Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dell HD dieing, need new one!

Options
  • 30-05-2007 3:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 48

So I managed to get the HD backed up and I'm looking for a new internal HD. 250GB will replace the old one. How do I know if I need an IDE or a Serial one?

Saw one in PC World, Hitachi 250GB for 130eur approx but I see the online prices are hella cheaper so what would ye recommend and are they just plug and play.

Will this one work? This is for the family PC so getting it back up and working is the priority, don't need anything fancy.

I'm aware I'll have to reinstall windows after...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

What model Dell is it ?

You can find out if it's IDE or SATA by opening up the case and looking at the cable connection to the existing HDD, IDE being the big flat cable whereas SATA is a thin one.

That Seagate model is absolutely fine for the job if it takes IDE.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 TheMasterG

It's a Dell Dimension 4700 from about 2-3 years ago. Couldn't find any info on the Dell site...

Guess I'll take a look this eve unless anyone else knows offhand

Ok, it's the SATA type one, took the case of this evening.

So, looking on Komplett, what's the difference between these two if any :

http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=320708

http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=329044

???

Thanks

Well I ordered this one, think it should be ok.

Thanks for the help :)

Western Digital Caviar SE16 250GB SATA2 16MB 7200RPM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

What help lol??

• Advertisement

Well I didn't know about SATA and IDE and I would've ended up getting the IDE one incorrectly, so thanks 8T8 :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Ah i thought you worked that out yourself when you opened the case up.

Advertisement