Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to officially complain about a student?

Options
  • 30-05-2007 12:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭

Hey I was just wondering how would one complain to the college about a students behaviour.

One of my friends takes care of a house and one of the tenants is a student in UL. Over the weekend he got very very drunk, stole a car and drove it into the front of the house doing a nice bit of damage.

Who would he contact about this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭Irish Wolf

Vegeta wrote:
    Hey I was just wondering how would one complain to the college about a students behaviour.

One of my friends takes care of a house and one of the tenants is a student in UL. Over the weekend he got very very drunk, stole a car and drove it into the front of the house doing a nice bit of damage.

Who would he contact about this?

Just curious why you want to get the University involved in this? I'm sure if you get in contact with the Student Services in UL they could provide you with some information about complaining about a student - but it sounds to me like it's more of a matter for the Gardaí...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Mossin

How about the Gardai for a start...Thats outrageous behaviour.
    Secondly, contact the Students Union in the University.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Kudos

I'm sorry but, lmao. He drove a car into the house? That's the worst I've heard of around here.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Well I wont be making the complaint as it is not my house but that fact aside I doubt the University wants to be connected with a drunk driving, joy riding, property damaging student.

Kudos wrote:
    I'm sorry but, lmao. He drove a car into the house? That's the worst I've heard of around here.

yeah if I didn't know the guy who owns the house it would be pretty funny, one to tell the kids.

Ah this guy is bad news in general

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

while this is a serious issue i think it has absolutely none of the colleges business as it it not on their grounds and he was not acting or working for them in anyway.

i understand the owner of the house wanting to "get back at" the guy but i cant see the college caring at all really and the gardai would be a much better way to go

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

Gardai.

They wont get him for drunk driving, as they require proof, however he can be done for the damages. Even if his insurance pays.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

Jumpy wrote:
    Gardai.

They wont get him for drunk driving, as they require proof, however he can be done for the damages. Even if his insurance pays.

it would be the house insurace that would cover it as the car was stolen. also having worked in insurance the chances of the gardai actually going after this guy to get the money are slim but i hope they do

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭pauln

Not sure who they need to get in contact with but the college do take an interest in incidents involving UL students outside the college grounds.
    Under the code of conduct that everyone signs the college has powers over students even if they do things outside of the college grounds.
    I know of someone who was in front of the disciplinary committee last summer when their landlord complained over damages to the house they were staying in which was in one of the estates off campus.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭cooperguy

Thats crazy behaviour and a matter for the gardai. How you think it has anything got to do with UL ill never know. If he worked in Tesco (for example) instead of going to college would you report him to Tesco??

Unless it happens on UL property it has nothing to do with them. But definatly report it to the Gardai.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭rmacm

cooperguy wrote:
    Unless it happens on UL property it has nothing to do with them.

Definitly report it to the Gardai but as pauln mentioned you can be hauled in front of the disciplinary committee for incidents that take place off campus. I don't know of any cases where it has happened off the top of my head but there is something in the code which states something to this effect.

And to answer Vegetas question. Go to the Students Union and Student Services in the college they'll be able to point you in the right direction.

Cheers
    Rory

PeakOutput wrote:
    while this is a serious issue i think it has absolutely none of the colleges business as it it not on their grounds and he was not acting or working for them in anyway.

i understand the owner of the house wanting to "get back at" the guy but i cant see the college caring at all really and the gardai would be a much better way to go

He has contacted the Gardai.

pauln is spot on one of the guys in my course who I knew pretty well was out one night, he ended up in a night club trying to stop a bouncer choking his brother (who had bad asthma) got the sh1t kicked out of him by the bouncers and was brought in front of the disiplinary committe and nearly expelled/suspended from the college over it. Now this guy was innocent and this came out at the committee meeting but still it shows the kind of thing which can get you in trouble with the college.

So anyone who says its none of the colleges business and that the college don't care, it is their business and they do care. They hardly want scum like this guy dragging down the image of students who go to UL.

Thanks for the info folks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭cooperguy

Vegeta wrote:
    So anyone who says its none of the colleges business and that the college don't care, it is their business and they do care. They hardly want scum like this guy dragging down the image of students who go to UL.

Well just because the college try and make it their business by putting a clause in a contract doesnt mean it should be their business. If it doesnt involve college property or the student wasnt representing the college in some way at the time then in my opinion it the business of the Gardai and should not involve the college.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

ul could do without these people. report him to the cops AND ul. the cops will probably do that anyway.

Advertisement