Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Bank Holiday = +2 cent on petrol?

Options
  • 30-05-2007 2:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭

I'v just noticed today as the back holiday weekend aproches petrol has gone from 116.9 to 118.9. (in Nenagh). Has this happened anywhere else? Do you think it's because of the bank holiday?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 madeupname

I've noticed that too, the greedy feckers at esso garage on n11 (near kilmacanoge) are now charging 122.9 for unleaded. Lot's of thirsty cars will be passing down that way over the bank-holiday so I wont be surpirsed if it goes up even further come monday. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

That happens ever bank holiday.They know we have no other choice :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

You do, brim it last week!

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭aben3313

you cant beat Tesco for cheaper petrol:D :p

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Petrol stations, like any other business, want to make as much profit as possible. Some charge higher prices than others on the basis that people are too lazy to shop around. Don't whine, just don't buy your fuel there.;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Anan1 wrote:
    Petrol stations, like any other business, want to make as much profit as possible. Some charge higher prices than others on the basis that people are too lazy to shop around. Don't whine, just don't buy your fuel there.;)
    In my town there are the expensive stations that set the price then about half of the other stations will set themselves exactly 1c cheaper. Is that really competition?

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭I.S.T.

tuxy wrote:
    In my town there are the expensive stations that set the price then about half of the other stations will set themselves exactly 1c cheaper. Is that really competition?

Another thing people should be aware of is the prices of products in the shop. Buying something in the wrong service station shop (especially oil, windscreen cleaners, etc) can more than wipe out any savings you made on shopping around for the petrol.

In fact if I owned a petrol station I would sell dirt cheap fuel and up the prices in the shop as no one seems to notice those.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,351 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Anan1 wrote:

Well said. There's always choice
    tuxy wrote:
    Is that really competition?

Nope. But how about the next town or other places you regularly pass?

tuxy wrote:
    If EVERYBODY bought from the cheapest stations and nobody was prepared to pay that extra 1c a litre then the more expensive stations would drop their prices within the week. I know it's not too practical, but that's how competitition works.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 madeupname

Anan1 wrote:

I agree completely, you should always shop around. And I would like to suggest to anyone driving up/down the N11 this weekend to avoid the petrol stations near kilmacanoge if possible. (keep to the 60Kmh limit as you go pass because this area of road is a bit dangerous with trucks entering/leaving station and accordinally is favorite for Garda speed checks on Bank holidays)

Good place to fill up would be in Rathnew, just a 5min spin off N11. Was 116.9c this morn for the petrol and great Brekkie Rolls too!!

• Advertisement

Probably the best way for most of us would be to simply fill up whenever we see cheap petrol, whether we need it or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭I.S.T.

www.pumps.ie & www.irishfuelprices.com are good sites to check petrol prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

Anan1 wrote:
    Probably the best way for most of us would be to simply fill up whenever we see cheap petrol, whether we need it or not.

Would you use more petrol to carry around a full tank?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭skyhighflyer

Expensive petrol is a pain in the arse, but having worked in a petrol station for a few years as a student, I don't really begrudge garages a couple of cent. A garage is *very* lucky to make 2-3 cent on a litre these days. Some weeks if there was a spike in the prices we wouldn't make any money at all on petrol. In most garages the coffee machine is more profitable than the petrol pumps :confused:

Add in the fact that on a busy bank holiday a large station can expect to have at least one drive-off, and bank holiday wages for the staff inside you can't complain IMO. If petrol stations are so profitable, why are so many closing down each year in Ireland?

The earlier poster was bang on - it's amazing how people will complain about petrol prices and yet hand over 2.20 for a cup of coffee and 4.20 for a roll in a garage with cheap petrol rather than go to a garage like mine where the petrol was always a couple of cent dearer but a roll is 3.40 and a cup of coffee 1.30.

Bluetonic wrote:
    A teeny weeny bit, perhaps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

You make good points about ways many of us waste money. But when I drive past petrol stations I actuality feel sick when I see yet another price hike.
    With the coffee or breaky roll I could make them at home and save a packet. But with petrol I have no choice. I think this is why many people complain so much about petrol prices.

118.9 is the cheapest in my town and the towns around me. I would have to use a lot more petrol to go somewhere cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

aben3313 wrote:
    you cant beat Tesco for cheaper petrol:D :p

That's because it's crap petrol. You lose car performance using it.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,351 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Caliden wrote:

Eh? Did a bloke in the pub tell you that or do you have anything to back that up?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Bluetonic wrote:
    Petrol is 0.6 times the weight of water. As we all know from school 1 litre of water weighs 1Kg. So, a 50 litre tank full weighs 30Kg. About the same weight as a small child.
    Caliden wrote:
    Tesco petrol = Statoil petrol.
    Unkel wrote:
    There's always choice
    Not always. In my home town all four petrol stations are charging 119.9. The next cheapest petrol station is 21 miles away.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

"Shopping around" is getting harder to do for me - I've lost count of the amount of service stations that have closed down on my route home. Luckily for me, I am near Apple and Tesco in Dundrum, but I'd say a lot of people aren't as fortunate.

• Advertisement
Advertisement