Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Introducing my dog to new baby

Options
  • 30-05-2007 2:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29

Hi all,

My sister just had a baby girl on Saturday morning. She's the cutest little thing. They came home on Monday.
    I've been letting my dog Bracken smell the baby clothes that need to be washed so she can get used to the smell. And just yesterday one of us would sit with the baby in our arms and let Bracken have a look at the baby. To be honest she wasn't that interested.
    Its just when the baby cries that Bracken seems to get a bit frightened. Bracken starts whinging & crying herself and stares at the baby.

I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions on what else I could do to?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭Jotter

I heard that if you record the baby crying and play it to the dog, it will allow her to get used to the sound without being scared of it, generally with a new baby crying people are a bit tense so shes prob picking up on that more than the noise.
    Its also a good idea to give lots of treats and attention to the dog when baby in room so she will learn that the baby is associated with good things.
    Obviously never leave them alone no matter how good a dog, babies like to pull hair etc, or in our case the dog will knock baby over.

good luck and congrats on being an aunt!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Bex01

Thanks for the advice Jotter.
    I was thinking of leaving the baby monitor in the kitchen where the dog sleeps so if the baby cries she can hear it.
    We have been giving her lots of treats when the baby is in the room, so she's getting spoilt herself :)

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Padjo1981

My dad told me that when I was brought home as a baby, he left some of my clothes that I had been wearing with the 2 dogs all the time, after a while the dogs were like my own protectors, the only ppl who could come near me were my mam and dad brother and sister. But that was a long time ago now

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭cmurph

yes i would secong giving the dog the babys clothes.....maybe a vest she was wearing and leave it with the dog.
    mt first daughter was born 6 years ago and we done this and within days the dog would lie in front of the babys basket in the sitting room and mind her.

as another poster has said also, lots of trats and attention for the dog and never leave them alone .

congrats

Advertisement