Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good Chiropractor in Limerick?

Options
  • 30-05-2007 12:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭

Anyone know of a good quality chiropractor in Limerick?

Thanks...

Alan.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭jbkenn

Yes, I can highly recommend

Dr. Catherine Curtin,
    Limerick Chiropractic Clinic
    Moyrhee, Phares Road, Meelick, Limerick, 061 327716.

jbkenn

• Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭AlanD

Where exactly is Phares Road.....in relation to other streets I may know...

thanks...

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭jbkenn

Sorry, Phares Road, is opposite the Two Mile Inn on the Ennis dual carriageway, you drive past the Two Mile Inn and turn at the SAS Raddisson, take the left turn before Shiels garage, it's about 800 metres down on the right hand side

jbkenn

Thanks for that. In the end I went to see yer man over by the Crescent shopping centre. Edward Sollsomething. American guy.

Never been before and found it very strange. I expected bones cracking and lots of rough manipulation. Instead I got arm lifting and manipulation that I couldn't even feel. I know it's cos I don't understand it, but how does pointing your finger at an area for 1 min and then jerking your arm supposed to fix things?

I don't get it. Does it work?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

Phayers Road, like the rest of Meelick is in Co Clare, not Limerick.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭beldin

Yeah I went to the American guy Sordillo. Nice enough if you want to go to a chiropractor. 2 problems I had were
    1/ It seems to be that they they assume you will need adjustments for life. You are never cured , just the time between adjustments gets longer. Visits are twice weekly then weekly then fortnightly etc.
    2/ I had to bring my 3 year old boy with me and the receptionist (Sordillos wife ) asked me did I want him to be examined as well. I mean 3 years old. Who could allow a 3 year old to be adjusted..

Adjusted means manipulating the spine with the cracking and the twisting etc...

beldin wrote:
    Yeah I went to the American guy Sordillo. Nice enough if you want to go to a chiropractor. 2 problems I had were
    1/ It seems to be that they they assume you will need adjustments for life. You are never cured , just the time between adjustments gets longer. Visits are twice weekly then weekly then fortnightly etc.
    2/ I had to bring my 3 year old boy with me and the receptionist (Sordillos wife ) asked me did I want him to be examined as well. I mean 3 years old. Who could allow a 3 year old to be adjusted..

Adjusted means manipulating the spine with the cracking and the twisting etc...

I wised up to the whole concept of you need adjustments for your whole life based on the propaganda on his wall, so I was prepared when they suggested it. All I wanted was adjustments for a specific problem and in fairness they took it on board and didn't try to shove any more propaganda on me.

My problem was with his adjustments. No spine manipulation and no cracking or twisting. He said he doesn't do it cos it's not good for him cos he'd be tired every day (by the looks of it he could do with losing a few pounds!) but his way of adjusting was just finger pointing. Ridiculous if you ask me. Seems like a money racket.

All I wanted was back cracking, rough adjustments.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭yaledo

I have no experience of the particular chiropractor in question, and though it may seem like a money racket to you, I would give the guy the benefit of the doubt - he is probably formally trained and offers what he believes is a legitimate service... You can be sure that he has lots of happy customers too, who would attest to the efficacy of his treatment.

Without reference to any particular chiropractor, but in answer to your more general question:
    AlanD wrote:
    but how does pointing your finger at an area for 1 min and then jerking your arm supposed to fix things?
    see http://en.wikipedia.org/placebo
    I don't get it. Does it work?
    Yes, it can be extremely effective and helpful in relief of a wide variety of symptoms, but beware - by gaining a greater understanding of it, you may decrease your own suggestibility, and thereby reduce the effectiveness of this type of treatment.

[edited to make it clear that I have no reason to criticise Mr Sordillo]

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭N8

beldin wrote:
    2 problems I had were
    1/ It seems to be that they they assume you will need adjustments for life....

It’s a lifestyle decision with consequences for later life pretty much like the decision to see a dentist regularly or go when you are in pain….

“Indeed the multiple functions the spine is called upon to fulfil, not least of which includes holding good posture against gravity, the accidents to which it is prone (major and minor), occupational strains, malnutrition, the biochemical changes accompanying the aging process, and the fact that little or no care is taken of the spine until either serious pain or dysfunction is encountered is a huge problem neglected by society today and costing millions in industry never mind disability payments and inability to interact in the normal activities required of daily living.”

Also has other health benefits past preventative care…

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/medicalnews.php?newsid=20809

beldin wrote:
    I had to bring my 3 year old boy with me and the receptionist asked me did I want him to be examined as well. I mean 3 years old. Who could allow a 3 year old to be adjusted...

I do and regularly too - in fact all my children get checked weekly. I would recommend it.
    Radiologists recommend correct posture and backpack safety following study revealing kids suffer from disc degeneration

A new British study has found that almost one child in 10 show signs of back problems before puberty. These findings were presented by Dr. Francis Smith at the Annual Meeting of the Radiological Society of North America held December 3, 2003 in Chicago, Illinois. Dr. Smith is a consultant radiologist and sports medicine physician at Woodland Hospital, Aberdeen, Scotland.
    For this study, Smith and his colleagues looked at MRI scans of 154 10-years-olds. None of the children had ever had any problems with their back or reported any back pain. Yet, 14 had signs of intervertebral disc degeneration on their MRI scans.

Dr. Williams Sanders, a neuroradiologist with William Beaumont Hospital in Royal Oak, Mich., said that without a significant history of trauma, or repeated history of trauma, one wouldn’t expect to see disc degeneration in that high a percentage of children. He did point out that disc degeneration isn’t always easy to determine from MRI scans and, though there may be another explanation, he felt that it was likely disc degeneration.

What is interesting is that both Smith and Sanders recommend preventative measures for a healthy back, including correct posture and avoidance of heavy backpacks.

also
    http://www.icpa4kids.org/

Advertisement