Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Three 10GB service €19.99

Options
  • 30-05-2007 2:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭

Three have introduced a 10GB / month download service at just €19.99 inc vat. - The only downside for some users is this package does not permit voice or messaging.

If you are on their 3gb service and don't use skype or messaging, you can change to the 10gb service from your next bill date.

Whilst they advertise speeds of up to 3.6mb, in reality expect 1.2 - 1.5mb (still rather good and better than most Eircom plans)

Competition is great.:)

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,196 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

If you're a very light user with no other option that's not too bad.
    Wouldn't want to be watching a lot of videos though. I expect their charge for over the 10GB limit will be quite something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Dankoozy

but.. how fast is upstream?

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Kevso

its 5c a mb once you go over the 10gb limit and it operates on a shared IP system. uploading is pretty slow too but overall its good value for money. Unfortunatly there is no online way that I know of to check how close to the limit you are. The program on the pc seems to keep track of download amounts but this doesnt seem to be too accurate

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭Irish Wolf

Lots and lots of discussion on it in the Mobiles & PDAs forum...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,213 ✭✭✭culabula

mcaul wrote:
    Three have introduced a 10GB / month download service at just €19.99 inc vat. - The only downside for some users is this package does not permit voice or messaging.

If you are on their 3gb service and don't use skype or messaging, you can change to the 10gb service from your next bill date.

Whilst they advertise speeds of up to 3.6mb, in reality expect 1.2 - 1.5mb (still rather good and better than most Eircom plans)

Competition is great.:)

The voice does not refer to VoiP/Skype -they mean voice calls over their network (i.e MO/MT calls). By messaging they are referring to their SMS facility only -not IM.

I have spent most of this evening talking via Skype to a friend in Kilkenny to whom I recommended this solution.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭ablelocks

I currently have this on trial and am still debating whether to keep it or go with a different broadband provider (thinking of chorus / utv )

max speed I've had in a week is 1.6mbps download / 60kbps upload approx., but mostly around 300-400kbps download. While far better than what I had (dial-up!), it's far lower than what I was expecting.

I'm wondering would I be better off with a fixed line provider - mobility is not an issue as the modem will be in the house 90% of the time?

any comments / advice / suggestions?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭ElNino

If the mobility factor isn't important to you then you will be far better off with DSL or wireless broadband. The way the 3G broadband works your speed drops every time another user is on the same cell as you. So the more popular the service becomes the worse speeds that you will get.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

If you don't need mobility then fixed (not Ripwave) is better price/performance.

The 3G / HSDPA /GPRS is for people who either really need mobile or can't get anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Hitchhiker's Guide to...

Got this 3 broadband last week. Works brilliant (in Rathmines). Can easily install it on multiple laptops etc as it is a USB point.

Seriously, i would highly recommend it, unless you will be downloading bundles of movies.

Tried Ripwave before from Irish Broadband - absolute cr*p
    Tried to get Eircom Broadband - over €120 to get line installed and then had to rent a phone line in addition to broadband, so crazy-expensive.
    Most of the other providers require you to have a phone line.

Until something else comes about, i think this is the best priced and quality service available if you don't have a phone line.

My 2 cents

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 PawelPabich

Any idea if it's possible to share that connection inside a house using a wireless router?

• Advertisement

Any idea if it's possible to share that connection inside a house using a wireless router?

Yes, if you get the datacard version and stick it in a Linksys router. Works really well.

Alternatively, if you have a Mac and the USB version, just simply click 'share this connection' in network.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 PawelPabich

I have already a wireless router that has only Ethernet sockets. I know that I can share the connection when other computer is connected to my laptop but I'm wondering if I can connect my wireless router to that card via kind of adapter or something.

I have already a wireless router that has only Ethernet sockets. I know that I can share the connection when other computer is connected to my laptop but I'm wondering if I can connect my wireless router to that card via kind of adapter or something.

I don't think so......

Advertisement