Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insulation

Options
  • 30-05-2007 1:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,989 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    Does anybody have some good info. on the insulation on the various types of homes in Dublin?
    I am thinking of buying a second hand one, what type of things are my to look out for? Also how easy / hard is it to upgrade houses insulation?
    Rgds
    Tim

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Hi,
    Does anybody have some good info. on the insulation on the various types of homes in Dublin?
    I am thinking of buying a second hand one, what type of things are my to look out for? Also how easy / hard is it to upgrade houses insulation?
    Rgds
    Tim

Probably more of a DIY question.

Not sure about checking homes.

It is possible to retro fit houses with insulation. Its been done in my parents house and grandparents house.

All was done was battons were placed at 1 m centeres. Insulation was placed between them and covered over with plaster board. Easy enough job to do

• Registered Users Posts: 78,399 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I suspect its going to be quite hard to discover what insulation a particualr house has. Although specific generations of house will have different standards, with newest houses being best.

Vendors will be slow to allow you hack off plaster / blockwork.

Will I send this to Construction & Self Building & Architecture & Planning.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Victor wrote:
    I suspect its going to be quite hard to discover what insulation a particualr house has. Although specific generations of house will have different standards, with newest houses being best.

Vendors will be slow to allow you hack off plaster / blockwork.

Will I send this to Construction & Self Building & Architecture & Planning.

I cant think of what its called but there was an instrument that can measure the density of a wall. Not the schmidt hammer but similar. The better the density the better the insulation I think is how it worked. Could have something to do with sounds waves.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,399 ✭✭✭✭Victor

kearnsr wrote:
    I cant think of what its called but there was an instrument that can measure the density of a wall. Not the schmidt hammer but similar. The better the density the better the insulation I think is how it worked. Could have something to do with sounds waves.
    It depends on what type of insulation you want.

You could have a steel wall with a density of 7,850kg/m3 losing a lot more heat than a concrete wall of 2,500kg/m3.

Advertisement