Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Are parking violation stickers illegal?

Options
  • 30-05-2007 2:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭

I mean the ones that are put on the windscreen of a car and can't be taken off easily? i.e. hot bucket of soapy water and cloth required.

Security where i work use these things when people aren't in a proper parking space - they are these half A4 size labels done in a laser printer and are complete ba$tards to get off the windscreen.

A secretary came back from lunch very upset as she had a near miss with another car and says that the sticker was in her field of view. If you're rushing off to pickup children at lunchtime it's not easy to go looking for a hot bucket of soapy water and a J-cloth!

So anyone know if these stickers are allowed? I mean if they were put on the bodywork of the car surely it would be vandalism so what makes the windscreen any different?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 377 ✭✭( . )( . )

i pondered this too. they'd have to be illegal???

i seen a car with one the other day, right on the windscreen, i was shocked... :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

disregarding the legal status, would anyone seriously drive a car if something blocked their view?

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭I.S.T.

I'm not sure if they're illegal but I reckon if you were in an accident because they blocked your view the company could be liable. A lof of places will put them on the rear passenger door which is a better idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭I.S.T.

Cremo wrote:
    disregarding the legal status, would anyone seriously drive a car if something blocked their view?
    Yeah they would, ever see the idiots driving with all their windows frosted up in winter?!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭saobh_ie

I can't remember where but once I saw a car with a number of these stickers on every window and the windscreen. For sure he shouldn't have parked them but by putting stickers on the windows they've immobilised it.

Cars have more than enough blind spots already and putting more obstructive materials on the windows makes it unsafe to operate them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭fletch

AFAIK they can only place the sticker on the rear drivers side window. I seem to recall hearing about an individual taking a company to court for placing the sticker on a window which obstructed their view. (Anybody else remember hearing this/have a link?)

• Registered Users Posts: 45,736 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Cremo wrote:
    if the sticker is for a parking violation, if they do not move the car (and it may not be within range of hot soapy water!) then there problem is being compunded.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

IIRC, they can put them on a side window but not on the windscreen, front or back, as it obscures the drivers vision.

I once made a clampers spotter (guy on a moped who used to go around putting stickers on cars so that the van guys could spot them easier) remove one he had put on my car; he tried to run away, but a van "accidentally" blocked his moped in where he had (illegally!) parked it. Curiously, my car was legally parked when he stickied it...

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

I'm not sure if they're illegal but I reckon if you were in an accident because they blocked your view the company could be liable.
    I'd be surprised if that were the case. The responsibility is on the driver of the car to ensure that their vision is unobstructed. In fact, i'd imagine that anyone involved in an accident while driving with a sticker blocking their view could fairly be charged with dangerous, or at least careless, driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭DukeDredd

Anan1 wrote:
    I'd be surprised if that were the case. The responsibility is on the driver of the car to ensure that their vision is unobstructed. In fact, i'd imagine that anyone involved in an accident while driving with a sticker blocking their view could fairly be charged with dangerous, or at least careless, driving.

Yes but is it not the people who put the sticker there that would be at fault?

The whole idea of these ones is that they are really difficult to remove which i take objection to - i don't think anyone would complain if they were a type that could be peeled off reasonably easily.

It's hardly the car owners fault that someone has placed something in their field of view that they can't remove!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Where I work they put the stickers on the small rear quarter window on the drivers' side, assuming the car in question has one. If not they place it low on one of the rear side windows.

I'd hazard a guess that most employers in places where security does this kind of thing have small print somewhere stating that by parking on their premises you are allowing them to sticker you if you park somewhere you're not supposed to.

Edit: Also, if it was easy to peel the stickers off they wouldn't be much of a deterrent would they?

Stephen wrote:
    Edit: Also, if it was easy to peel the stickers off they wouldn't be much of a deterrent would they?

Yes but on the sticker it says "Parking Violation...blah blah blah..." so message received - surely it's outside their remit to also punish the offenders?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

If it was obstructing your view and you hadnt access to soapy water, couldnt you just roll down the window until you could get it off?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭Dr. Seuss

Cremo wrote:
    would anyone seriously drive a car if something blocked their view?

The same idiot who parked illegaly to start with probably would.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,193 ✭✭✭PaulieC

I often wondered that myself. The notices are so sticky that it takes more than hot water and soap to remove them - you need some kind of thinners or paint stripper or something like that to fully remove all the adhesive. This is effectively vandalism being carried out on a Council's behalf. I know if I ever get one I'll be taking a claim in the small claims court for cleaning costs. I guess that will tell me one way or the other :D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,987 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

As Fey! said, they can be placed anywhere on a car except the windscreen and they can also stick them onto the panels if they want.
    The reason they are hard to get off is cause they are supposed to shame people into not parking illegally and also that if secruity see the sticker already on then they may clamp etc. But some people seem to ware them as a badge of honour.

I know it a bit high horse ish, but the easist way of dealing with them is to park legally then you don't have to worry about it.

Also it's the drivers responsiblity to make sure the car is in a road worthy condition before driving it, so if theres a sticker on the window the driver has to remove it before driving, not the security companies.

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭gibo_ie

Had this done to me in college, i went into the directors office and complained that it blocked my view and was dangerous as it could not be pealed off easily and cleanly. If it caused an accident i wuold hold him personally responsible.
    That evening it had been removed and cleaned and i was told that in future they would not be placed on the driver side window unless it was easily removable!!!
    1-0
    :)

DukeDredd wrote:
    Yes but is it not the people who put the sticker there that would be at fault?
    No, it's the person who chose to drive even though they couldn't see.
    DukeDredd wrote:
    It's hardly the car owners fault that someone has placed something in their field of view that they can't remove!
    In this case, it kind of is. In any case, if you can't see, for whatever reason, than you can't drive.

Come on, if someone stole your brakes would you still drive?:)

Anan1 wrote:
    Come on, if someone stole your brakes would you still drive?:)

Yes but only because i won't have realised it until i came to the first stop sign! :D

DukeDredd wrote:
    Yes but only because i won't have realised it until i came to the first stop sign! :D
    You might realize that your vision was blocked a bit earlier, though?;)

• Advertisement

They are not that hard to get off. Use warm water and a window scraper, the blade ones.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,304 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

I believe that the companies who put the stickers on the car are only permitted to put them on the rear passenger windows, as placing them on windscreens or front passenger windows obstructs visibility. I seem to remember a case being taken about this after someone had been in an accident after a sticker had been attached to their front window and they couldn't see oncoming traffic properly at a junction. Of course just because they're not supposed to put them on certain windows doesn't mean they won't.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭The tax man

saobh_ie wrote:
    I can't remember where but once I saw a car with a number of these stickers on every window and the windscreen. For sure he shouldn't have parked them but by putting stickers on the windows they've immobilised it.

Saw something similar a few years back. Car parked on the footpath at the entrance to a gated small estate near Xtravision in Rathgar.
    All the windows completely covered with these things. They left one clear spot on the windscreen about the size of a cd case so the driver could see out.

Saw something similar a few years back. Car parked on the footpath at the entrance to a gated small estate near Xtravision in Rathgar.
    All the windows completely covered with these things. They left one clear spot on the windscreen about the size of a cd case so the driver could see out.

This happens where i work too - some of the cars around are more sticker than glass. What i don't understand is why they continue to put new ones on these cars when the owner won't even notice!

Cremo wrote:
    so what do you do?, leave the car there? :confused:

( . )( . ) wrote:
    so what do you do?, leave the car there? :confused:
    Is this a joke? You remove the stickers.

Anan1 wrote:
    Is this a joke? You remove the stickers.
    no.

how do you remove the stickers?

( . )( . ) wrote:
    no.

how do you remove the stickers?
    I'm finding it hard to believe that these are serious questions. You soak the sticker in soapy water and gradually peel/scratch it off.

Anan1 wrote:
    I'm finding it hard to believe that these are serious questions. You soak the sticker in soapy water and gradually peel/scratch it off.
    i must remember to bring water and a bar of soap with me lol :D

• Advertisement

( . )( . ) wrote:
    i must remember to bring water and a bar of soap with me lol :D
    You buy them in a shop. If the nearest shop is too far away to walk to then you take a bus or a taxi. Are you honestly telling me that none of this would occur to you? What would you do, just stand there? Drive the car when you couldn't see out of it? And there was me assuming your choice of name was just a coincidence.;)

Advertisement