Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Commuting MTB - Need strong tyres!

Options
  • 30-05-2007 12:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭

Right, my big problem with my commute is the bloody glass.

I got some nice street tyres from wiggle (Tioga Factory FS100), but they can't handle the glass. One of these tyres on the rear was rendered unusable after the second puncture, and the front one is constantly getting little bits of glass stuck it into it. Only one puncture so far though on the front. I put the stock knobbly on the rear and haven't had any trouble since - the street tyres *seem* to be made of a softer rubber compound or something.

But the knobbly on the rear makes me work that bit harder :(.

Any suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Specialized Armadillos

• Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Morgan

or
    Schwalbe City Jet
    or
    Continental Sport Contact

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Cheers guys. Not cheap, but I guess it's worth it :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Tonic07

Yeah I have schwalbe city jet on my mtb. No problems thus far.
    €15 each in cyclesuperstore Tallaght

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

You can get tyre liners.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=7970

VERY tough. some dont like them, though I think their experience is on racers. When the tyres wear out these are reusable too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭Membrane

Typically tyres with silica in them provide a better grip, but the running surface is softer which can result in bits of glass getting stuck in them. That is the case with my Continental City Contacts (same as the Sport Contact, just different thread). Due to the Kevlar belt I haven't had any punctures yet, but I do on occasions inspect them and fish out the bits of glass from the tyres.

Advertisement