Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving a Renting property

Options
  • 30-05-2007 1:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭

Now i'm pretty sure of my course of action anyway but im just putting this up for thoughts and ideas.

Currently renting a house which we were on a year lease but handed in notice about a month ago because the landlord hadnt made the repairs we were promised.

When he did show up to do some of them he gave out about the fact we had switched the curtain nets in one room with another. Just to give you an idea of the type of person we were dealing with.

Anyway as soon as i heard i handed in notice to the agency immediatly. They cannot hold me to the lease as far as i see it as they have been in breach of it from day one also they have not registered us with the PTRB.

We plan to leave on the 9th. I have no problem paying rent and such up to that date but im begining to think we may get stung with our deposit. The estate agent tells me that if the place is ok we will get it back but im not so sure.

Wait and pay remainder rent when leaving or continue to play it by the book and pay beforehand?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,102 ✭✭✭mathie

Play ti by the book and if you don't get the deposit back say you're calling the PTRB or the Gardai. See how they react. They'll most likely give you the deposit in full.

In theory you should forfit the deposit but seeing as they're not with the PTRB then theory goes out the window!

:)
    M

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭Agent J

In theory i should but i would take them to small claims court and fight them every step of the way for it back on a point of princpal.

We were told various issues with the house would be sorted when we moved in. They werent and it took them almost 3 months to get one of them done ( The main bathroom window could not be closed and another window could not be opened)never mind the rest.... They cant hold me to a lease they are in breach of.

Im planning to play it by the book for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭robd

mathie wrote:
    Play ti by the book and if you don't get the deposit back say you're calling the PTRB or the Gardai. See how they react. They'll most likely give you the deposit in full.

In theory you should forfit the deposit but seeing as they're not with the PTRB then theory goes out the window!
    M

Even if you move out before the end of a lease you don't necessarily forfeit the whole deposit. You're liable for the costs (or loss of income in the mean time) of re-renting the place (eg. Letting Fees, Advertising).

There is also a loop-hole that you can offer to sub-let the place and if the landlord refuses you can move out without penalty.

As already pointed out, in this case the Landlord can't appeal/complain as he is not registered with PRTB. If he withholds the deposit you can lodge an appeal/complaint with the PRTB who will in all likely hood rule in your favour due to his non compliance and not repairing items as required.

Advertisement