Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

full-time or part-time ??? HELP

Options
  • 30-05-2007 3:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10

Hey, here's the situation (I’ll try make it as easy to follow, apologies in advanced, SHORT VERSION BELOW):

> I'm 18
    > No idea really what I want to do in life
    > Did leaving cert last year and got 335 points. Not a lot compared to what I thought I wanted to study which was media studies or communications in DCU.
    > Got into DCU doing computer applications and dropped out in January.
    > Working now in an office were it is only busy during school hours, so summer will be really quiet with time to do with as I please, money is great and my job is secure, but I know I want to get a qualification and won't be here forever.
    > I applied to the CAO again this year; I have multimedia, communications and journalism all on top of my CAO. But realistically they are beyond me as they are in the mid 400s points wise. Realistically speaking the course I would be offered would be Gnó & Gaeilge in DCU.
    > I did business in school and although barely passed it in honors in the leaving cert I did enjoy it and since working where I am now a qualification in business seems like a good option. I'm fluent in Irish also.
    > So this course seems like a plausible option. Plus if I decided I did want to do media, I know I can get into it through this as the station manager of the radio station I volunteer with did this course also, said it is a very good course.
    > Though their is a chance I wont get offered this course as points can go up and down last year it was 340, 5 more than I got but demanded is lower than places available.
    > Been thinking that college evening part-time is now also an option as I can afford it because of my job. Thus would be able to work full time and have my flow of money, gain experience and still get a qualification all at the same time.
    > Dublin Business School would be most likely option. Still looking into it.

So now, what I was wondering. Do you think it be better if I quit my job in September, go back to DCU and do gnó & gaeilge (also a slight chance I can keep my job part-time as course is only 12hours of lectures a week, and my workplace is about 10minute drive from DCU) OR stay working full time and go to Dublin business school part-time at night to do either a diploma or degree? As there are no points involved here I can choose any evening degree or diploma, so I can do media studies, business etc... Although a lot of work would be involved I would be quiet in work at times so I could get a lot done there. Id b afraid I wouldn't stick at either degree's which is why I thought of doing a diploma, to see how I fair and it is only a year so I feel I can motivate myself to finish that.

Because I have fees to pay in all scenarios so I really want to make sure I make the right decision.

Do I study the one course I’ll get offered in CAO which I feel I can do but not 100% certain it’s what I want to do?
    Do I go to college part-time and pick a course as suits me even though would be more difficult?
    What's college part-time really like?
    What's Dublin business school like?

Thanks for reading, any help would be appreciated!!! I'm totally lost and confused....

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3 ashkins

No one replied to you.

What was your outcome?

I'm in the EXACT same boat now as you were back then.

What did you decide was best, and where has it led you to now?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Have a look at Balyfermot college of further education,they do some really good media courses one of which is to degree level.
    http://www.bcfe.ie/index.htm

Demand is very high there so probably no chance for htis year but worth looking at.

qualifax.ie lists nearly all the courses in the country so worth a look at too.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

From seanjohn88's profile:

Last Activity: 16-08-2007 15:35

So I can't see him answering this thread from way back then.

Advertisement