Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who pays??

Options
  • 30-05-2007 12:47pm
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Folks, I'm after moving down the country and I'm renting a house.
    The landlord is sound but I don't want to be hassling him with everything at once.

Basically I got the house through a letting agency and the agent is now asking us for the money to pay the PRTB for the tenancy registration.

Is this correct or am I right in saying that the landlord pays it??

I am assuming the agent is acting the maggot with me because the house wasn't cleaned(We are the first letting of this house so the house was like a building site) before we moved in(Agent told us that it would be), the agent didn't meet us at the house when we were moving in to sign the lease etc and when we rang about the heating/tumble dryer not working (He says he has a 24 hour emergancy call out) he got the landlord to drop into the house to sort it and wouldn't return any of my calls!! So basically he got paid for just showing us the house and that is it which I think is a load of my ar$e!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

I see no reason for you to pay a PRTB registration ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

As far as I know, it's the landlord's responsibility to register with the PRTB.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

As far as I know, it's the landlord's responsibility to register with the PRTB.

Yes it is the landlords responsibility by law to register but with the added thing of it being a letting agent involved it seems to me that the letting agent is just looking for the money off us to bolster his own earnings!!

As I said I have had a number of problems with this agent that makes me believe he is as dodgy as they come!!

Should I just ask the landlord if he has paid the letting company the money for the registration, also the letting agent will not give the PPS number of the landlord so I can claim my tax credits for renting and he is using the line of "The landlords PPS number is confidential", now I work in Revenue so if I wanted to I could get it with no trouble at all and the agent knows this!!

• Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭robd

jonny24ie wrote:
    Yes it is the landlords responsibility by law to register but with the added thing of it being a letting agent involved it seems to me that the letting agent is just looking for the money off us to bolster his own earnings!!

As I said I have had a number of problems with this agent that makes me believe he is as dodgy as they come!!

Should I just ask the landlord if he has paid the letting company the money for the registration, also the letting agent will not give the PPS number of the landlord so I can claim my tax credits for renting and he is using the line of "The landlords PPS number is confidential", now I work in Revenue so if I wanted to I could get it with no trouble at all and the agent knows this!!

Both your's and the Landlord's PPS number have to, by law, be written in the Lease Agreement. The Landlord or his Agent has to register (and pay) with the PRTB, by law. Be firm and direct with this agent as he does seem dodgy.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

robd wrote:
    Both your's and the Landlord's PPS number have to, by law, be written in the Lease Agreement. The Landlord or his Agent has to register (and pay) with the PRTB, by law. Be firm and direct with this agent as he does seem dodgy.

Well the lease has no mention of the landlord at all.
    It doesn't even include both of us on the lease or our PPS number or nothing!! It also has the wrong address on it aswell which I think means my lease is invalid!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭robd

jonny24ie wrote:
    Well the lease has no mention of the landlord at all.
    It doesn't even include both of us on the lease or our PPS number or nothing!! It also has the wrong address on it aswell which I think means my lease is invalid!!

It sounds invalid. An exit strategy mightn't be a bad plan.

robd wrote:
    It sounds invalid. An exit strategy mightn't be a bad plan.

As in just move out and tell them the lease is invalid??

• Registered Users Posts: 9,787 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

jonny24ie wrote:
    now I work in Revenue so if I wanted to I could get it with no trouble at all and the agent knows this!!

I wouldn't do that if I wanted to stay working at the revenue commissioners (I know you wouldn't!) You don't actually need the pps number, just leave it blank.

Why don't you just leave the agent out of it, and deal directly with the landlord? For sure, don't move out simply because the agent is crap and can't write a lease.

robd wrote:

Are you sure this is true? Can you quote chapter and verse on this?

I do not think this is true. The tenant is under no obligation to give his or her PPS to anybody except in accordance with statute.

I wouldn't do that if I wanted to stay working at the revenue commissioners (I know you wouldn't!) You don't actually need the pps number, just leave it blank.

Why don't you just leave the agent out of it, and deal directly with the landlord?

I wouldn't check it in work at all now to be honest, all I need is the landlords address and I can sort it out but having his PPS number would have made it quicker for me being revenue staff things take alot longer than normal!!

I am dealing with the landlord only now but its a joke that he has to have paid a fee to the agent and they have done nothing what so ever for him bar show me the house!!

Also the house I am in now supposedly only came onto the market about 3 weeks ago after we place a deposit on another house that the landlord decided not to let out anymore!! Yet when I was looking at houses on the letting agents website 2 months ago my current house was advertised on it and when I asked for a viewing they told me it was long rented out!!

• Advertisement

The agent may just be doing the letting - he doesn't necessarily have anything to do with things once you are in. It depends on the landlord's arrangement with him.

Yes, he's effectively getting the money for marketing and showing the house. Terrible isn't it?

The agent may just be doing the letting - he doesn't necessarily have anything to do with things once you are in. It depends on the landlord's arrangement with him.

Yes, he's effectively getting the money for marketing and showing the house. Terrible isn't it?

Well he said he has to call around every three months to make sure the house is still standing etc, then he is suppose to collect the rent off us but never said anything to us about it!!
    There is a tonne of jargon in the lease about how the letting agencie will sort out all problems we have with the house and what not!!
    TBH its a total joke and word around says that the chap in question is a Bertie type character!! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭Agent J

Simple ask the estate agent what they expect you do with respect to filling in a rent one form from the revenue. They ask for the landlords PPSN on that i think.

Also hes been cheeky asking the registration cost from you. Does it say itin the least that you are liable for it?

Agent J wrote:
    Simple ask the estate agent what they expect you do with respect to filling in a rent one form from the revenue. They ask for the landlords PPSN on that i think.

Also hes been cheeky asking the registration cost from you. Does it say itin the least that you are liable for it?

He wants us to provide him with our PPS numbers etc so he can take care of the "Paperwork" to the PRTB and when I asked about claiming the tax credit he said that we can't until our years lease is up and the PRTB would do that automatically for us!!

It doesn't say anywhere on the lease that we are liable for it!!
    He said that myself and my G/F pay €35 each towards the PRTBand that means ourselves and the landlord are splitting the cost 50/50 but I know as fact registration is only €70 in total not €140!!

Thats Bull.

You can claim tax relieft as soon as you pay it and the PTRB have nothing to do with it.

You need to fill in a rent one from from revenue....

http://www.revenue.ie/forms/rent1.pdf

It speficalls says that the landlord must give the PPSN.

Print it out and shove it in their face and see what they so...

Seriously i smell a rat with this one....

From the website

"This is necessary as the registration application must be made within one month of the commencement of the tenancy and, if later, the landlord will have to pay a double fee (currently €140)."

That might explain them wanting 140....

Also if they claim that the PPSN is "confidential information" then yours can also be considered "confidental" information.

Agent J wrote:
    Thats Bull.

You can claim tax relieft as soon as you pay it.

Seriously i smell a rat with this one....

From the website

"This is necessary as the registration application must be made within one month of the commencement of the tenancy and, if later, the landlord will have to pay a double fee (currently €140)."

That might explain them wanting 140....

Also if they claim that the PPSN is "confidential information" then yours can also be considered "confidental" information.

I know!! Sure from the day we moved in I knew there was something dodgy about this chap!!
    He claimed he was giving us a van for free to move everything in and when the g/f went to sign the lease and get the key she was asked for nearly €200 for the van!!!
    I know its all bull, so I might ring the landlord to pop in for a cuppa and have a chat with him and see what he thinks of the whole thing!!
    I didn't want to ring the landlord in case the 2 of them are friends and something was said back and cause trouble for me!!

I edited my post above because i forgot to put in a link.

check out the rent one and print it out and shove it in his face...

I would sound out the landlord gently if I were you. Like you say, he could be a friend. Although I would tell him about the prtb fee, and the bill for the van which you weren't expecting.

You don't have to give him your ppsn.

I would tell the landlord you want to arrange to pay the rent directly into his account.

I would sound out the landlord gently if I were you. Like you say, he could be a friend. Although I would tell him about the prtb fee, and the bill for the van which you weren't expecting.

You don't have to give him your ppsn.

I would tell the landlord you want to arrange to pay the rent directly into his account.

Yeah, well I don't mind paying for the van but to say that "its part of the service we provide" and when I ask about a fee he said its grand and I asked on 3 different occassions for a price to which I didn't get one!! I am still waiting for the breakdown and invoice from him for the van which he promised to have dropped into me last week!!

I won't be giving out my PPSN at all to him!!

The landlord wants to call to the house and collect it by cheque/cash every month from what I have been informed!! Which I don't mind because then I know he is getting his money!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭black & white

jonny24ie wrote:
    Folks, I'm after moving down the country and I'm renting a house.
    The landlord is sound but I don't want to be hassling him with everything at once.

Basically I got the house through a letting agency and the agent is now asking us for the money to pay the PRTB for the tenancy registration.

Is this correct or am I right in saying that the landlord pays it??

I am assuming the agent is acting the maggot with me because the house wasn't cleaned(We are the first letting of this house so the house was like a building site) before we moved in(Agent told us that it would be), the agent didn't meet us at the house when we were moving in to sign the lease etc and when we rang about the heating/tumble dryer not working (He says he has a 24 hour emergancy call out) he got the landlord to drop into the house to sort it and wouldn't return any of my calls!! So basically he got paid for just showing us the house and that is it which I think is a load of my ar$e!!

I own a couple of properties that I rent out and I am obliged to pay the 70 Euro to the PRTB on each one, I can claim it back on tax so it's no issue to me. I also give my tenants my PPS number so they can claim tax relief.

I would bet that in your case the landlord is not declaring the income to the taxman. If I were you, I'd give the tax office a buzz and let them know what's going on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

jonny24ie wrote:
    Yeah, well I don't mind paying for the van but to say that "its part of the service we provide" and when I ask about a fee he said its grand and I asked on 3 different occassions for a price to which I didn't get one!! I am still waiting for the breakdown and invoice from him for the van which he promised to have dropped into me last week!!

I won't be giving out my PPSN at all to him!!

The landlord wants to call to the house and collect it by cheque/cash every month from what I have been informed!! Which I don't mind because then I know he is getting his money!!

Pay with a cheque every time and cross it also!

Advertisement