Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cash from credit card..for free?

Options
  • 30-05-2007 1:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭

Hi

over a week ago i had to get a cash advance from my credit card. So i went into the bank with credit card and id the whole lot and asked the cashier for 1000euro in cash from my credit card.. he didn't seem to know how to do it and kept asking the cashier beside him how to do it.. she was less then helpful to him.. anyways he got me the cash and counted it out to me even though he didn't instill confidence in me about it been done right etc...

anyways logged onto my credit card acoutn and there is was 1000 awaiting authorisation.. i know it takes transaction a few days to go through and appear as unauthorised transactions before it goes fully through.. so i waited and waited.. and other transactions i did went through but the 1000 stay unauthorised.. and then two days ago it disappeared off my account.. i know if after 7 days if a transactions arent authorised they dropped off...

but just wondering has this happened to anyone..

basically it seemed the bank gave me the money but never processed it properly and i never got charged 1000 to my credit card account...

am i that lucky? or will they catch up with me .. should i cancel my credit card..?

regards

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

It will finally catch up on you.

Be aware that with a cash advance on a credit card you pay interest from day one, so with each passing day you owe more back.

Contact the bank.

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭arrianalexander

i know pay interest from day one but dont have money to pay it off now anyways so it doesn't matter if it appears now or in a weeks time..or whenever

• Registered Users Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭Vikings

Banks go crazy if they balance up and are missing €50 either above or below what it should be, when - its not a case of if - they realise what has happened it wont be long before you get a call from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭arrianalexander

but i am getting a new card in few days and plan to transfer balance and cancel my card...and the bank would be asking my credit card company for the money not me directly , i have no dealings with this bank directly as i have no acccount with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭Vikings

The funds still can and will be traced back to you, and by continuing the way you are going, by the time it does catch back up on you it will be harder to explain and sort out.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

It's weird really you haven't heard from them already, as one of theother posters said if a bank is a few euro short at cash out everyone is kept behind until the error is found (I spent many a Friday night at PTSB when I worked there and someone had keyed a cheque wrong) so there is the possibility that he somehow took money from the wrong card/account number in which case the real cardholder will be the one to red flag the error OR they don't know who you are and he didn't keep a record of your card number in which case they are probably making efforts to find you somehow.

It will catch up with you eventually...even if you close your card account.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

i have no dealings with this bank directly as i have no acccount with them.

It doesn't matter if you move to a new card provider and close your account with your current one - you will still be liable for expenses incurred before the account closure and they'll have every right to chase you for it. I doubt they'll ask for it from your new card provider..most likely you'll end up getting a letter directly.

Advertisement