    Thanks Stephen - OK lets take this from the other angle ... what do I need to get i.e. graphic cards / memory etc to be able to play the most recent games .. and approx cost as a minimum. Thanks again.

If he wants it for games I would suggest a desktop instead as they are cheaper and easier to upgrade.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭MjM

What about this:
    http://www.laptopsdirect.ie/Asus_F3Jp_Laptop_F3JP-AP104C/version-1.asp

Asus F3Jp

€1016.29

Its a good spec and its not too big. And you won't get a laptop as good (fast) in games from Dell for that price.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

Excellent find MjM, haven't seen anything better for the money.

The ATI Radeon X1700 card makes this laptop more powerful than a lot of desktops (at least mine!) :)

• Advertisement

Yeah it is good, if I didn't already have a notebook, ironically a Dell! I'd probably get the Asus.

Also theres this lovely looking Samsung:

http://www.laptopsdirect.ie/Samsung_R70_Santa_Rosa_Laptop_NP-R70A003-SUK/version-1.asp

Its graphics card is a DirectX 10 8400m but it probably isn't as fast in games as the x1700.

Maybe if someone can find a benchmark?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

MjM wrote:
    What about this:
    http://www.laptopsdirect.ie/Asus_F3Jp_Laptop_F3JP-AP104C/version-1.asp

Asus F3Jp

€1016.29

Its a good spec and its not too big. And you won't get a laptop as good (fast) in games from Dell for that price.

Very, very nice laptop for the price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭DemonOfTheFall

MjM wrote:
    Its graphics card is a DirectX 10 8400m but it probably isn't as fast in games as the x1700.

Maybe if someone can find a benchmark?

It almost certainly won't be. The 8600 only matches the 7600, the X1700 should match or beat the 7600, and the 8400 will be lower than all of them.

Thats what I thought alright, so for a cheap gaming laptop with some study tacked on the Asus would be very good value.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭TOm Kelly

Thanks for that info - will check that out.

• Advertisement
Advertisement